Mizuno Q Quality a cheap and performant tensor that matches Tenergy 05 at half price

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I recently bought 2 sheets from TT-Japan, and I have read on Japanese sites that maybe Mizuno/Sumitomo has changed the formula a little due to covid availability etc etc...
So maybe 2022 rubbers are a bit different compared to 2023...

I used Q5 before and loved it until it bubbled up after about 2 months. (in less than 150hours)
3 things I didn't fancy about Q5 were smell (like ash), weight (heavy, 53g cut), and price (TT11 60EUR).

Now Q Quality elevates 4 of the 3 problems hopefully. It smells OK, it is below 50g on a slightly larger than Viscaria head, cheap as fruck (4200JPY that's 28-29EUR) and so far I have put in like 40-50 hours of play in them and they don't even have visible marks of use. (granted to me it seems the Revolution No 3 Rejuvenator does wonders on these rubbers of course this has nothing to do with bubbling up but no visible wear)

I will compare attributes to Tenergy 05.

Hardness: Let's get it out of the way. The black Q Quality is a bit harder, and the red is a bit softer. If I measure thier mass the black is ~49g, the red is ~47g. I have seen this with other rubbers too so it's fine. For me it means Q Quality black is FH and red is BH. I think Mizuno does this on purpose, however Tenergies are more consistent. Even the black is softer than a T05 and the red Q Quality is even softer.

Top sheet strength:
T05 and Q Quality topsheets feel very similar. Very stretchy, snappy, "bouncy", but T05 is more. T05 is more bouncy, more snappy, but I think Q Quality has a bit better grip. Both rubbers make a clicky or cracking sound if you hit the ball well, Q Quality makes it more consistantly and even on lighter strokes, so I would say Q Quality is easier to handle.

Sponge:
T05 feels a bit harder. Q Quality is softer but like Tenergy is more bouncy on low power shots and Q Quality is more bouncy if you hit very hard. I would say Q Quality is more like G-1 and is more linear while Tenergy is a bit on the opposite side. Saying the opposite is a bit of a stretch but their focus is different.

Speed: T05 is faster on low impact and slower if you hit hard. Q Quality is the opposite.

Arc: Q Quality can achieve T05 levels of high arc. No question about it. If you like T64 then you might not enjoy this one so much.

Bite: Q Quality has better bite. It's better than G-1 and quite similar to Glayzer.

Spin sensitivity: This is where T05 is a bit problematic. T05 is spin sensitive if you can't overwhelm your opponent spin. If you can overwhelm it then it's a very sharp tool.
Q Quality is easier to use, for sure it's not as a sharp tool as T05 if you get your angles right, but you will get your angles right with Q Quality while with T05 less so often.

2nd and 3rd ball kill: I like the Q Quality for that, if you hit very hard it doesn't drop the ball so you can kind of play with it like with a H3 blue sponge. For sure you need adjustments but it can do it very consistently which you cannot say about many German made ESN rubbers.

Serve receive, flicking: Q Quality owns T05.

I think Tenergy works better on slower, soft blades and Q Quality works better on faster blades. If one has a fast and soft feeling blade Q Quality will be god tier.

For me Q Quality topsheet is shinier than Q5, and seems more wear resistant but if it looks more used doesn't mean it performs more used. So I cannot judge Q5 was more worn, just looked more worn.

From my memory, Q5 was a higher performing rubber but harder to utilize. Q Quality is a gentleman, it serves you the best champagne on a golden platter. It really is a slave rubber and the best kind. I miss Q5 in some regards, since it bubbled up on me I used many rubbers from D09c, Glayzers, Victas V20, V15, Nittaku G1, but I always remember Q5. And Q Quality kinda fills up my void.

I have used Q Quality on a very hard and stiff blade, it's called Joola Zhou Qihao S-Alc 90 and it works very well, however I think the rubbers would be even better on an outer ZLC blade with koto top ply like Lin Yun Ju Super ZLC etc.

