Starting my Round Robin journey to improve my rating

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Well I didn't play TT for 20 years, since middle school, and I started to play more regularly late 2021. I spent 2022 trying to learn about the sport and improve my ability. 2023 I now start my journey of playing RR tournaments in Balboa and trying to get my rating up.

Today was my first day, and Im posting my results. I just picked a random rating of 1800 to get myself started, to my horror they placed me at the top table with 1900 and 2000 guys. I ended up with 2 wins, 2 losses. Im not sure if these club ratings are close to USATT ratings. But everybody around here kinda uses these as a benchmark.

I also bought a $12 tripod to record matches and ask for feedback here. And so I can remember the days when im 60.
Screenshot%202023%2001%2008%2012%2057%2012%20047%20com%20android%20chrome%20jpg.jpeg

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi MZ,

You are talking about the Korean with last name of Chang.

He uses his pips to control the ball then whacks you. if you are not used to the blocks, you hang yourself.

You MUST discover what serve(s) get you a predictable ball and attack decisively. if you fail to do that, you are at a huge disadvantage as he will control the rallies. You could also try to see what he attacks not so strong on long serves and counter from there. it isn't easy. The players who are there have figured him out if they have the physical and mental tools.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi MZ,

You are talking about the Korean with last name of Chang.

He uses his pips to control the ball then whacks you. if you are not used to the blocks, you hang yourself.

You MUST discover what serve(s) get you a predictable ball and attack decisively. if you fail to do that, you are at a huge disadvantage as he will control the rallies. You could also try to see what he attacks not so strong on long serves and counter from there. it isn't easy. The players who are there have figured him out if they have the physical and mental tools.
how do you know him?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Well I didn't play TT for 20 years, since middle school, and I started to play more regularly late 2021. I spent 2022 trying to learn about the sport and improve my ability. 2023 I now start my journey of playing RR tournaments in Balboa and trying to get my rating up.

Today was my first day, and Im posting my results. I just picked a random rating of 1800 to get myself started, to my horror they placed me at the top table with 1900 and 2000 guys. I ended up with 2 wins, 2 losses. Im not sure if these club ratings are close to USATT ratings. But everybody around here kinda uses these as a benchmark.

I also bought a $12 tripod to record matches and ask for feedback here. And so I can remember the days when im 60.
Screenshot%202023%2001%2008%2012%2057%2012%20047%20com%20android%20chrome%20jpg.jpeg

So what set-up are you using out of the so many that you have?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Actually I'm not really happy with my current setup, but its next in the backlog so I just put it on. I'm using Big Dipper on FH and 729 Presto Speed Max on BH on the Fang Bo carbon. The BD is a very welcome change and major upgrade over my previous rubber, the Target Pro 3. It's MUCH easier to look and counter loop and lift underspin. It's a lively and powerful and spinny rubber, it has it all. The backhand rubber feels weird to me. it seems to throw very low, and my normal backhand stroke doesn't go over the net. Instead I need to brush more than usual to get the ball over the net. So i'm very hesitant in game to use my BH at the moment.

But the BD is carrying the day for me right now.

I'm still saving my best rubbers, the Jupiter, for future use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022

Congrats Michael. Look forward to seeing your videos. I also just come back to TT after more than 20 years in 2022 and changed from penhold to shakehand as I found RPB too difficult for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Congrats Michael. Look forward to seeing your videos. I also just come back to TT after more than 20 years in 2022 and changed from penhold to shakehand as I found RPB too difficult for me.

Thanks for the encouragement! My goal this year is to record some good matches on video and get my rating to 1900 or above.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
how do you know him?

He is Korean, I speak Korean, we both live in California and we both go to tournaments. :D Maybe California will fall off into the ocean after the next earthquake too. :D

There is a biotech exec Korean dude named Soon in SD - he prolly goes to Balboa, ask him about some white skinned dude who plays TT and speaks Korean and likes cappuccino...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

He is Korean, I speak Korean, we both live in California and we both go to tournaments. :D Maybe California will fall off into the ocean after the next earthquake too. :D

There is a biotech exec Korean dude named Soon in SD - he prolly goes to Balboa, ask him about some white skinned dude who plays TT and speaks Korean and likes cappuccino...

lol I'll look out for them.

For the time being, I got my hands full with this Chang short pips guy. His style is pretty nasty. But, I think the basic strategy should be to not let him use his pips. To try to attack 3rd ball and loop his serves.

BTW, side question. During a game, if the ball clearly hits your opponent's hand/finger, do you call a fault on him?

Or do you just let it slide?

If the ball touches your PADDLE hand and otherwise results in a legal hit, there is no rule violation and play shall continue as normal. Your paddle hand includes all fingers and hand area below the wrist.

If the ball touches your hand and THEN paddle, or the other way around, this is considered a double touch and is a fault.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi MZ, back in the day, the laws of TT USED to call against these double hits, but more recent laws of TT state that now it must be an INTENTIONAL double strike.

How it is applied by umpires is that if there is a continuous swing and the ball his anywhere below the top of the wrist bone, the ball can strike say the side of finger and also then the racket. This would not be considered a double strike. Umpires look for the strike to be at wrist or below and a continuous swing.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Um, I hadn't thought about it yet. Maybe I would just post in this thread.

Why, is there a preference or something?

If you want feed back on tactics I suppose the 'How did I win or lose match' thread, if you want advice on technique, then the 'video safe footage' thread.

cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I live in Orange County, CA. And I can drive down on Saturday/Sunday when Balboa makes the Round Robin.
Let's talk through the internal chat 👌

Awesome look forward to seeing you! If you win the table, you get free Nittaku balls I believe.

I'll pay you $50 to lose to me on purpose so I can get a huge jump in my ratings. just kidding

• Haha
Reactions: VictorMoraga