What Are Hybrid Table Tennis Rubbers and Why Are They So Popular Nowadays?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
I think playing level matters a lot. I'm a lower level player and I prefer inner carbon because I can play wide angles and drop the ball short easier. I also swing with a lot of power and don't find it too hard to "activate". I can make dangerous winning shots from 5m+ away.

Outer is easier to make sufficient rallying shots with and to counterloop close to table, but those aren't super relevant for me because my power is sufficient for a bit above my level and counterlooping close to table just isn't a thing that's so common and players my level tend to block or drive them.

The only true advantage from something like Viscaria vs something like B2 for me is that the backhand punch and loop close to table is just more powerful, even when I use it. However it's easier to go long with it, so it's not a free lunch. To counteract it, I use quite fast rubbers on backhand.

At a bit higher level speed becomes a premium so I think you'd be willing to give up some of the advantages of inner for the advantages of outer, depending on your strategy.
Yep very much agree with with comment, it's basically always a tradeoff as we always say in this forum, no gear is perfect, it's just a choice, but I like your choice @Archosaurus (y)
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
In fact, thanks to long-term anaerobic training, my strength is also above that of table tennis players at the same level. However, as I face tougher opponents, I find it doesn’t help me much—raw power alone isn’t hard for them to deal with. Instead, they use my power to cleverly control the rally, and I end up running back and forth and side to side from away the table, which drains more of my energy. I’m gradually realizing that what I need is speed, time, and less energy expenditure. This is also one of the reasons I switched away from an all-wood blade.

It’s not that one type of equipment is bad; they each have their pros and cons. You’re right—it depends on our strategy.
Yep, very much agree with this @ZSQ , it's also happening to me lately, I play a guy from china, very high rating in NL and he blocks everything with his penhold, so I run left and right like an idiot and get tired. Against this kind of player placement matters much more than just raw speed, so control is better. Against other players it may be different of course
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2024
2,542
3,425
8,148
Read 7 reviews
@Tyce you mean helix hybrid or DNA hybrid? For me the one who has what you describe is helix hybrid :D
Definitely DNA hybrid, it's almost like the rubber is behaving like an inner carbon blade :LOL: slow, controlled touch and then bam!
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
Definitely DNA hybrid, it's almost like the rubber is behaving like an inner carbon blade :LOL: slow, controlled touch and then bam!
Ah yeah agreed, dna hybrid is like a 2/3 gear car, also happens on the DNA Hybrid H im testing now, slow, slowish, rocket haha with the XH is even more pronounced, not my kind of taste, i prefer a bit smoother transitions haha
 

ZSQ

says I’m a table tennis enthusiast from China, and I hope to...

ZSQ

says I’m a table tennis enthusiast from China, and I hope to...
Member
Sep 2026
37
55
111
Nice to be in the same sector, China AI is exploding so I'm sure is also crazy there. And I'm sure you play good, but always good to be humble, we're all just amateurs :D

Interesting what you mention about inner and outer blades in China, I did not know about that, every day we all learn something new! Thanks for the insight. And about what I think about it, I'm a bit in the middle because what you say has pros and cons, and funny enough, I use an inner blade but with outer traits, the B2X often behaves like an outer, same like the SYS blade that i liked, so I see the point, and I also see what it can cause (a lot of speed fast) so you know, I guess both philosophies have something for it, probably a lot of people in China stay with all wood for a longer time, then all good! And Viscaria is a fantastic blade, I have it on my shelf, still a beast! I attach you a photo of mine, I like the pattern somehow View attachment 43362

hahaha good philosophy on rubbers @ZSQ xD at least you cannot blade the rubbers!!!! Great. T19 is not bad at all, but on Viscaria a lot of power, if you can handle it, all good, great combi :)

Yes all good, happy to help, let me know how your equipment search goes in the future, keep me updated!!

Best of lucks and talk soon :D
Between inner and outer carbon blades, there really is a quiet shift happening. We’ve also noticed that more and more inner carbon blades are becoming increasingly similar to outer blades in terms of feel and speed. Some outer blades are doing the same—getting softer and feeling more and more like inner ones. I don’t know whether this is manufacturers trying to cater to the market and improve the versatility of their equipment to become more competitive, or whether there’s some other reason. But it definitely gives us more fresh experiences.

You’re right—a lot of people in China stay with all-wood for a longer time to lay a solid foundation. Many veteran players also just love the feel of all-wood. So all good!

A very cool Viscaria!(y) Judging from the edges and the handle, you don’t just collect it—it must have been through a lot of tough battles with you. I think that’s great for a blade.