If one is looking for the good old speed glue effect then look no further, Q Qualtiy is the best as it gets for now. It's availability is limited, but it's cheap and very high quality as the naming suggests.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
If anyone knows where to buy this in EU for similar price, the information would be greatly appreciated :)
Not available anywhere in EU. Your best bet is TT-Japan, their pricing and shipping price, and overall service is impeccable. Sure you need to wait 2 weeks but you only need to wait once. And probably you are better off with TT-Japan since if I look at Q5, their delivered cost is better than TT11 (I'm just saying that since TT11 is "selling" Q5)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Not available anywhere in EU. Your best bet is TT-Japan, their pricing and shipping price, and overall service is impeccable. Sure you need to wait 2 weeks but you only need to wait once. And probably you are better off with TT-Japan since if I look at Q5, their delivered cost is better than TT11 (I'm just saying that since TT11 is "selling" Q5)
Are you by chance from EU? I remember there are additional taxes on imports from Japan. One of my friends has a club mate from Japan, maybe he will carry this for me since he often flies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Are you by chance from EU? I remember there are additional taxes on imports from Japan. One of my friends has a club mate from Japan, maybe he will carry this for me since he often flies.
Let's say I know how the EU customs operate. If your friend can smuggle it in a buttcrack then by all means do that. Obviously, I'm joking. In a bag it can be easily imported without fees.

If you import it the legal/normal way your local post will charge you some duty handling fee and the local VAT fee. But even with everything this rubber is super competitively priced and challenges Chinese rubber prices.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hmm interesting.
Shipping ~10€
Base price 28,55€
Vat 23%
import tax 3%
---------------
36€ + shipping

Still acceptable price. Provided the tax office won't force you to go through import company which is 25€ service... Might just be good enough I organize some sort of group buy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
I recently bought 2 sheets from TT-Japan, and I have read on Japanese sites that maybe Mizuno/Sumitomo has changed the formula a little due to covid availability etc etc...
So maybe 2022 rubbers are a bit different compared to 2023...

I used Q5 before and loved it until it bubbled up after about 2 months. (in less than 150hours)
3 things I didn't fancy about Q5 were smell (like ash), weight (heavy, 53g cut), and price (TT11 60EUR).

Now Q Quality elevates 4 of the 3 problems hopefully. It smells OK, it is below 50g on a slightly larger than Viscaria head, cheap as fruck (4200JPY that's 28-29EUR) and so far I have put in like 40-50 hours of play in them and they don't even have visible marks of use. (granted to me it seems the Revolution No 3 Rejuvenator does wonders on these rubbers of course this has nothing to do with bubbling up but no visible wear)

I will compare attributes to Tenergy 05.

Hardness: Let's get it out of the way. The black Q Quality is a bit harder, and the red is a bit softer. If I measure thier mass the black is ~49g, the red is ~47g. I have seen this with other rubbers too so it's fine. For me it means Q Quality black is FH and red is BH. I think Mizuno does this on purpose, however Tenergies are more consistent. Even the black is softer than a T05 and the red Q Quality is even softer.

Top sheet strength:
T05 and Q Quality topsheets feel very similar. Very stretchy, snappy, "bouncy", but T05 is more. T05 is more bouncy, more snappy, but I think Q Quality has a bit better grip. Both rubbers make a clicky or cracking sound if you hit the ball well, Q Quality makes it more consistantly and even on lighter strokes, so I would say Q Quality is easier to handle.

Sponge:
T05 feels a bit harder. Q Quality is softer but like Tenergy is more bouncy on low power shots and Q Quality is more bouncy if you hit very hard. I would say Q Quality is more like G-1 and is more linear while Tenergy is a bit on the opposite side. Saying the opposite is a bit of a stretch but their focus is different.

Speed: T05 is faster on low impact and slower if you hit hard. Q Quality is the opposite.

Arc: Q Quality can achieve T05 levels of high arc. No question about it. If you like T64 then you might not enjoy this one so much.

Bite: Q Quality has better bite. It's better than G-1 and quite similar to Glayzer.

Spin sensitivity: This is where T05 is a bit problematic. T05 is spin sensitive if you can't overwhelm your opponent spin. If you can overwhelm it then it's a very sharp tool.
Q Quality is easier to use, for sure it's not as a sharp tool as T05 if you get your angles right, but you will get your angles right with Q Quality while with T05 less so often.

2nd and 3rd ball kill: I like the Q Quality for that, if you hit very hard it doesn't drop the ball so you can kind of play with it like with a H3 blue sponge. For sure you need adjustments but it can do it very consistently which you cannot say about many German made ESN rubbers.

Serve receive, flicking: Q Quality owns T05.

I think Tenergy works better on slower, soft blades and Q Quality works better on faster blades. If one has a fast and soft feeling blade Q Quality will be god tier.

