Search results

  1. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Yes. It just takes awareness of where you are on the handle and what kinds of angles you need to create. Because some players just make angle adjustments with the wrist, others with the swing path, most more realistically some combination of both. But the fingers and the wrist are the easiest...
  2. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Good match to post. I write a bit too much so I will try to make a quick comment here. You missed a lot of serve returns because you don't naturally adjust to the sidespin. And a few times, you don't read whether the server cut under the ball (closer to the tip) or behind the ball (closer to...
  3. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    This is exactly why Jun Mizutani never really liked T05, he was the driver behind the development of T64. So you are in good company. Not everyone likes to play topspins almost all the time.
  4. KTS Coach shows how to NOT be tight on FH Topspin

    The guys who tilt their waist without using sufficient leg lunge risk back injury if they use their back to generate too much because the spine can only go so far in certain directions. Injuries have been a huge part of Timo's career so we need to be careful what technical lessons we adopt...
  5. KTS Coach shows how to NOT be tight on FH Topspin

    The video is awesome - her use of the body is not debatable. Her opinion on the forehand followthrough, well.... That said, there is no one way to do anything in TT. But I would argue that what she is saying there probably applies more to hitting than looping and there are reasons people salute...
  6. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Tsubasa, this video is a good tutorial on what I am talking about. It gets harder if the blocker has good footwork but hopefully the concept is clear. https://youtu.be/RoIXkAAaXyw
  7. Seth Pech Youtube Channel

    Seth posts tutorials and training videos as well as match videos with commentary. Here is his latest:
  8. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    There are at least a couple of options, one is a hook (which is very difficult) and the other is similar to a snake shot by Bobrow/Gauzy but has a more violent trajectory.
  9. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    I agree, the main thing I try to do is get people to stop focusing on putting the ball on the table and try them to get into the habit of adapting in practice. I detail too many instructions, but they aren't really instructions, they are just ways to tell you that you don't have to hit the ball...
  10. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    The pain of missing the table holds lots of learners at all ages back. My instructions are always the same. 1. Think broadly in stoke paths defined by where you start your racket and the relative angle, where you contact the balm and the relative angle and when you finish your stroke and the...
  11. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    BTW, since I forgot to mention this, having a short and whippy backhand that is deceptively spinny is an incredibly good and effective thing. In TT very often, it is better to have a stroke that is deceptively spinny than to have a stroke that is absolutely spinny - people not adjusting for...
  12. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    There are a lot of misconceptions around spin, and I might not be the right person to address them all. But hopefully, I can save you from some of the bad posts I have read on the subject (I will not reference them here out of respect for the posters, who I sometimes revered while learning TT)...
  13. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    The way the backhand works, it is hard for even beginners to play it without some use of the body and many people have thrown frisbees before. On the forehand side, using the arm without the upper body is easier because most people who are not athletes don't do the throw the way the forehand...
  14. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Yes, there are things that help, but everything takes time. Getting stronger fingers (which most people coincidentally do from gripping TT rackets) helps, as being able to grip the racket with the fingers as opposed to building tension in the arm muscles allows you to relax and whip the racket...
  15. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    You can take many routes as long as you are not in a rush. I provide my typical one below. Relaxing to hit the ball mostly means that you are trying to use the larger muscle groups in the lower body and core and not the arm. It takes a lot of practice at slower timing to get the body to...
  16. Can Virtual Reality Improve Real Life Table Tennis?! | 30 Day Challenge

    There are clearly aspects of her game that are still not what someone would ideally want, but the key thing she did and which I think is coachable regardless of how you are coached is that she swung her racket through a path. She might not use her body optimally to do it, and this is not so...
  17. Can Virtual Reality Improve Real Life Table Tennis?! | 30 Day Challenge

    Victor Moraga is far from a total noob so I find his comments interesting.
  18. Video Footage Safe Thread

    That makes some sense, though I am not fully sure what you mean when you say you can't carry the shoulder. The main thing though is that you need to expand your forehand window and that can only happen if you can play more towards the ball and not across your body. So maybe you need to adjust...
  19. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Great stuff - I admire your game - as an adult learner with no formal coaching, you have done very well. The lack of coaching is pronounced in your forehand for sure, but it isn't terrible, I think it you should consider making your forehand more of a salute movement so you hit the ball with...
  20. Ibrahima Diaw Training Tips

    The last one is especially important:
Top