Search results

  1. Blade sealing/varnishing question

    There is nothing wrong with Acrylic lacquers, they are safer for the environment, dry clear, fast and hard, and can be applied very thinly. You just need to know what you are dealing with. Because they are water based, this will cause the wood fibers to raise. If the fibers weren't raised during...
  2. SDC Handmade Blades

    We were aiming for a ALL+, linear and with a solid feeling, so I used a light core. Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
  3. SDC Handmade Blades

    Custom order 5 ply blade. The handle design (not originally mine) is a nice way of achieving a lower weight distribution by having a heavier wood on the bottom. - Koto / Spruce / Ayous / Spruce / Koto - 85.6g - 5.75mm - 1335Hz - Balance: 1.9cm (Very Low)
  4. SDC Handmade Blades

    Nothing too fancy, just a classic 5 ply looping blade with a Zebrano handle. - Limba / Mahogany / Ayous / Mahogany / Limba - 88.0g - 5.5mm - 157x150mm - FL (101x25mm) - 1141Hz - 3.1cm (Med)
  5. SDC Handmade Blades

    Beware of using a Disney character's name in NYC, I've heard two lawyers will jump out of a trash bin and sue you 😃
  6. SDC Handmade Blades

    和 (wa) - a concept that implies unity, peace, and harmony. Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / AC / Koto 85.0g - 5.8mm - 1485Hz - Balance: 2.6cm (Low)
  7. FS: SDC Blades

    #282 sold
  8. SDC Handmade Blades

    Custom order, an inner SZLC blade with a thinner core. - Framiré / Ayous / SZLC / Ayous / SZLC / Ayous / Framiré - 94.7g - 5.75mm - 1270Hz - Balance: 2.1cm (Very Low)
  9. SDC Handmade Blades

    Another blade with Glass-fiber, this time a 100 g/m2 fabric. The feeling is basically like an all wood blade, but the GF helps to control some of the bad vibration on this classic composition. The head size is also slightly larger to help generate more momentum in a controlled, spin based play...
  10. FS: SDC Blades

    Added #360
  11. SDC Handmade Blades

    It's very stiff, but there are stiffer blades out there, and I've also made one or two. Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
  12. SDC Handmade Blades

    Tamca 5000 is a 200 g/m2 (or close to that) carbon, which is the same I'm using here. I just call it that because I also use lighter versions. It does sound a little gimmicky, there's nothing super about it, it is what it is, but people are used to this "super" terminology from Butterfly blades...
  13. SDC Handmade Blades

    Custom order, Schalger Carbon style. - Hinoki / Super-Carbon / Kiri / Super-Carbon / Hinoki - 7.3mm - 98.5g - 1850Hz - Balance: 2.3cm (Low)
  14. hipnotic, I call you out!

    I think it's more of a "follow the leader" kind of thing. Maple and Basswood were widely used on blades, then Stiga started making blades with Limba, those became popular and others started using it as well. Why they used Limba in the first place I don't know, Limba is cheap, widely available...
  15. hipnotic, I call you out!

    No Harald, I was talking about natural frequency modes: https://www.sdcttblades.com/nerdy-stuff/frequency-reading-hz
  16. Mjölnir by SDC

    That's great to hear 😁
  17. hipnotic, I call you out!

    Limba is denser and harder than Ayous. The medial ply in a 5+2 is usually horizontal, so the individual stiffness of that wood layer does not impact longitudinal stiffness directly. It does impact transversal stiffness, so all else being equal it will feel a bit more solid and harder. Harder...
  18. hipnotic, I call you out!

    I find that hard to believe, that's a whole new set of resources right there. They need to get the wood, store it and dry it, cut it, store the veneers, and in the case of clipper dye the veneers red which requires a specialized process in vacuum. It' not just one machine. If it is true and they...
  19. SDC Handmade Blades

    Custom order. - Black Limba / ZLC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ZLC / Black Limba - 89.2g - 5.7mm - 1528Hz - Balance: 2.5cm (Low)
  20. hipnotic, I call you out!

    Older blades can gain or lose moisture content, it depends on how they were stored, where they were stored, if they were fairly used or not, if there were environmental changes (shipped from one country to another for example), and the initial moisture content. People always talk about how wood...
Top