For me Q Quality topsheet is shinier than Q5, and seems more wear resistant but if it looks more used doesn't mean it performs more used. So I cannot judge Q5 was more worn, just looked more worn.

From my memory, Q5 was a higher performing rubber but harder to utilize. Q Quality is a gentleman, it serves you the best champagne on a golden platter. It really is a slave rubber and the best kind. I miss Q5 in some regards, since it bubbled up on me I used many rubbers from D09c, Glayzers, Victas V20, V15, Nittaku G1, but I always remember Q5. And Q Quality kinda fills up my void.

I have used Q Quality on a very hard and stiff blade, it's called Joola Zhou Qihao S-Alc 90 and it works very well, however I think the rubbers would be even better on an outer ZLC blade with koto top ply like Lin Yun Ju Super ZLC etc.

If one is looking for the good old speed glue effect then look no further, Q Qualtiy is the best as it gets for now. It's availability is limited, but it's cheap and very high quality as the naming suggests.

Which rubber would you recommend for a beginner/intermediate (around two years "proper" training) who:
Likes to play close to the table.
Whose strength compared so similarly rated players is serving.
Doesn't want a too bouncy ESN rubber or Hurricane type rubber.
Plays with 5 or 7-ply wooden ALL+/Off- blade.

Glayzer, Rozena or Q Quality? Or any other rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
very nice review, i have played with Q5 before, and onething that i dont like is weight of this rubber. Now iam playing with jun ZLC + dig 64 and ten 64. I have seen so many review of you about japan and gemany rubber. Can you recommend some combo for me. I play attack all forehand and backhand mid distance from table. Thanks very much

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Which rubber would you recommend for a beginner/intermediate (around two years "proper" training) who:

I think Rozena is quite bouny even if you don't wish for it so I don't know about that.
Maybe something like Rhyzen CMD or Rhyzen Ice, Fastarc C-1. I guess something like the Andro GTT or Good is for starter players so those might be out of the question.

Honestly just from the quality Mizuno has been putting out with Q5 and Q Quality I would wager the Q1 is probably a great intermediate rubber. Tho I have not tried it but it's cheap.

Reactions: nicedream
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
very nice review, i have played with Q5 before, and onething that i dont like is weight of this rubber. Now iam playing with jun ZLC + dig 64 and ten 64. I have seen so many review of you about japan and gemany rubber. Can you recommend some combo for me. I play attack all forehand and backhand mid distance from table. Thanks very much
Actually there are not many rubbers that are similar to T64 or D64, There was Rakza 9, Rasanter V series and I guess the Rhyzer 48 was something like that too. I probably would avoid all of these. I tried Rhyzer 48 it's boosted to oblivion.

From Mizuno the Q3 was the T64 equivalent.

From ESN your best bet I would say is the V>15 Extra as a T64 replacement.

I played way too many rubbers, German rubbers (for a few exeptions are not very durable G-1 and V15E are pretty durable) they change playing characteristics if they are factory boosted, and most are boosted.

I played D64 and D09c and D05 and honestly I enjoyed D09c a lot but I think Q5 was better for me and Q Quality is slower than Q5 (probably around D09c speed) but if I hit hard it's fast (faster than D09c) and so easy to use. It holds the ball tremendously even better than Glayzer or anything else. And for sure the Mizutani ZLC blade will be sufficiently fast. It should be mabe a bit slower than ZQ S-ALC but I think it's softer so maybe even better in some regards.

QQ + V15E, sounds good to me or if weight is very important V11E is pretty good too and light. But Butterfly is really good at wieght/performance, it's not matched by anyone so far. Mizuno is pretty good too.
Or if you don't want German rubbers Q3 is totally good and I think that is still being manufactured. But two QQ is pretty good for me so I recommend it.

QQ has the best speed glue effect I have ever felt and it doesn't seem to be boosted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Actually there are not many rubbers that are similar to T64 or D64, There was Rakza 9, Rasanter V series and I guess the Rhyzer 48 was something like that too. I probably would avoid all of these. I tried Rhyzer 48 it's boosted to oblivion.

From Mizuno the Q3 was the T64 equivalent.

From ESN your best bet I would say is the V>15 Extra as a T64 replacement.

I played way too many rubbers, German rubbers (for a few exeptions are not very durable G-1 and V15E are pretty durable) they change playing characteristics if they are factory boosted, and most are boosted.

