WTT Singapore Smash 2024 3/7-3/17

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
https://worldtabletennis.com/eventInfo?eventId=2904

Singapore Smash 2024 starts in a few days. With $1.5M in prize money, all of the top players will be there unless injured (Han Ying) or limited by national entry restrictions of 6 per country. In addition to the money, huge ranking points from this tournament are up for grabs in the race to Paris 2024.

Japanese women's doubles have an interesting setup. With Hirano/Miwa as a trial pair for Paris, Japan has split up Japan's strongest pair, Nagasaki/Kihara. My guess is so that Hirano/Miwa don't run into them in the early stages. Looks like Japan and S. Korea are collaborating ( SYB and Joo Cheonhui are active in T-League ) so Nagasaki is partnering with Kim Nayeong and Kihara is partnering with Joo Cheonhui.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Two really good matches so far.

Ma Jinbao seems more vocal to me than Harimoto. Good 3-2 win for him.

On table 3 Zhang Wanling of Singapore wins a 12-10 in the 5th match with a very tricky Jian Fang Lay of Australia.

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Qualifying picks (dark horse) - crazy draw - I know Dyjas is out, but he is who I would have picked so I am trying to stay blind:

1. Milos Redzminski (Uda)
2. Jakub Dyjas (Ionescu)
3. Kubik (Thakkar)
4. Gionis (Huang)
5. Ionescu (Feng)
6. Yoshimura (Bardet)
7. Monteiro (Olah)
8. Tanaka (Gacina)

Ladies:
1. Dragoman (Mukherjee)
2. Pesotska (Zhang)
3. Lee Ho Ching (Balazova)
4. Kallberg (Matelova)
5. Chien (Malobabic)
6. Haponova (Pota)
7. Lutz (Vivarelli)
8. Zaharia (Lupulesku)

Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Qualifying picks (dark horse) - crazy draw - I know Dyjas is out, but he is who I would have picked so I am trying to stay blind:

1. Milos Redzminski (Uda)
2. Jakub Dyjas (Ionescu)
3. Kubik (Thakkar)
4. Gionis (Huang)
5. Ionescu (Feng)
6. Yoshimura (Bardet)
7. Monteiro (Olah)
8. Tanaka (Gacina)

Ladies:
1. Dragoman (Mukherjee)
2. Pesotska (Zhang)
3. Lee Ho Ching (Balazova)
4. Kallberg (Matelova)
5. Chien (Malobabic)
6. Haponova (Pota)
7. Lutz (Vivarelli)
8. Zaharia (Lupulesku)
Balazova out as well. She was beaten by Yuan Wan who I think will get into the Main Draw. I remember Miyu Nagasaki winning a very close one over Yuan Wan.

This might be Uda's last shot at relevance on the JNT. I think he makes it into the Main Draw.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
MS/WS main draw out.

Hayata and Hirano, and Ito: WTT hates JPN...

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-be-revamped-for-paris-2024.24977/post-446298
CIC, Diaz, Szocs, YXX et. al. all face the same pressure as SYB in saving their positions, and they will have to face Hayata, Ito, Harimoto and perhaps even Kihara. It will come down to the draw. HY won't be back at least until World Cup 2024, so she is out of the equation and will consider herself lucky to be able to make it in time for Paris 2024.

Given the poor luck of Tasei and Oh Kwanghun at WTTC 2024, Watanabe could be the biggest obstacle to Hirano. The big question now is whether JNT will make use of team order when the poor draw of WTT CS Frankfurt 2023 happens again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Looks like LHC beat Wan Yuan 3-1 who I thought would advance. After getting destroyed the 1st game, the remaining three were deuce games with her winning the 3rd game.