Search results

  1. "wrapping" the ball.

    The problem is neither the physics or the technical instruction. The problem is that an engineer who doesnt play or really understand high level table tennis is trying to teach TT as an authority. I never used the phrase "wrapping" before this thread. All I have argued is that from a...
  2. Is EJing good for improving?

    I hear you. It is like making the bad guy in a movie a Black man. Is it a bad thing, of course not, there are good and bad Blacks everywhere. But then some people will point out the dangers of the stereotypes and history. I usually don't care either way, but the example feeds the stereotype.
  3. Is EJing good for improving?

    I will go further, some rubbers like Tenergy make it easier to hit heavy topspin with suboptimal technique. And even Imwhen bouncy, the Tenergy push can be incredibly heavy. Since these modern rubbers and fast blades make it easier to topspins with less effort, are they not crutches? Why is...
  4. Is EJing good for improving?

    The thing is that they got better results so they improved their results. The growth mindset part, I get, but I have seen many people who love table tennis and chess and play them for hours every week and still relatively can't play them that well. Whether it is growth mindset or not, I don't...
  5. Is EJing good for improving?

    So if they can't get better the way you think they should get better and then find LP helps them play better, you think they should not use it? Let me draw an analogy. My current job plays 20k but has the potential to play 200k if I work harder. By switching to another job, I can earn 50k...
  6. Is EJing good for improving?

    LP does work in the long run, I think you are being limited in your perspective if you say that using equipment as a crutch is wrong. In life, one must be rigorously empirical and one may not have time to play every day. Lefties take advantage of their fewer numbers to create problems for...
  7. "wrapping" the ball.

    Hey if he has coached a 1500 player, I would take it. Developing a player is hard. Most of the beginner players I have tried to develop in person end up around 1200, often lower. Getting a player to put in the work required to take the jump is not easy. But sometimes, you can get a player who...
  8. "wrapping" the ball.

    No matter how good you are as a motion control expert, you still suck as a table tennis player. Nothing wrong with that. But if you start out by making it clear that you suck at table tennis relative to your motion control expertise, then people will be able to figure out how useful anything...
  9. "wrapping" the ball.

    A lot of this stuff on the pedagogy side can be tested and learned through self-multiball or hitting loops out of your hand, or after bouncing them off the table/floor. Try to play around with the ball trajectory and spin and see whether the way you shape your stroke affects the ball...
  10. "wrapping" the ball.

    Anyone who has seen you hit the ball knows that most of what you are writing is delusional rationalization based on your low level understanding of table tennis. Post video of you executing loops if you actually believe you can loop. Let's take an actual example of a high level player...
  11. Am in the wrong or is this super annoying to everyone else as well?

    Between point coaching is now legal (has been for a few years) as long as the flow of the match is not interrupted. Basically the coach can call out instructions or communicate signs. But if you think the student verbally acknowledged or discussed with the coach and that took the form of a...
  12. "wrapping" the ball.

    These things are all best handled with a coach, but if you are an adult learner, you are your first coach, at least as important as a formal coach over time. None of us are going to be world class players, so the compromises involved must be understood. But again, no one is advocating anything...
  13. "wrapping" the ball.

    If we are playing hardbat, maybe, but even then, there are differences due to the ball size and table size there as well. Moreover, no one changes the angle radically during the ball contact. What most people do is swing fast through a trajectory that often incorporates angle changes because...
  14. "wrapping" the ball.

    As I have said numerous times, your framing of the problem repeatedly shows you don't understand enough table tennis to analyze the issue. Blahness already pointed out some of the missing issues, but the most obvious one is that the awing. the trajectory is not the same thing as the racket...
  15. I need more warmup

    It's essentially your problem. I definitely don't play my best after 5 mins of hitting, but I make up my mind to be ready to play after 5 minutes of hitting and accept the results. If I absolutely think I need 30 minutes with the right quality of practice partner to be match ready, it is my...
  16. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So I am done EJing for a bit. That last thing out there that still tempts me is an SZLC blade but I am not going yo do it unless I get a windfall of some sort. I tried K3 and it isnt obviously better for me than Golden Tango though I might give it a spin on my backhand on one of my setups...
  17. "wrapping" the ball.

    BB: Curving the ball trajectory in soccer with a wrapping kick is a myth. The ball only spends milliseconds in contact with your foot so you can't make it spin any differently based on how your follow through. Did you know that the ball compresses? Your model for spinning the soccer ball...
  18. European Games 2023

    Oh, I am assuming Felix wins and Gauzy has to play Kallberg.
  19. European Games 2023

    While it is unlikely, Karlsson does have the playing level to beat Alexis - he was the other guy to take Freitas to 7 (of course he lost while Felix won).
Top