I played D64 and D09c and D05 and honestly I enjoyed D09c a lot but I think Q5 was better for me and Q Quality is slower than Q5 (probably around D09c speed) but if I hit hard it's fast (faster than D09c) and so easy to use. It holds the ball tremendously even better than Glayzer or anything else. And for sure the Mizutani ZLC blade will be sufficiently fast. It should be mabe a bit slower than ZQ S-ALC but I think it's softer so maybe even better in some regards.

QQ + V15E, sounds good to me or if weight is very important V11E is pretty good too and light. But Butterfly is really good at wieght/performance, it's not matched by anyone so far. Mizuno is pretty good too.
Or if you don't want German rubbers Q3 is totally good and I think that is still being manufactured. But two QQ is pretty good for me so I recommend it.

QQ has the best speed glue effect I have ever felt and it doesn't seem to be boosted.
Thanks very mucb

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

I just remembered about the Xiom Vega Europe, that is a nice intermediate rubber too.
But honestly I don't think its price can compete with Q1, Q1 is like 3600JPY ~24-5EUR. Sure shipping is probably double from Japan than from EU in cost and there is also VAT and some duty fee, but I doubt that Vega Europe can be bought for less than 30EUR in EU.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I just remembered about the Xiom Vega Europe, that is a nice intermediate rubber too.
But honestly I don't think its price can compete with Q1, Q1 is like 3600JPY ~24-5EUR. Sure shipping is probably double from Japan than from EU in cost and there is also VAT and some duty fee, but I doubt that Vega Europe can be bought for less than 30EUR in EU.

Not sure if the free delivery is international or Poland only.
Price is tied to PLN. So when Polski Złoty plumets the price will drop as well.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Kokutaku recently came out with a variety of revamped products, affordable price. Be alert of the false ittf logo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
@Zwill, what sponge thickness did you buy. TT-J lists 2.1, 1.9, 1.7 for QQ and Q1, which i would be interested. This would be for "new to RPB" for offhand use, so if color matters (?red softer?) please rec which way you would go. Blade would be Sanwei Flextra or DHS PG7 5-7ply wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Kokutaku recently came out with a variety of revamped products, affordable price. Be alert of the false ittf logo.
Mind sharing the link to view kokutaku products? They are quite low profile so it is hard to find anything regarding them online

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
@Zwill, what sponge thickness did you buy. TT-J lists 2.1, 1.9, 1.7 for QQ and Q1, which i would be interested. This would be for "new to RPB" for offhand use, so if color matters (?red softer?) please rec which way you would go. Blade would be Sanwei Flextra or DHS PG7 5-7ply wood.
I bought both in 2.1mm. For sure I would chose red for BH, 2.1mm is very stable for me, and I`m used to that thickness. QQ catches the ball automatically even if you hit it very thin. But since you mention you are new to RPB then Q1 might be the better option for now as it seems to be easier to use and maybe even bouncier if you don`t have to power and technique developed yet. Q1 is potentially lighter too so that`s also not a bad thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
@Zwill, thanks!
i'll probably purchase 3-4 each of QQ&Q1 in BH Red 2.1 for so i have spares for later and will set up a flextra, a pg7 and a yasaka ma lin extra offensive in CP. I can then later switch out to QQ on my favorite blade of the three. Any good FH rubber at the site for the FH side of those paddles that I could pick up when i'm placing my order?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
@Zwill, thanks!
i'll probably purchase 3-4 each of QQ&Q1 in BH Red 2.1 for so i have spares for later and will set up a flextra, a pg7 and a yasaka ma lin extra offensive in CP. I can then later switch out to QQ on my favorite blade of the three. Any good FH rubber at the site for the FH side of those paddles that I could pick up when i'm placing my order?
Next time I need to buy I will probably do the same and buy 2 sets at least.

Not sure what you prefer for your forehand but from they have all the latest ESN stuff from sticky rubbers and tensors. And they have some Chinese like Hurricanes and 729. If you like hybrids then I would probably go with Glayzer 09c (which TT-Japan doesn't carry for international delivery), while K3 and Donic C2 etc etc is pretty good in the beginning their durability is absolute poop.

If you want a softer, bouncier Chinese rubber H8-80 is awesome. I think they don't have it but aliexpress does.

But QQ is good on FH too, I played a lot with hybrids and Chinese, but don't miss them now at all.

Reactions: Choosikick