World Cup 2024

This user has no status.
now this is just nonsense talk
I agree with Matt, since he has been to few as a player himself and I myself are closely knitted to many that take part

World Championships has always been the main title to chase and Olympics.
World Cup was for prize money.

Now comes WTT and there are 3 Smash, 4 Champion, 2 Finals this year so far, with many more to come.
Now there is ITTF mixed teams world cup.
Per gender, that is 12 "major events" for 2024 and we haven't even counted WTT Star Contender, OG, Continental events etc.

World Cup 16 had to be qualified for, similar to the WTT finals (or Pro Tour grand finals before that).
If the logic of 16 to 48 is better, then WTT finals to 48 too?
What difference is it all than to Smash, Champions etc? Matt asked a valid question.
With more players, then event size gets bigger, days get longer, players need to be there for longer/ cost more money etc.

ITTF went to shrink some events and then they want to expand some other.... Overall the event duration in 2024 seems already much longer (with champion schedule for even 7 days etc)

Conclusion is, SO MANY different event name and all the same players, in a very crowded calendar.
To top off the problem, a lot of this events are known very late... It should be annual events with dates set more than 6 or 12 months ahead of time.

With the only difference is a couple of more attendees from the weaker continents. Maybe 16 + 8 would be fine with same limitations, but 16 + 32 is like asking OG to double its participation too.
WC has always been like OG, smaller format, and 2 per MA, now China will send 5... So world cup just becoming another one of those WTT fixtures... it seems
Not that a huge difference compared to say the ATP tennis tour.
- 4 Majors
- 9 ATP 1000
- 1 ATP tour finals

But I guess the tennis players have also complained over the overcrowded schedule and injury risk ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
- 4 Majors
- 9 ATP 1000
- 1 ATP tour finals

But I guess the tennis players have also complained over the overcrowded schedule and injury risk ...
should I add in the star contenders, continental games, olympic games?
we getting close to 20 on table tennis, not to mention that olympic is a month, so the other 19 over 11 months?
For TT people following WTT, there are already few "back to back to back" tournaments in the past 6 to 12 months and that has never happened before.

So if any, WTT is trying to beat Tennis in its overcrowding, and then the event prize is 100 ~ 1000 folds lesser.
not to mention, more than half of these events are forced attendance.
Tennis players don't need to earn their income playing for clubs, unlike table tennis, clubs is the main income for many.
So while these TT professional are doing 8 to 14 events a year, they still have club table tennis to take part in, above other domestic or continental club/national duties.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
- 4 Majors
- 9 ATP 1000
- 1 ATP tour finals

People keep drawing analogies to other sports without understanding the similarities and differences between table tennis and other sports. The biggest difference is the table tennis tour is not the primary source of most player's sport incomes. Of course, everyone has sports contracts and endorsements, but in table tennis, for sports related income, the clubs guarantee more than the tour does and it is not even close. And the worst part about it is that things like feeders don't pay anything or have any value to the players other than for world ranking purposes, and the big ones like Champions only pay substantial amounts to those who advance significantly - this was one of the big goals of the WTT, to bring larger income to tour events. But if you are a consistently ranked top 100 rated pro player on the ATP tour, you do make enough from the tour to not have other commitments beyond playing. Even a top 10 ITTF player is still rely much more on national, club and sponsor funding because the big TV deals do not exist. Not saying those in the top 20 do badly, but that very little of their money is coming from World Table Tennis or the ITTF.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Not sure whether there will be live stream at the ittf youtube channel
There will, it seems. It shows as already scheduled where I live (Poland). But I've been searching for this information for a couple of days now. The communication around these events is really terrible…

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu (173).png
    Zrzut ekranu (173).png
    383.1 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
The venue and overall presentation of this has been mostly pretty good visually with the camera work with the top and straight-on view rather than the awful side-to-side 'Pong' view.

But the audio levels are just awful with commentary sounding like it's coming from an old timey radio.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Think we've always known this but that match against NZ's Lam confirms that Hirano is the most cold-blooded of the women JNT members.
Ito has done equally cold blooded things. So for me, no confirmation, though I knew Hirano was going to do that before the match started.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Ito has done equally cold blooded things. So for me, no confirmation, though I knew Hirano was going to do that before the match started.

I was mostly kidding. Hirano has an excuse with this format because even individual points matter as a tie-breaker.

But 22 points in a row against an overmatched opponent with a thumb injury was very hard to watch lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was mostly kidding. Hirano has an excuse with this format because even individual points matter as a tie-breaker.

But 22 points in a row against an overmatched opponent with a thumb injury was very hard to watch lol
She got the thumb injury during the match. But regardless, you can't blame Hirano for playing to her level when they allow players who are clearly nowhere close to their world rankings to get world rankings based on continental results. The result was obviously coming once I saw the draw.

Reactions: lodro and KiwiPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
The venue and overall presentation of this has been mostly pretty good visually with the camera work with the top and straight-on view rather than the awful side-to-side 'Pong' view.

But the audio levels are just awful with commentary sounding like it's coming from an old timey radio.
Quality presentation, but no ball kids for a World Cup event?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
CHINESE DIRTY TRICKS.

Dhs tables being in use for these present competitions are known to enter into the group 1 according ITTF Technical Manual 1. There are overall three groups of playing tables displayed by M1, to classify all the tables present on general market, depending on amount of surface traction. Dhs tables proved the least grippy topboard on market. Shitty product far below any criticizm. Sorry. Surface traction being measured at 0.16 much similar to a polished marble material. Near unplayable piece of shit, sorry.

Last edited: