This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This makes no sense. Shrink WTTC to 128 players, increase World Cup to 48. No point in having both now. The Top 16 aspect of the World Cup with continental qualifications was good.
Continental points will probably put all the same players into the World Cup, probably a couple more with the size increase. I do prefer the old format though. Round robin is not a thing for WTT, seems they just want knockouts.

Reactions: kindof99
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Totally disagree. Sports is a celebration of life. More the number of players & types of players,the better & bigger the party. I miss the good old days when 150 countries showed up for the WTTC.
I don't give a diddley duda as to who wins what. It is not like they are going to split their winnings with me. I just want to watch some great matches & more drama (queens).

Increase World Teams Championships to 64 teams
Increase World individual Championships to like 256 players
Double the World Cup to 96 players :)

More players traveling. More income & jobs for travel related & other related businesses. Sports get more exposure.

Caribbean (& central American) countries have near zero representations.
Edit : Australia hogs Oceania. No players from ............New Zealand.
As someone who played World Team Champs in 2016 with 96 mens and 96 women's teams, I can tell you the organizational strain is too much for a lot of hosts.

The second 'hall' in Malaysia was literally white marque tents on elevated wooden floors over a stadium parking lot.

Don't get me wrong, I am against WTTC being condensed. I just don't see the point of World Cup expanding. We already have a ton of different WTT events which are the same players, same formats, same matches.

Having a smaller field of players in a World Cup allowed them to do some really cool things, like host the event at Disneyworld etc.

All of the continents have Cup events and they are top 16, the players from those cups then qualified to World Cup which was also a top 16 format. It's logical.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
As someone who played World Team Champs in 2016 with 96 mens and 96 women's teams, I can tell you the organizational strain is too much for a lot of hosts.

The second 'hall' in Malaysia was literally white marque tents on elevated wooden floors over a stadium parking lot.

Don't get me wrong, I am against WTTC being condensed. I just don't see the point of World Cup expanding. We already have a ton of different WTT events which are the same players, same formats, same matches.

Having a smaller field of players in a World Cup allowed them to do some really cool things, like host the event at Disneyworld etc.

All of the continents have Cup events and they are top 16, the players from those cups then qualified to World Cup which was also a top 16 format. It's logical.
Team events are different. I think 16 players for an event is too few. 48 feel about right.

Reactions: Spinsanity
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Team events are different. I think 16 players for an event is too few. 48 feel about right.
Previous World Cups with 16 have been great. It's all part of a bigger system. Rather than having qualification matches before the main draw you have continental cups - Europe Cup, Africa Cup, Asia Cup, Oceania Cup and Pan Am Cup. Those events are also top 16 format style.

Winning the continental cup and qualifying for the world cup is meant to be a big deal. Also for the players that made it to the world cup they were well rewarded for their achievement. Having a shed of exclusivity is something special that makes the continental events more meaningful. It's like having a leadup event to the world cup in your own continent.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
If you have 48 players then how is it any different from WTT Champions, or a Grand Smash Main draw, or watching a Star Contender. The Top 16 format was a point of difference for the World Cup. And a point of difference is important to keep people interested when all of the other events are becoming regular and quite similar in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Previous World Cups with 16 have been great. It's all part of a bigger system. Rather than having qualification matches before the main draw you have continental cups - Europe Cup, Africa Cup, Asia Cup, Oceania Cup and Pan Am Cup. Those events are also top 16 format style.

Winning the continental cup and qualifying for the world cup is meant to be a big deal. Also for the players that made it to the world cup they were well rewarded for their achievement. Having a shed of exclusivity is something special that makes the continental events more meaningful. It's like having a leadup event to the world cup in your own continent.
Continental cups are still there. They just allow more players to play in the world cup now. And I think it is better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't think Matt understands. Maybe he has something against more Oceania players such as Black Caps qualifying :cry:
now this is just nonsense talk
I agree with Matt, since he has been to few as a player himself and I myself are closely knitted to many that take part

World Championships has always been the main title to chase and Olympics.
World Cup was for prize money.

Now comes WTT and there are 3 Smash, 4 Champion, 2 Finals this year so far, with many more to come.
Now there is ITTF mixed teams world cup.
Per gender, that is 12 "major events" for 2024 and we haven't even counted WTT Star Contender, OG, Continental events etc.

World Cup 16 had to be qualified for, similar to the WTT finals (or Pro Tour grand finals before that).
If the logic of 16 to 48 is better, then WTT finals to 48 too?
What difference is it all than to Smash, Champions etc? Matt asked a valid question.
With more players, then event size gets bigger, days get longer, players need to be there for longer/ cost more money etc.

