says
what
[IMG]
says
what
[IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Well-Known Member
The way I've heard it explained online by the coaches is that when the opponent serves short, heavy topspin, they expect a flick because at a high level that's the high % shot, but that flick can be counterattacked easily. If you can push the topspin serve short and low then the server can't get his 3rd ball, but doing so is difficult, and generally only very advanced players can push it low, and only the elite of the elite can push it low and short.Even if someone is good at pushing topspin, it's the kind of thing I associate with players who have spent 1000 hours learning to put the square peg into a round hole, so to speak.
If it works for them, that's nice. If I wanted to push topspin I'd just use long pips.
I don't know if that's true or not from personal experience, but I do know I have never pushed a topspin serve short and low; it's only really either of the two, and even then the % is really terrible. I have never seen anyone do that either, nor have I heard of anyone in the clubs around here doing that. Not with inverted at least. So I'm dubious when someone says it's a basic skill or whatever.