As for my rubbers, I’ll probably replace my forehand as soon as possible—it really doesn’t suit me. As for the Mantra Pro on my backhand, I’ve recently gained some new insights into how to use it better, so I’ll probably keep using it until it truly wears out.

I’ll update you as soon as I’ve changed equipment and played with it for a while. Let’s keep in touch.

Best regards 😁
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
Between inner and outer carbon blades, there really is a quiet shift happening. We’ve also noticed that more and more inner carbon blades are becoming increasingly similar to outer blades in terms of feel and speed. Some outer blades are doing the same—getting softer and feeling more and more like inner ones. I don’t know whether this is manufacturers trying to cater to the market and improve the versatility of their equipment to become more competitive, or whether there’s some other reason. But it definitely gives us more fresh experiences.
Yes I have also noticed this in DHS for example, the both poles converging, interesting to see where it will go!
You’re right—a lot of people in China stay with all-wood for a longer time to lay a solid foundation. Many veteran players also just love the feel of all-wood. So all good!
Makes sense! Good idea :)
A very cool Viscaria!(y) Judging from the edges and the handle, you don’t just collect it—it must have been through a lot of tough battles with you. I think that’s great for a blade.
For sure! Its one for the museum, so many nice stories together!

As for my rubbers, I’ll probably replace my forehand as soon as possible—it really doesn’t suit me. As for the Mantra Pro on my backhand, I’ve recently gained some new insights into how to use it better, so I’ll probably keep using it until it truly wears out.

I’ll update you as soon as I’ve changed equipment and played with it for a while. Let’s keep in touch.

Best regards 😁
Makes sense take good care of yourself and talk soon! :D
 

ber

This user has no status.

ber

This user has no status.
Member
Feb 2026
171
37
264
Answered this above @ber but plenty yes, I like Joola Dynamic, Helix Hybrid, BlueGrip C2 (need to test J1/J2 before year ends) and also LAC boosted I liked too. From the above list, I'd choose the dynamic or the helix hybrids as my favs until now, but more coming soon as i keep testing stuff!
Durability wise are they on par?
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
Durability wise are they on par?
I have a small gut feeling that the dynamic will last a bit longer than the helix hybrid (and both more than C2), as the built in catapult of the helix usually goes away in time in other rubbers. But for now, im just finishing the helix hybrid review and dna hybrid, and after the test period they are both still fine, the helix shows some usage on topsheet but nothing major, zero play changes :)

And the pro of the helix is that it comes in different degrees so thats nice. But dynamic comes in max and 2.0, and helix doesnt, so maybe wait a bit for the helix review (coming next week i hope) and then compare! tl,dr is that Dynamic is a bit more muted, more towards 09c and helix is a bit more alive, more towards tensors, but still both pure hybrids imo
 
  • Like
Reactions: ber

ber

This user has no status.

ber

This user has no status.
Member
Feb 2026
171
37
264
I have a small gut feeling that the dynamic will last a bit longer than the helix hybrid (and both more than C2), as the built in catapult of the helix usually goes away in time in other rubbers. But for now, im just finishing the helix hybrid review and dna hybrid, and after the test period they are both still fine, the helix shows some usage on topsheet but nothing major, zero play changes :)

And the pro of the helix is that it comes in different degrees so thats nice. But dynamic comes in max and 2.0, and helix doesnt, so maybe wait a bit for the helix review (coming next week i hope) and then compare! tl,dr is that Dynamic is a bit more muted, more towards 09c and helix is a bit more alive, more towards tensors, but still both pure hybrids imo
Ahh, alright thanks
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
I now have charged, helix hybrid 55 and D09C to try and bought a second freitas just to have a test blade and it is all your fault @victormanriquey , just wanted you to know it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
hahahaha i didnt swipe the card you know, accept you are an EJ like me and join the dark side hahahaha

now in all seriousness, let me know how the 55 is! Im testing 52.5 and i think i will also test 50 for the BH, for the forehand im liking helix a bit less, personal preference though!
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Aug 2025
252
436
850
hahahaha i didnt swipe the card you know, accept you are an EJ like me and join the dark side hahahaha

now in all seriousness, let me know how the 55 is! Im testing 52.5 and i think i will also test 50 for the BH, for the forehand im liking helix a bit less, personal preference though!
Helix hybrid I won't test any time soon (I got it for a super deal with the helix platinums I get for my backhand), I'm starting with charged and then possibly D09C, I'm looking for a hybrid to keep on my second blade and to play in days in which I encounter good modern defenders or when my 8 months old just makes me too tired and my legs are not working as they should :ROFLMAO:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
Helix hybrid I won't test any time soon (I got it for a super deal with the helix platinums I get for my backhand), I'm starting with charged and then possibly D09C, I'm looking for a hybrid to keep on my second blade and to play in days in which I encounter good modern defenders or when my 8 months old just makes me too tired and my legs are not working as they should :ROFLMAO:
Those days seem to be more often my days lately hahaha a 8m old is intense, more intense than 3h multiball in china 😂
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
Dude, this thread is gold for all EJ

