ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals Busan 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
1st in group (8 teams) get a bye in R24 of main draw
2nd and 3rd get drawn in R24 of main draw
Those reaching QF qualify for team event of Paris 2024 and get 2 singles spots automatically.

That's why JPN vs TPE was so heated. Losing there could mean running into CHN sooner than wanted.

Yep

so TPE should be safe getting into R16 to face group winners.
But then if they drawn into CHN (chance is 1 in 8), then the players need to take part in Asian olympic qualifiers, which they should still have a good chance to qualify two. But the ball is round, you just never know....

TPE did not progress in 2022 from groups, so it is a self influenced problem... they were just unlucky to be drawn against Japan. They could of been drawn against China too. I think it was always going to be a challenge no matter which group, other than group 8.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Assuming CHN (confirmed), GER, KOR (confirmed), FRA (confirmed), JPN, SWE, BRA, and POR (confirmed) all finish 1st in group:
MT QF
CHN
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
KOR/FRA
KOR/FRA
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
GER

• Love
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Assuming CHN (confirmed), GER, KOR (confirmed), FRA (confirmed), JPN, SWE, BRA, and POR (confirmed) all finish 1st in group:
MT QF
CHN
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
KOR/FRA
KOR/FRA
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
JPN/SWE/BRA/POR
GER
ok thats what i wanted to know. they use team ranking to do that and not group numbers. and make a random draw.
in Football (soccer) world cup , we already know for example in advance that Group A winner will face GroupB 2nd in next stage and Group C winner will face group E 3rd [just an example]
they don't use FIFA ranking

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
how do you have a spare passport....
I can understand dual nationality, so 2 different passports.... but spare passport is new to me.

4 blade is normal,
40 rubbers for a tournament.... that is not normal to me. haha
it is basically 5 pairs per blade
It is normal to have 4 pairs (on the 4 blades) on already, and have around another 4~8 pairs as spares.... (so he carried extra 2 to 3 pairs per blade as spare's spare) lol
2 duplicate passports definitely isn't normal. But being in a different country competing every few weeks isn't normal either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
how do you have a spare passport....
I can understand dual nationality, so 2 different passports.... but spare passport is new to me.

4 blade is normal,
40 rubbers for a tournament.... that is not normal to me. haha
it is basically 5 pairs per blade
It is normal to have 4 pairs (on the 4 blades) on already, and have around another 4~8 pairs as spares.... (so he carried extra 2 to 3 pairs per blade as spare's spare) lol
some pros i know, they replace rubbers after every match. they always bring MORE stuff for every situation as they possibly could (boosting goes wrong, bad gluejob, the rubbers are not consistent, etc.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
some pros i know, they replace rubbers after every match. they always bring MORE stuff for every situation as they possibly could (boosting goes wrong, bad gluejob, the rubbers are not consistent, etc.)
that is why you have 4 setup (some have more than 4)
for the glue job or boosting problem, you would need to move over to these 4 seteps

Then when you get back to the hotel, you "replace" the rubber of the glue/boosting one.
Boosting takes time too

To go through 20 pairs on 4 blades, is really not normal. so it is a lot of spares.
But yeah, Dima is a top Butterfly pro, if he wanted 50 pairs, i'm sure he can get it.

How many setup does Boll prepare? I recall it was 6 or 8 in his video

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I agree that the social media videos are really not educational, and the crowd-sourcing of opinions is just promoting "basement rules". (You must serve diagonally in singles, you can not serve out over the sidelines, you can not return around the net, you can not speak (at all) during the rally etc. etc.).

Then again we do mistakes. For me these three situations are like this:

Chuang: The assistant umpire is 100 % responsible for edgeballs on her side. This is a matter of fact. The decision is final and can not be changed (even if it should be wrong). Sometimes it will be wrong. If you hear the contact in this situation, it is probably on the surface. If you don't hear/see the contact it is probably out. Side is not likely, but might happen. So here we are stuck with what the AU sees. Training helps, but mistakes will happen.

Second: Probably wrong person in wrong place at the wrong time. Call the referee. Change the umpire.

Omar/ML: Easy call. Omar hits out. ML has both feet outside the table, and the ball hits his chest. The ball has crossed the sideline, so no obstruction. Point ML. No controversy really. (A question, a call, and play on).

I agree that it would be helpful with some insight in why calls are made, even when it is wrong. Some things ends up in HMO or FAQ, but not all. I am not sure what the solution should be, but there is a need to increase the understanding of the law among "normal and normal+" followers of the sport. "
Umpires are getting better and better, with evaluations, assesments etc. But it still is voluntary work, not well paid, and not a "day-job". The best umpires are excellent, the BB-level is really good, and then the level is inconsistant among the rest. Mistakes will be done - but hopefully not as many mistakes as the players do during a match ;)

I think you raised a fair point.

I don't like how ITTF handles its umpire/referee dispute management.
I'm not sure if there is anything behind the scenes (ie apologies to national associations), but since TT has 200 national associations members and claim to be one of the biggest sports in the world, it would be better if ITTF technical committee gives press releases on different umpire/referee incidents and give explanations and what not.
so far, it is only forum or social media talk and no one serious is wanting to give voice.

