We Trained Like Pros! | Singapore Smash

Dan

says TTD Forum Meet Up was a blast!

Dan

says TTD Forum Meet Up was a blast!
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Administrator
Aug 2010
7,138
5,286
17,597
Read 76 reviews
Hey guys, in this video, we tried training like the pros at the recent Singapore Smash! Me and @Tom headed to the training hall, where we replicated the exercises of the best players in the world to see how we get on. I tried Wang Chuqin's most common exercise and Tom tried Truls :)

 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2021
3,995
2,939
8,278
Read 1 reviews
Hey guys, in this video, we tried training like the pros at the recent Singapore Smash! Me and @Tom headed to the training hall, where we replicated the exercises of the best players in the world to see how we get on. I tried Wang Chuqin's most common exercise and Tom tried Truls :)

Favorite to watch… no contest… The two crackpots from Tabletennisdaily. They always put on a great show…

Cheers
L-zr
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Active Member
Oct 2020
992
477
1,672
at 1:31 Pause the Video. How come WCQ s bat is more open compared to Dans. I also loop closer like Dan. I think the ball would fly out if I looped like WCQ. How does he make it work so it lands on the table still is it the earlier timing and more forward stroke?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Oct 2014
20,856
27,602
73,626
Read 17 reviews
at 1:31 Pause the Video. How come WCQ s bat is more open compared to Dans. I also loop closer like Dan. I think the ball would fly out if I looped like WCQ. How does he make it work so it lands on the table still is it the earlier timing and more forward stroke?
Different rubber, different playing height, different contact point, different swing trajectory.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Active Member
Oct 2020
992
477
1,672
Different rubber, different playing height, different contact point, different swing trajectory.
I know I literally said how does it work for him. Can't be just the rubber. Overall it looks way more consistent than the Europe style that is more prone to overhitting/hitting the edge
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Aug 2022
224
338
580
at 1:31 Pause the Video. How come WCQ s bat is more open compared to Dans. I also loop closer like Dan. I think the ball would fly out if I looped like WCQ. How does he make it work so it lands on the table still is it the earlier timing and more forward stroke?
Comparing WR#1 to high level hobby player - adding to nextlevel's variables, pro quality racket speed

you can see Dan hitting Ma Longs actual racket here

 
  • Like
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Oct 2014
20,856
27,602
73,626
Read 17 reviews
I know I literally said how does it work for him. Can't be just the rubber. Overall it looks way more consistent than the Europe style that is more prone to overhitting/hitting the edge
When the rubber is slower and the ball comes off with spin, you don't need to close the racket perfectly on every shot. But you do need to do a bit more to get the ball moving. In any case, you can try and learn to loop that way, it just takes practice.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Active Member
Oct 2020
992
477
1,672
When the rubber is slower and the ball comes off with spin, you don't need to close the racket perfectly on every shot. But you do need to do a bit more to get the ball moving. In any case, you can try and learn to loop that way, it just takes practice.
Ma longs warm up strokes are slow aswell and the ball still has high spin. If I did that stroke the ball would be more like a drive with very little spin on it.

Maybe I should try a slow rubber aswell. I like looping with open racket more than having it closed and needing to go over the ball at the same time.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Oct 2014
20,856
27,602
73,626
Read 17 reviews
Ma longs warm up strokes are slow aswell and the ball still has high spin. If I did that stroke the ball would be more like a drive with very little spin on it.

Maybe I should try a slow rubber aswell. I like looping with open racket more than having it closed and needing to go over the ball at the same time.

You are probably not understanding what they are doing, their strokes are not slow at all, maybe the camera is deceiving you. There is subtle use of the wrist to get acceleration and since Hurricane is slightly sticky, they hold the ball longer and release it slower than their swing speed would indicate.

Most of it is in the stickiness and sponge hardness but you can practice looping with more open racket angles, the key is to find the right contact point on the ball and to follow through adequately to generate spin. It is a very physical motion though and the feeling is not for everyone and the ball is slower for sure relative to the input energy but their athleticism makes it work.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Sep 2022
2,138
2,177
8,775
Hey guys, in this video, we tried training like the pros at the recent Singapore Smash! Me and @Tom headed to the training hall, where we replicated the exercises of the best players in the world to see how we get on. I tried Wang Chuqin's most common exercise and Tom tried Truls :)

Wow, these two guys have come a long way!! 😂
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250226-123448~3.png
    Screenshot_20250226-123448~3.png
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Like
Reactions: Zezima
Top