The only hybrid rubbers I've played with are D09c and Rakza Z. For my game, I prefer Z for the added control and a bit more stickiness.
Has anyone boosted the Z before?
Haha im glad its helpful @Lando :)

I like RZ more as well, same thoughts as you! And no, I havent boosted it, maybe i should when its getting finished 🤔 I didnt enjoy max thickness as much as 2.0 though, so maybe if i boost it getsa bit like max, food for thought in the coming weeks haha
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lando
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2024
2,542
3,425
8,148
Read 7 reviews
You've been reviewing a fair amount of hybrids now, what would you say is a hybrid best suited for low intermediate levels? I'm thinking high control levels on slower speeds, easy to open up slowly with spin, and engaging well on medium speeds without immediately kicking off out of the table.
(I have a few options in mind, curious what you think)
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
671
607
2,697
You've been reviewing a fair amount of hybrids now, what would you say is a hybrid best suited for low intermediate levels? I'm thinking high control levels on slower speeds, easy to open up slowly with spin, and engaging well on medium speeds without immediately kicking off out of the table.
(I have a few options in mind, curious what you think)
That is a tough question my friend thijs, but let me see if I can cook a decent answer haha

What you mention can have ofc the 3 flavours, and then within those (please also consider that I have not tried all hybrids out there), I'd choose the following:

- For tensor hybrids, probably MK hybrid is the most linear and safe of them all, durability seems to be average from what I'm seeing (speed decreases after 1 month already, which may be good for this case haha), but it fits well what you say, @Doppelschlag can talk about the MK FX, maybe even better for this case. You can also do NUZN 45 but it has a bit more kick in my experience, but better durability and more spin, so it's a tradeoff. I'd stay away from BlueGrip S2, too 2-geared in my experience, and maybe BlueGrip S1 or J3 (need to test the latter).
- For pure hybrids, I'd stick to either Glayzer 09c or Rakza Z, none of them in max to have the most control. My preference is Rakza Z, but G09c is also very good for what you are describing, both fit really, G09c is more butterfly feeling if you know what i mean, rakza Z is more rakza feeling haha hard to explain this but if you tried both brands you more or less know, butterfly has that sponge feel, rakza z feels often soft and comfortable, like a renault car (which i drive hahaha)😂
- For Chinese hybrids, I really like the Hurricane 8-80, but I was very surprised by Asia Jupiter 3, even though it's not a chinese hybrid per se. And you cannot go wrong with Hurricane 3 Neo 37 if you boost it once, it fits what you say perfectly except the speed part, you need to add the speed.

Depends on your blade a lot and technique and taste, but these would be my options today, when I have tested a couple more (Donic Bluegrip J, Sanwei Target/Hyper, Andro Chintac etc) I can tell you the whole picture!

But, what did you have in mind @Tyce ? :D Now im curious!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tyce
says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,789
1,724
5,708
Read 2 reviews
Hybrid MK or Bluegrip S1 was recommended to me by an expert player who has played me.

I've tried Hybrid MK and it was really comfortable to play with, I felt it was slightly slow so it may have been a little worn out. Didn't try for really long, though.

I had Jupiter 3 Asia 38A on backhand for a while and I liked it a lot, very easy to play with. Didn't boost it myself additionally. I still have that sheet and I plan to wear it out in training instead of giving it away, which says a lot.

I've got a H8-80 sheet waiting for later and I put on H3 37A earlier but I need to still give it more time. Boosted with one layer of National White and I plan to not reboost it at all just to keep it durable and a bit less bouncy.

Not sure I'd try anything much more active than those at my level. I played with G-1 on BH for a while and I found it usable but slightly too nonlinear to be ideal. It has this weird character where low speed is relatively fast, mid-speed is slow and then high speed is suddenly a lot faster than I expect. I will definitely keep that sheet around and put it back on some other time whenever I feel like I need that speed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
Top