If any, ITTF technical committee are at fault with this incident, but now, it seems to be a Singaporean cheater versus a Swedish moaner... the players are the victim to me if the umpires can't withhold the rule book correctly.

I love ITTF to talk about this too:

In the case of the latter, I know there was no apologies by ITTF given to the 2 victims.

and then you have that incident of Ma Long blocking the balls path while the ball is still live and within the boundary of the table. WTT social media then puts a post to ask the fans, if it is in or out... I was like, I want to hear that answer from the ITTF Technical Committee, as your umpire said its out, while camera angle does show Ma Long blocking a live ball (whether the ball will land in or not, is not the debate). So they rather make a social media post for engagement, but silent from technical committee.

and I also feel, post match punishments on unsportsmanlike behavior needs to be in placed - given by the same technical committee via press release or press conference.
IE, throwing rackets across the playing area.
Either a fine and/or banning on participation and/or reduction or ranking points.

that red card (if even given) is nothing and if TT wants to be serious, it should learn from the bigger sports. That is my take
r

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
that is why you have 4 setup (some have more than 4)
for the glue job or boosting problem, you would need to move over to these 4 seteps

Then when you get back to the hotel, you "replace" the rubber of the glue/boosting one.
Boosting takes time too

To go through 20 pairs on 4 blades, is really not normal. so it is a lot of spares.
But yeah, Dima is a top Butterfly pro, if he wanted 50 pairs, i'm sure he can get it.

How many setup does Boll prepare? I recall it was 6 or 8 in his video
true but that's not everyone. some players prefer a particular blade and keep using the same blade throughout a tournament. in sport, a lot of players have superstitious routine that they insist on following. Especially after losing, they'll rip the rubbers off and throw them away (like Chen Meng and Zhu Yuling in CNT)

i don't know about Dima but having more is usually better than less.

Jan 2018
That's why Ovtcharov can't beat ML. For WTTC 2007, the average number of rubbers per player was 60 and they brought 24 buckets of glue, each weighing close to 2 kg. For London 2012, even DN brought 5 blades and 30 rubbers. For Rio 2016, the number of rubbers per player was 100 (50 each for FH and BH).

国乒轻松踏上世乒赛征程 刘凤岩称决战萨格勒布
https://sports.sohu.com/20070512/n249980521.shtml
另外,行李里,中国队主力选手平均每人携带的胶皮就有60块之多,而每筒近2公斤的胶水,中国队带了24筒。这是队伍行李里最重要的东西之一。领队黄飚说:“这些东西是命根子,单项比赛轮次多,万一胶皮出问题,胶水不够用,对队员的影响可就大了。”

丁宁出征携5块球板 施之皓:该准备的都已准备
http://2012.sina.com.cn/cn/tt/2012-07-17/141113005.shtml
被问到自己的行李箱都准备了哪些必需品,丁宁笑了笑说道,“衣服应该是带够了,另外还有5块板,胶皮有个二、三十块吧。”

mpiBL4R.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That's why Ovtcharov can't beat ML.
LOL
this 50+50 is an order sheet
from stock arrival to olympic start date was around 6 months

I personally didn't believe those 50 pairs will last 6 months, so another order was likely coming through before olympics, maybe for closed training
They tend to receive 50 at a time

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
TPE is really living on thin ice

1708341556356.png

3 group matches, they been using the same 3 players.
with only 1 group match left and also a must win against 2nd last seed Madagascar....would the 2 bench players play?
based on result versus same opponent, I think lin and kao must stay on to ensure 3 points.
or will they rest both kao and chuang.
I do think Feng and Lin can also take 3 points.

1708341436477.png

Attachments

• 1708341322362.png
    1708341322362.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
TPE is really living on thin ice

View attachment 28449

3 group matches, they been using the same 3 players.
with only 1 group match left and also a must win against 2nd last seed Madagascar....would the 2 bench players play?
based on result versus same opponent, I think lin and kao must stay on to ensure 3 points.
or will they rest both kao and chuang.
I do think Feng and Lin can also take 3 points.

View attachment 28448
Kao CJ beat Tomas 3-0 all 11:0?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree that the social media videos are really not educational, and the crowd-sourcing of opinions is just promoting "basement rules". (You must serve diagonally in singles, you can not serve out over the sidelines, you can not return around the net, you can not speak (at all) during the rally etc. etc.).
well, the powers to be are not making use of these cases to make it educational
like WTT making it an "income generation" video clip (Ma Long example). they get tons of traffic and still don't come out to give an answer.
Then again we do mistakes. For me these three situations are like this:

Chuang: The assistant umpire is 100 % responsible for edgeballs on her side. This is a matter of fact. The decision is final and can not be changed (even if it should be wrong). Sometimes it will be wrong. If you hear the contact in this situation, it is probably on the surface. If you don't hear/see the contact it is probably out. Side is not likely, but might happen. So here we are stuck with what the AU sees. Training helps, but mistakes will happen.
so if it is a mistake, would it be correct to acknowledge the mistake when challenged even after the match, or is it blocked off/walled off. The umpire ruling is final and no one has the right to ask for any explanation.
Second: Probably wrong person in wrong place at the wrong time. Call the referee. Change the umpire.
I would imagine referee or someone is keeping an eye on all tables.
remember, this is WTT we are talking about, there isn't too many tables playing in the same time.
From what I was told from one of the players in the video, the umpire fell asleep too.
Why doesn't the umpire call the match referee and excuse himself, but it should be the job of the players?

