We've done it. Cassel is going to the World Championships!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Update at around 3 p.m. (SA Time) on May 12, 2023, of the fundraising:

We have hit our target to raise a revised (reduced) target of R34000. We are at R38000.

Donors from around the world contributed to this cause, with table tennis fans and over a dozen national players from Taiwan contributing to over 50% of the total raised within the past 36 hours too. This included a school team of 27 players (13–18 years old) contributing what little spending money they had to this cause. I was extremely touched.

We also received very generous contributions from the USA, Canada, Nigeria, India, England, Australia, and South Africa.
This included a lady that is not involved with table tennis donating R6000 and a gentleman donating twice; his words were during the second time when I checked if he made a mistake by donating twice: "Trying to help get (the kids) there faster".

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of the 60 or so people that made this possible and SATTB for providing Cassel complimentary tickets to the value of R18200.

On Monday, May 8, 2023, our initial target was to raise R68200.
Through the removal of ticket costs and seeking cost savings around accommodation, transportation, and meals, a revised R34000 was deemed the breakeven point to make the trip possible.

The proceeds of the fundraising will go towards the trip, and any excess will be put towards resources for table tennis development at the club.

Cassel is going to the World Championships.

Thank you all for making this happen.

345896558_1823019171431812_4354642880839002776_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Great news ! please bring us some photos and videos in this topic.
That is definitely going to happen

A bit sad that I won't be at the world champs, otherwise I would be able to get Cassel to have photos with so many teams.

I already spoken to the Chinese Taipei team, and they will make a plan to get together with them (some of them contributed). Aruna too (if he gets far enough, otherwise he could fly out before Cassel gets there)

Reactions: obsidian d
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So Cassel is leaving tomorrow at 5pm.
They will arrive in Durban around 8am on Friday.

From 1 Coach and 13 players
it is now 1 Coach, 1 teacher, 1 driver and 15 players (had to get a teacher on, to make it a schools excursion to allow for 2 days of "leave" from school.)
They are still only staying 2 nights, but from 14, now there is 18 people.

We saved a lot of money on the expense part (ie renting a car and getting a driver), and we are still continuing receiving donations, while they know we hit our target. There was even a big amount in around 1 hour ago, from an active Chinese Taipei national senior player. I am really touched that we are close to 100 people contributing.

I actually had some difficulties getting the money to Cassel, since, they have some challenges/difficulty in spending that money... and I never expected this....
1), they don't have credit card,
2) they don't have internet banking,
3) the closes bank is 83 km away.
4) the club's debit card has not been in use for a long time, and card was cancelled.

Initially, I thought I can just transfer the money and I can focus on other work, but since last week, I had to pay the car hire, hotel, and help Willice get his debit card in order (as we need that for meals), so he won't need to carry cash around. I had to also arrange backup in case his debit card can't work.... Wow. I didn't expect challenges on "not able to spend the money" from happening.

I'm also visiting one of the teams that helped tremendously in this campaign on Saturday, and we will do a video call, Kids with Kids, it should be lovely.
I'm also trying to arrange some high profile individuals to meet and take photos of Team Cassel.

Overall, it has been a very taxing, but enjoyable experience.
Its the first time i'm raising funds and first time doing something in this kind of level.
I am very touched with all those who contributed, especially many that do not know me in person, and I haven't even meet Willice/Cassel in person too. It is all based on faith on humanity.

These kids would be the most disadvantage kids going to this world championships, and possible of all previous world championships too.

Thank you to everyone on TTD, including Dan, that contributed.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
So Cassel is leaving tomorrow at 5pm.
They will arrive in Durban around 8am on Friday.

From 1 Coach and 13 players
it is now 1 Coach, 1 teacher, 1 driver and 15 players (had to get a teacher on, to make it a schools excursion to allow for 2 days of "leave" from school.
They are still only staying 2 nights, but from 14, now there is 18 people.

We saved a lot of money on the expense part (ie renting a car and getting a driver), and we are still continuing receive donations, while they know we hit our target. There is even a big amount in around 1 hour ago, from an active Chinese Taipei national senior player. I am really touched that we are close to 100 people contributing.

I actually had some difficulties getting the money to Cassel, since, they have some challenges/difficulty spending that money... and I never expected this....
1), they don't have credit card,
2) they don't have internet banking,
3) the closes bank is 83 km away.
4) the club's debit card has not been in use for a long time, and card was cancelled.

Initially, I thought I can just transfer the money and I can focus on other work, but this week, I had to pay the car hire, hotel, and help Willice get his debit card in order (as we need that for meals), so he won't need to carry cash around. I had to also arrange backup in case his debit card can't work.... Wow. I didn't expect challenges on "not able to spend the money" from happening.

I'm also visiting one of the teams that helped tremendously in this campaign on Saturday, and we will do a video call, Kids with Kids, it should be lovely.
I'm also trying to arrange some high profile individuals to meet and take photos of Team Cassel.

Overall, it has been a very taxing, but enjoyable experience.
Its the first time i'm raising funds and first time doing something in this kind of level.
I am very touched with all those who contributed, especially many do not know me in person, and I haven't even meet Willice/Cassel in person too. It is all based on faith on humanity.

These kids would be the most disadvantage kids going to this world championships, and possible of all previous world championships too.

Thank you to everyone on TTD, include Dan, that contributed.
Great job - I am sure you are making a big difference in these kids lives, so thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Great job - I am sure you are making a big difference in these kids lives, so thank you.
It is the 100 people that supported the initialed that made the big difference.
I would have never been able to do it alone.

I have to say, Willice had probably put more human hours behind it than I had, and I sure spent a lot of hours on it.
Willice was finding ways to do everything cheaper, so everyone can go. Now more people are going.
Overall, every one is happy.

Thank you everyone.

Reactions: ttarc and Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi All,
So after a 14 hour road trip, Team Cassel has finally arrived in Durban, and has been at the hall since around 6 hours ago.
I also arranged for them to go to the athlete village for some interactions and photos taken with a few pro friends of mine (it was a short notice, so only 4 players was there).

Tomorrow, I'm going to a pro team, where there are 27 players from 13~18 years old, and maybe 10 over 18 years old, that contributed to the cause.
Will also do a live video call between the two teams, 1) to get the team to thank them in person, 2) to have a "fun" session where kids from both sides can interact through the love of the game.