Search results

  1. 20th Asian Games Aichi-Nagoya 2026, 9/19-10/4

    Well ‘selfish’ is a common catch all slur in Japan and the mass media are hardly who I’d trust to make solid character judgements. Whatever though. She’s a pro player and I’m not. Good on her for a more than ten year career. Approach might change from teens to twenties and thirties. Even legends...
  2. 20th Asian Games Aichi-Nagoya 2026, 9/19-10/4

    You think she's really cynical eh. I haven't been watching TT long enough to make a judgement but I did catch her in the world team event in London and I thought she was just a bad pick in the No.1 or 2 spot there. The defender would've had a higher likelihood to exploit the tense atmosphere...
  3. 20th Asian Games Aichi-Nagoya 2026, 9/19-10/4

    Wow. Beautiful BHs to close out
  4. 20th Asian Games Aichi-Nagoya 2026, 9/19-10/4

    A blocker with a leather grip on his bat and moobs. Gives us all hope. Instant fan here.
  5. 20th Asian Games Aichi-Nagoya 2026, 9/19-10/4

    And here they are in the doubles semi-final. Harimoto must be terrified that Hayata will just crack open a beer and light up a cigarette during time outs. Will she even bother to move out of the way during points? It’s gotta be doubtful.
  6. What is talent in table tennis?

    Language has it's own nuances. Total native ability relies on pre 9 months old exposure. Then there are clear steps at 3 and 7. Music is also a nuanced conversation as classical and jazz have totally different requirements and skill/brain development requirements. Classical music is essentially...
  7. What is talent in table tennis?

    Alright fella. You clearly don't like learning. It is uncomfortable for you. Never mind.
  8. What is talent in table tennis?

    What Makes a Champion? Early Multidisciplinary Practice, Not Early Specialization, Predicts World-Class Performance Arne Güllich 1, Brooke N Macnamara 2, David Z Hambrick 3 Affiliations Expand PMID: 34260336 DOI: 10.1177/1745691620974772 Abstract What explains the acquisition of exceptional...
  9. What is talent in table tennis?

    This is what the trend of specialization tends to look like. The early birds do well young but then get overtaken by the later specializers. It doesn't mean that starting young is bad, just that focusing intently on one sport from young is a poor strategy.
  10. What is talent in table tennis?

    No, it doesn’t; and yes it is largely instinctive to want to believe that putting kids onto a path to stardom is effective when it’s clearly not the case based on a large body of evidence. It appeals to the element in us that wishes to simplify and look for an obvious and controllable method...
  11. What is talent in table tennis?

    Again, this is off point. Who said they were not interested? Or that they suddenly start at that age? That’s adding false assumptions to the topic. People who do well are usually joyfully experimenting in a variety of sports or at least don't limit themselves strictly to their main sport or...
  12. What is talent in table tennis?

    Yes. Sport exposure at a young age is not what I’m talking about, the issue is specialization and if you look into each case closely you’ll find the vast majority were doing many other things. That players start young doesn't contradict what I wrote or poke any holes in the body of research. The...
  13. Need Pips advice for reversible penhold shenanigans

    That was my active mindset.
  14. What is talent in table tennis?

    Starting young is also a myth. In terms of serious dedication those who start specializing before 13 on the whole do worse than those who choose a sport at 13/14. It is very well researched and evidenced at this point (See Nielsson especially) but the narrative of ‘catch ‘em young’ is still so...
  15. What is talent in table tennis?

    Very much over rated in every sport. It is of course a reality but if a player has an awareness of it and dwells on it to any extent it’s a pretty sure thing they lack ‘growth mindset’ and as such, especially in young players, would be stronger candidates for burnout and attention related...
  16. Need Pips advice for reversible penhold shenanigans

    Sweeps on the BH and drive blocks on the FH. I guess that covers 80% of the points I win. I hated this style so much that I learned it.😂
  17. Need Pips advice for reversible penhold shenanigans

    Yeh. I def wanna try that rubber too
  18. 20th Asian Games Aichi-Nagoya 2026, 9/19-10/4

    Eeek. Totally unshockingg though. When else would you do so??
  19. What song are u listening to now?

Top