Yes players can do it, but both players didn't want to cause a scene and they thought "things will become better" as the umpire wakes up.

I wonder do umpires get alcohol test every morning?

Omar/ML: Easy call. Omar hits out. ML has both feet outside the table, and the ball hits his chest. The ball has crossed the sideline, so no obstruction. Point ML. No controversy really. (A question, a call, and play on).
so is the law of table tennis based on sideline also, and not just base line?
to me, the path of the ball is going into the table from the outside. We all know curve shots of possible, especially since the Chuang example, any type of curve is possible :p

I agree that it would be helpful with some insight in why calls are made, even when it is wrong. Some things ends up in HMO or FAQ, but not all. I am not sure what the solution should be, but there is a need to increase the understanding of the law among "normal and normal+" followers of the sport. "
yes, so it would be professional if ITTF or WTT level talks about it post match or post tournament.
silent should be the last resort.
Umpires are getting better and better, with evaluations, assesments etc. But it still is voluntary work, not well paid, and not a "day-job". The best umpires are excellent, the BB-level is really good, and then the level is inconsistant among the rest. Mistakes will be done - but hopefully not as many mistakes as the players do during a match ;)
yes, I know umpires are paid peanuts. so interesting where all the money goes
doesn't go into IT and doesn't go into umpire or IT for umpires lol

end of the day, the careers of professional athletes are in the fates of these lowly paid umpires. There doesn't seem to be any channel of explanation on disputes and players are taught to just forget and forgive.
and that to me is a big problem, because some times it could be career damaging by those 1 or 2 errors.

error could lead to loss of income for the player. would umpire error lead to lost of umpire income?

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc and Mytoman
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
very impressive
Todays opponent for Miu Hirano is Bruna Alexandre, a paralympic athlete

a big girl with only one (left) arm
View attachment 28450
I just LOVE the way Hirano used 2 balls while warming up with Bruna without having Bruna picking up ball due to her disability. 10/10 for the thoughtfulness.

Jan 2018
The face Hirano made when she got toyed by Bruna Alexandre in counterloops made my day.

• Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
well, the powers to be are not making use of these cases to make it educational
like WTT making it an "income generation" video clip (Ma Long example). they get tons of traffic and still don't come out to give an answer.

so if it is a mistake, would it be correct to acknowledge the mistake when challenged even after the match, or is it blocked off/walled off. The umpire ruling is final and no one has the right to ask for any explanation.

I would imagine referee or someone is keeping an eye on all tables.
remember, this is WTT we are talking about, there isn't too many tables playing in the same time.
From what I was told from one of the players in the video, the umpire fell asleep too.
Why doesn't the umpire call the match referee and excuse himself, but it should be the job of the players?

Yes players can do it, but both players didn't want to cause a scene and they thought "things will become better" as the umpire wakes up.

I wonder do umpires get alcohol test every morning?

so is the law of table tennis based on sideline also, and not just base line?
to me, the path of the ball is going into the table from the outside. We all know curve shots of possible, especially since the Chuang example, any type of curve is possible :p

yes, so it would be professional if ITTF or WTT level talks about it post match or post tournament.
silent should be the last resort.

yes, I know umpires are paid peanuts. so interesting where all the money goes
doesn't go into IT and doesn't go into umpire or IT for umpires lol

end of the day, the careers of professional athletes are in the fates of these lowly paid umpires. There doesn't seem to be any channel of explanation on disputes and players are taught to just forget and forgive.
and that to me is a big problem, because some times it could be career damaging by those 1 or 2 errors.

error could lead to loss of income for the player. would umpire error lead to lost of umpire income?
Obstruction: Above or travelling towards the playing surface. "Not above - and not travelling towards" (e.g. crossing the table and going over the sideline) = no obstruction. Here the ump watches the feet of ML. That helps in the calculation on wether the ball has crossed the sideline.
2.5.8 A player obstructs the ball if he or she, or anything he or she wears or carries, touches it in play when it is above or travelling towards the playing surface, not having touched his or her court since last being struck by his or her opponent.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Obstruction: Above or travelling towards the playing surface. "Not above - and not travelling towards" (e.g. crossing the table and going over the sideline) = no obstruction. Here the ump watches the feet of ML. That helps in the calculation on wether the ball has crossed the sideline.
2.5.8 A player obstructs the ball if he or she, or anything he or she wears or carries, touches it in play when it is above or travelling towards the playing surface, not having touched his or her court since last being struck by his or her opponent.

okay, firstly, don't laugh :p

if red is the path of the ball, it is traveling towards the playing surface right?
so orange is there and blocks the ball that is traveling towards the playing surface.
So if there is no dispute on the path of the ball, is this considered obstruction?
1708353088572.png

Reactions: Mytoman