Search results

  1. 6 Myths of Table Tennis

    I think it is accurate for everyone. Werner Schlager echoed many of the things Dubina said in a recent interview. I think the real key is context and application ultimately with the goal of developing a player. You can do what he says are myths and develop a player - I think Dubina would...
  2. 6 Myths of Table Tennis

    Thought this video about beliefs that create mindset that prevent you from improving would be helpful. I don't think Dubina is so much absolutely right as challenging fixed mindset.
  3. European Games 2023

    The human body has joints that are round and that pronation and supinate, so claiming it is as "simple as that" is probably missing a few important facts just on the basis of limited awareness. People who topspin swing through curved paths whether they think they do or not. The question is not...
  4. "wrapping" the ball.

    Until you actually post video showing that you can hit a ball with heavy topspin or that you know how to play a hooking or fading loop (or alternatively, that you have coached someone who can do these things), I will gladly stay out it. It is stupid to discuss topics like this with someone who...
  5. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Very fast setups challenge your ability to play good topspin shots, especially when you are not in position (they don't give good arc so you can't bend it like Beckham, but they produce great shots when you are there on time). But as you said, you were happy with how you played and how you...
  6. Different style setups depending on opponent?

    It happens. I don't do it with rubber switches, but I would definitely pick the slower of my identical setups if my opponent was more defensive.
  7. What is Xiom's "energy carbon?" (Strato, Ignito, Axelo)

    The Ignito is not the comp though, the Strato is - the Ignito is more like a Gergely - the Strato is more like the 6.7mm thickness that is the Primorac Carbon (my original post got that wrong). EDIT: My dimensions are way off, seems a Gergely is thicker lol. Well, other than 3+2 Hinoki carbon...
  8. Does anyone play with a torn rotator cuff?

    I play with shoulder arthritis and in addition to rotator cuff tears, I haven't had a normal shoulder in almost 6 years. If you want to avoid surgery, you will need a prolonged period of not playing and a lot of exercises to see whether you can rebuild muscles to support the shoulder again. I...
  9. Is there a very spinny rubber with good control?

    Golden Tango is a high spin rubber with good control. So is Tibhar K3. They are harder sponge though so they require consistent fast swings if you want to loop with them.
  10. Video Footage Safe Thread

    I like it a lot. I think you can go for more power on some of the shots - tuck the racket a bit in between the legs or on your left hip (not literally, but it will feel that way, so you get some forward as well as upward motion) then you can add power to the shot on demand, You might also feel...
  11. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Memory is an interesting thing. 1) You definitely *lost* the first game/set, but won games/sets 2 and 3. 2) You either lost deuce in the 5th or at 8, but I am not in the mood to count seriously. Your game is clearly better on things like serve and touch, but the issues I (and others have...
  12. European Games 2023

    The beauty of this case is that we don't have to choose between them - we can have both. That is what wealth and resources make possible. In reality, when choices have to be made, things are definitely more complicated, but what I will point out is that a lot of these things are worked out...
  13. How do you deal with the float push?

    The main issue is that you can't read the ball (I make the same mistake too). If you can, then you won't miss. And if you miss despite reading the ball, then just get a multiball feed and develop a stroke by experimenting. I tend to start a bit higher and finish a bit lower vs no spin...
  14. European Games 2023

    To your original point: the WHY mentality is normal for adult learners, because they are now at an age where they think in terms of reasoning. It is no longer just copy the people around you or accept the experts. Language does this to most people. And it is good to have answers that help...
  15. European Games 2023

    It's "my" thread if the OP has a say, but as I tell people, if you care about the original topic, you can always discuss it
  16. What is Xiom's "energy carbon?" (Strato, Ignito, Axelo)

    Garaydia T5000 is Schlager Carbon territory so it is more like the Axelo. Strato and Ignito are both fast but not at that level, the Strato I think is Primorac Carbon or Donic Carbospeed. And I am not saying that those fast blades are bad, in fact, the plastic ball and the proliferation of...
  17. European Games 2023

    I am pretty sure they are not technically correct(a stroke is continuous, not discrete so what happens at contact is impacted by both before and after) and what you are getting at can be expressed better by looking at efficiency but at least you are a good player so you can discuss and analyze...
  18. What is Xiom's "energy carbon?" (Strato, Ignito, Axelo)

    Strato Ignito Axelo are just variants of the 3+2 Hinoki Carbon formula and they use a basic carbon weave, no zylon for sure. Donic Carbospeed, Primorac Carbon, Sardius are all in the same sphere, though I think Xiom's speed range for the formula is a bit wider. Amultart and Garaydia ZLC use...
  19. European Games 2023

    @latej, these were the kinds of things I used to take seriously from brokenball when I was a beginner. It was when I really developed my understanding of technique that I realized how stupid they were - even if somehow they were correct physics (and they are at best oversimplified), they are...
  20. Post your latest EJ purchase

    I am trying to decide between a Mizutani SZLC or a Harimoto SZLC. I can't pretend it will be my last purchase for a long time. But at least it will reduce my lust as the guys who play the hardest topspins at the level I want to improve at use it, and the price has been the only thing stopping...
Top