ITTF went to shrink some events and then they want to expand some other.... Overall the event duration in 2024 seems already much longer (with champion schedule for even 7 days etc)

Conclusion is, SO MANY different event name and all the same players, in a very crowded calendar.
To top off the problem, a lot of this events are known very late... It should be annual events with dates set more than 6 or 12 months ahead of time.

With the only difference is a couple of more attendees from the weaker continents. Maybe 16 + 8 would be fine with same limitations, but 16 + 32 is like asking OG to double its participation too.
WC has always been like OG, smaller format, and 2 per MA, now China will send 5... So world cup just becoming another one of those WTT fixtures... it seems

Last edited:
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I don't think Matt understands. Maybe he has something against more Oceania players such as Black Caps qualifying :cry:
The world ranking system already lends itself to allowing more Oceania players to qualify for major events than before. I’m not biased to my home country i’m thinking about the sport in general and what I think is good for it.

Of course I understand it’s not a difficult concept to grasp that more players and bigger events might be better. Not agreeing and not understanding are not the same 🤓

Reactions: NextLevel
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
now this is just nonsense talk
I agree with Matt, since he has been to few as a player himself and I myself are closely knitted to many that take part

World Championships has always been the main title to chase and Olympics.
World Cup was for prize money.

Now comes WTT and there are 3 Smash, 4 Champion, 2 Finals this year so far, with many more to come.
Now there is ITTF mixed teams world cup.
Per gender, that is 12 "major events" for 2024 and we haven't even counted WTT Star Contender, OG, Continental events etc.

World Cup 16 had to be qualified for, similar to the WTT finals (or Pro Tour grand finals before that).
If the logic of 16 to 48 is better, then WTT finals to 48 too?
What difference is it all than to Smash, Champions etc? Matt asked a valid question.
With more players, then event size gets bigger, days get longer, players need to be there for longer/ cost more money etc.

ITTF went to shrink some events and then they want to expand some other.... Overall the event duration in 2024 seems already much longer (with champion schedule for even 7 days etc)

Conclusion is, SO MANY different event name and all the same players, in a very crowded calendar.
To top off the problem, a lot of this events are known very late... It should be annual events with dates set more than 6 or 12 months ahead of time.

With the only difference is a couple of more attendees from the weaker continents. Maybe 16 + 8 would be fine with same limitations, but 16 + 32 is like asking OG to double its participation too.
WC has always been like OG, smaller format, and 2 per MA, now China will send 5... So world cup just becoming another one of those WTT fixtures... it seems
Tony understands lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The world ranking system already lends itself to allowing more Oceania players to qualify for major events than before. I’m not biased to my home country i’m thinking about the sport in general and what I think is good for it.

Of course I understand it’s not a difficult concept to grasp that more players and bigger events might be better. Not agreeing and not understanding are not the same 🤓
win 1 tournament and into world top 100.
i think in Matt's playing days, what was NZ highest ranking, 200 to 250?

for the Aussies, William was WR50~100?, but now there is WR30~40 after 1 tournament
Indeed the current structure has helped a lot of lesser level continents

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
win 1 tournament and into world top 100.
i think in Matt's playing days, what was NZ highest ranking, 200 to 250?

for the Aussies, William was WR50~100?, but now there is WR30~40 after 1 tournament
Indeed the current structure has helped a lot of lesser level continents
And not just one WR30-40, but multiple given that 2 or 3 continental player qualify and sometimes they spread the titles amongst any players.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
There were 7 Australians in the top 100 a year ago. Henzell at his career best made top 100 and he was a truly outstanding player. So if there’s any systematic bias it’s towards Oceania already 😂

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I know you are from NZ & just joking about it.
However Austarlia hogging everything is not good for Oceania & sport in general
To be honest it’s on New Zealand to improve their situation. Between TTNZ and NZOC the sport has just been nosediving for the last 30 years and nothing has really stopped it.

The last time NZ men won Oceanias was 2004 😂

Australia invest more in players and also their players move abroad for experience, NZ players just don’t take the plunge and it shows.

Reactions: R Jeff
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
To be honest it’s on New Zealand to improve their situation. Between TTNZ and NZOC the sport has just been nosediving for the last 30 years and nothing has really stopped it.

The last time NZ men won Oceanias was 2004 😂

Australia invest more in players and also their players move abroad for experience, NZ players just don’t take the plunge and it shows.
from my understanding, the current lot of NZ national players self fund to travel.
Durban WTTC, the players self funded for example.
Doex TTNZ/NZOC cover any costs for Oceania, Commonwealth, or internationals?

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Who was(were) the player(s)?
Hrmmm

I think

Brad Chen
Aaron Li
Shane Laugesen

Aaron and Shane were around 220wr at the time I think. Which in that system was a decent level.