What is the highest level I can achieve in my career?

says Stay disciplined (y):cool:
I started table tennis at the late age of 12 and played for 9 months but coaches said that i am very talented and that i have potential. I train regularly 25 hours a week doing drills and excersises with training partners and group training with national players in my age category. My countries's table tennis u15 team is top 8 in the world, so i have a very good enviroment of training at my association. I am trying to go pro as a table tennis player, do you guys think that i have a chance of making money as a table tennis player in the future, and what does it take to achieve that level of table tennis?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Aug 2025
252
436
852
There is always a chance, it's just very very small.
Being in New Zealand doesn't help either, literally no one from there has ever made it pro, and the ones who made it from Australia are very few and in between and all went to train in Asia / Europe.
I think if your objective is solely "making money" as a table tennis player, you are probably starting with the wrong foot, but I can tell you that if it becomes an incredible passion, you may find ways to support yourself with it, it won't be easy.
Good luck!
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Oct 2025
55
59
174
I started table tennis at the late age of 12 and played for 9 months but coaches said that i am very talented and that i have potential. I train regularly 25 hours a week doing drills and excersises with training partners and group training with national players in my age category. My countries's table tennis u15 team is top 8 in the world, so i have a very good enviroment of training at my association. I am trying to go pro as a table tennis player, do you guys think that i have a chance of making money as a table tennis player in the future, and what does it take to achieve that level of table tennis?
I'm not sure how things are in New Zealand, but here in Vietnam, if you want to make money playing table tennis, you have to be among the absolute top players in the country (National Master level). From what I've seen, those guys usually make their living through coaching and selling equipment, since the actual salary from playing isn't very high.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Mar 2016
87
120
321
Read 4 reviews
I started table tennis at the late age of 12 and played for 9 months but coaches said that i am very talented and that i have potential. I train regularly 25 hours a week doing drills and excersises with training partners and group training with national players in my age category. My countries's table tennis u15 team is top 8 in the world, so i have a very good enviroment of training at my association. I am trying to go pro as a table tennis player, do you guys think that i have a chance of making money as a table tennis player in the future, and what does it take to achieve that level of table

You have a chance of making some money if you keep training like that. But it probably won’t be enough to make a real living. Only a few players in the world can do that. And they started when they were 6 years old and they were already in the top 3% of competitive players in their country when they were 12 years old. It’s simply impossible to catch up to their level. Even if you’re the most naturally gifted player in the world, it would not be possible unless you are some kind of freak of nature with superhuman physical traits.

I would advise you to have fun and try to become the best player you can be. It will lead to a happier life and more fun in the game than setting unachievable goals for yourself.
 
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2018
13,752
13,291
30,428
I started table tennis at the late age of 12 and played for 9 months but coaches said that i am very talented and that i have potential. I train regularly 25 hours a week doing drills and excersises with training partners and group training with national players in my age category. My countries's table tennis u15 team is top 8 in the world, so i have a very good enviroment of training at my association. I am trying to go pro as a table tennis player, do you guys think that i have a chance of making money as a table tennis player in the future, and what does it take to achieve that level of table tennis?
Don't give up. Work hard, make the team, then consider it a win (and become a meme) when you get these scores against the top world class players.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...pionships-finals-busan-2024.32987/post-443866
Asian Cup 2022
N991800.jpg
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
May 2017
306
459
1,634
It is hard to say how good you can be. Can you break 2500 or 2600? Sure. I know people who started at age 12 and did that. They also didn't train 8 hours a day, they played maybe 2-4 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. Can you become top 10 in the world? Well the current batch of people who are in the top 10 started much earlier, a lot started at age 2. They also practice/train around 40+/-5 hours a week. Being in New Zealand isn't good unfortunately. It isn't exactly a hot spot for table tennis. Then again, making the national team will be way easier than say France or China.

But don't let people tell you what you can or cannot do. Right now just play as much as humanly possible. Get used to losing and keeping your calm and see what happens. One guy in the USA I know seemed hopeless around the age of 18 then went on to make the national team. He did start playing earlier than you though. The important thing is don't give up and see what happens.
 
says Stay disciplined (y):cool:
  • Like
Reactions: zeio
Top