ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals Busan 2024

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
KOR vs POL
JWJ 0-2 -> 3-2 M. Kubik

JWJ playing like crap in match 1 of round 1 in first WTTC in South Korea is totally unexpected.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/oshima-vs-harimoto-4-3.20062/post-257563
Not really. You don't need a counter game plan for that. If you've followed the scene long enough, you'd notice that South Korean players are among the streakiest, yet have produced many if not the most powerful upsets in memory. Many of them share one common trait - high risk, high reward all-out step-around. Notable players from other countries are Gatien at WTTC 1993, Schlager at WTTC 2003 and Aruna at World Cup 2014 and Rio Olympics. Fang Bo at WTTC 2015 is another. The catch here is the high demand on form and stamina. That's why you see these players deviate a lot. But when that condition is met, this tactical style is the most disruptive. Coupled with the intense pressure, it's very hard to deal with and recover from.

Now the problem is you can never be certain when it'll be coming ahead of time. In the same manner, the player who chooses to play like this will also find it hard to get started. Ito is the latest example.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
It's frictionless antispin. Probably not something she practices against very often.
If Ayhika wins, she is the best player in the world and will be favorite to win the Olympics.
I'm so sick of these players coming out of nowhere with some random rubber setup that nobody has practiced against. It's just not fair. Everybody should have the same type of rubber in the same event. You aren't allowed to swim freestyle in a breastroke race. And you can't use rubber on one side of your pickleball racket. Everybody has to use the same equipment that follows the same rules of physics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
If Ayhika wins, she is the best player in the world and will be favorite to win the Olympics.
I'm so sick of these players coming out of nowhere with some random rubber setup that nobody has practiced against. It's just not fair. Everybody should have the same type of rubber in the same event. You aren't allowed to swim freestyle in a breastroke race. And you can't use rubber on one side of your pickleball racket. Everybody has to use the same equipment that follows the same rules of physics.
I'd be surprised if the CNT didn't know about or didn't practice specifically against their opponent's rubber type. I'm guessing that SYS and CNT just didn't take the Mukherjee threat seriously enough to devote much time for it. Almost all of Team India is using pips or something unusual on the backhand, so it's a bit odd to think that they've got some unfair advantage.

3-1 Mukherjee against SYS. The Mukherjees had impressive women's doubles results recently, but this an almost unbelievable win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It's not like she hasn't played against anti before, she just wasn't well prepared for the match. I put the failure on Ma Lin, he's just terrible, I don't know how he's still the coach for the women's team. No coach has ever had a worse record coming out of a time out than him, it's literally a meme on Chinese boards. Ma Lin calls a time out and everyone goes "uh oh".

SYS had no adjustments the whole game. She could've tried to push less, for example, adopt a push/loop cycle or even a loop everything long strategy, instead she pushed until she could get a FH in. She could've stopped driving everything to Ayhika's FH and change it up and drive more to the middle and BH. She could've flicked Ayhika's anti services, both FH and BH. She tried none of that. I don't think she's so lacking in experience as to make these simple adjustments, and even if she did Ma Lin should've directed her to change it up. I can only conclude that it's Ma Lin who directed her to play with the tactics she did.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I'd be surprised if the CNT didn't know about or didn't practice specifically against their opponent's rubber type. I'm guessing that SYS and CNT just didn't take the Mukherjee threat seriously enough to devote much time for it. Almost all of Team India is using pips or something unusual on the backhand, so it's a bit odd to think that they've got some unfair advantage.

3-1 Mukherjee against SYS. The Mukherjees had impressive women's doubles results recently, but this an almost unbelievable win.
See that's what's stupid. preparing for LP or antispin is a full time job. You would need months of preparation and training to really understand every detail of how the rubber responds. But they may face 20 different players. There's no way to prepare for every version of unusual rubber. Fundamentally the demand is just unfair.