What year did Hurricane 3 come out?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Gotta make another exception here as I haven't come across the exact date in English sources or even in Chinese sources.

Hurricane/Hurricane 2/Hurricane 3 were officially released on 2001/1/7 during the 27th Double Happiness Cup tournament. By that time, they had already been widely used by the CNT members.

In the early official articles and on the rubber package, it is stated Hurricane 2 was developed for Wang Liqin and Yan Sen for Sydney 2000, and Hurricane 3 was developed for control-oriented players and those with less power.

The day Hurricane 3 became widely known to table tennis players in China and eventually the world. 7 match points saved.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Gotta make another exception here as I haven't come across the exact date in English sources or even in Chinese sources.

Hurricane/Hurricane 2/Hurricane 3 were officially released on 2001/1/7 during the 27th Double Happiness Cup tournament. By that time, they had already been widely used by the CNT members.

In the early official articles and on the rubber package, it is stated Hurricane 2 was developed for Wang Liqin and Yan Shen for Sydney 2000, and Hurricane 3 was developed for control-oriented players and those with less power.

The day Hurricane 3 became widely known to table tennis players in China and eventually the world. 7 match points saved.

What was CNT using before Hurricane came out?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

In the early official articles and on the rubber package, it is stated Hurricane 2 was developed for Wang Liqin and Yan Sen for Sydney 2000, and Hurricane 3 was developed for control-oriented players and those with less power.

I have always heard about the hurricane 2, I must say it is even more powerful than H2, if you have the power and technique to drive it.

Jan 2018
Way before.

It is in the name. The first prototype of 729 came out of the lab in 1972/9. WTTC 1973 was the first time "729" made its international debut. They settled on the product name "Friendship 729" after the 1st Asian-African-Latin American Table Tennis Friendship Invitational Tournament that took place between 1973/8/25-9/6.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
729 Super has an anunotation on its dustcover "best performance with the speed glue". This upgraded 729 product had been supplied directly to CHINA national teams up to еarly 2000.

SAVE_20230324_232711.jpg
IMG_20230324_230405.jpg

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Thanks Zeio!

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Way before.

It is in the name. The first prototype of 729 came out of the lab in 1972/9. WTTC 1973 was the first time "729" made its international debut. They settled on the product name "Friendship 729" after the 1st Asian-African-Latin American Table Tennis Friendship Invitational Tournament that took place between 1973/8/25-9/6.
I think the first time I saw it in a catalog was possibly in a Tees Sport catalog.
It was the only rubber from Friendship!!! and it was known as ‘Friendship 729’
I don’t recall there being any other Chinese rubbers in the catalog either, but I may be wrong. This would have been around 1980 ish.
Perhaps some other forum British or European forum members may be able to say when they 1st heard that Chinese rubbers were available in the UK / Europe??

Jan 2018
Liu Guozheng had a big part to do with H3's popularity as he was often cited as the "representative figure" of H3.

Representative figures for:
H2 - Wang Liqin
H3 - Liu Guozheng
TG2 - Ma Lin
TG3 - Wang Hao

Reactions: latej
Jan 2018
I think the first time I saw it in a catalog was possibly in a Tees Sport catalog.
It was the only rubber from Friendship!!! and it was known as ‘Friendship 729’
I don’t recall there being any other Chinese rubbers in the catalog either, but I may be wrong. This would have been around 1980 ish.
Perhaps some other forum British or European forum members may be able to say when they 1st heard that Chinese rubbers were available in the UK / Europe??
Friendship 729 is the first tacky rubber in the world. From what I could gather, Ogimura from Japan said it was better than Mark V and many Japanese players liked it and made an order for 35000 pieces for the period 1979/8-12. Hong Kong and the US were making big orders. It wouldn't be surprising Europe was as well.

Reactions: IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Friendship 729 is the first tacky rubber in the world. From what I could gather, Ogimura from Japan said it was better than Mark V and many Japanese players liked it and made an order for 35000 pieces for the period 1979/8-12. Hong Kong and the US were making big orders. It wouldn't be surprising Europe was as well.
This all ties in, Friendship 729 made loud noises when it arrived!!!