Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thought the hideout was a side cave on stately Wayne Manor, wait, wut, doh!

Burn all files now, loose lips sink ships!

Initiate emergency evacuation protocol #68! !!!

Well, the thing about the secret hideout is that, even if you did find one of the moving entrances, you would have to know how to navigate the labyrinth first to have any hope of finding your way to the subterranean workshop. There are times when someone finds his way into the labyrinth and gets stuck there until we decide let him find one of the exits. It is pretty funny when someone wanders into the labyrinth in Houston and walks out of it and finds himself in London. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well, the thing about the secret hideout is that, even if you did find one of the moving entrances, you would have to know how to navigate the labyrinth first to have any hope of finding your way to the subterranean workshop. There are times when someone finds his way into the labyrinth and gets stuck there until we decide let him find one of the exits. It is pretty funny when someone wanders into the labyrinth in Houston and walks out of it and finds himself in London. :)

Showing my age here, some of you may get this

Ultima III!

Time Bandits!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. Funny story for today's table tennis day.

Going from one job to the next, I passed by Bryant Park (NYC) which has 2 outdoor tables. I used to play there and I know everyone there.

Personally, I hate playing outdoors because I don't like adding wind to spin with a table tennis ball. To me that seems silly.

So, it's windy. I show up, say high to a few people. And I have no intention of hitting. But there is this guy who wants to hit with someone. And someone has told him I am good.

This guy is a chopper and he is an older guy with a hip injury so he can't really move but he is actually decent.

He is doing these sidespin chops and half of them actually have topspin on them even though the motion is a chop. And it is not because he has pips. He doesn't.

So he is doing these sidespin chops into the wind and spraying the ball all over the place and he is changing the spin with every shot. Man you should see what the wind does to slow floating side spin chops!

So I am running around retrieving his shots and putting them back however I can because the wind is making my job 3x harder than it would have been if we were indoors.

Now, I said he had a bad hip and can't move but he is running me around. And then he complains that I am not hitting it right to him. So I say, "I don't see you hitting it right to me either. You are making me move." And then he gets angry because sometimes I am looping and sometimes I am smashing the ball and sometimes I am pushing. And he says, "which one are you going to do? Make up your mind!" And I say: "funny, your making me run all over the place but you want me to hit it right to you. And you keep changing spins and sometimes it's dead, and sometimes it's heavy and sometimes it's topspin and sometimes it is backspin and sometimes you decide to try and loop. But you want me to hit the same way to you?"

Anyway, I had a good laugh about it. And when he saw me laughing after I said that he said: "that's pretty good. Your right. I like how you said it and just laughed." Hahahahaha. So funny.

Anyway that was my 15 min of hitting outdoors. 15 min is enough outdoor play for me for the rest of the winter. You have to be better than I am to adjust for wind, and spin at the same time when you play outdoors.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
i may be too nice or i may see it a different way

i would hit to him and let him do whatever, he's giving me a challenge, he's trying to help me improve, the easiest way to do that is to hit to him :)

however, i don't hit at Bryant Park for the same reason you have... 'cos of the wind.. also, because of the pepples ground - twisted both ankles 2x as a "ute", er forgive me your honor, i mean "youth" (anyone catch this reference? bueller? bueller? bueller? :)

so yeah lol at me and framing it positive

Okay. Funny story for today's table tennis day.

Going from one job to the next, I passed by Bryant Park (NYC) which has 2 outdoor tables. I used to play there and I know everyone there.

Personally, I hate playing outdoors because I don't like adding wind to spin with a table tennis ball. To me that seems silly.

So, it's windy. I show up, say high to a few people. And I have no intention of hitting. But there is this guy who wants to hit with someone. And someone has told him I am good.

This guy is a chopper and he is an older guy with a hip injury so he can't really move but he is actually decent.

He is doing these sidespin chops and half of them actually have topspin on them even though the motion is a chop. And it is not because he has pips. He doesn't.

So he is doing these sidespin chops into the wind and spraying the ball all over the place and he is changing the spin with every shot. Man you should see what the wind does to slow floating side spin chops!

So I am running around retrieving his shots and putting them back however I can because the wind is making my job 3x harder than it would have been if we were indoors.

Now, I said he had a bad hip and can't move but he is running me around. And then he complains that I am not hitting it right to him. So I say, "I don't see you hitting it right to me either. You are making me move." And then he gets angry because sometimes I am looping and sometimes I am smashing the ball and sometimes I am pushing. And he says, "which one are you going to do? Make up your mind!" And I say: "funny, your making me run all over the place but you want me to hit it right to you. And you keep changing spins and sometimes it's dead, and sometimes it's heavy and sometimes it's topspin and sometimes it is backspin and sometimes you decide to try and loop. But you want me to hit the same way to you?"

Anyway, I had a good laugh about it. And when he saw me laughing after I said that he said: "that's pretty good. Your right. I like how you said it and just laughed." Hahahahaha. So funny.

Anyway that was my 15 min of hitting outdoors. 15 min is enough outdoor play for me for the rest of the winter. You have to be better than I am to adjust for wind, and spin at the same time when you play outdoors.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
20161004_161116[1].jpg20161010_220406[1].jpg20161010_220729[1].jpg

42andbackpains hooked it up for me on the short pips ... will try out tonight

Blade - Nexy Amazon CPen
FH - MX-P
BH - will either be stiga clipper or spinlord waran (which i'm told is faster than the stiga)

Can't wait for tonight to try these out... it has been forever since i hit with pips. bouncing a ball off of it, it's totally different than the inverted... should be fun seeing what i can do with pips, given, i play a predominately ph pips close-to-the-table style with inverted to begin with lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Double red? This isn't 1980 :). I like Spinlord Waran actually.

LOL at "1980" - ouch!!

Re: the double red - it's just for test purposes for now. I don't intend to play rated events, will just be a club player. But after testing 3 nights this week, i will have a better feel for the short pips and will be either buying a black pips for the Amazon or put on a brand new blk MX-P which i already have.

From what 42&bp said of the Spinlord Waran being faster, am curious to try it out ... but I wanted to try out the slower pips first so i can understand and appreciate what 'faster' is.

This user has no status.
LOL at "1980" - ouch!!

Re: the double red - it's just for test purposes for now. I don't intend to play rated events, will just be a club player. But after testing 3 nights this week, i will have a better feel for the short pips and will be either buying a black pips for the Amazon or put on a brand new blk MX-P which i already have.

From what 42&bp said of the Spinlord Waran being faster, am curious to try it out ... but I wanted to try out the slower pips first so i can understand and appreciate what 'faster' is.

Just a random question, is "Pips" a common term for pimples in America?

Over here we call them "Pimps" haha :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Just a random question, is "Pips" a common term for pimples in America?

Over here we call them "Pimps" haha :)

When I was actively playing TT back in the 1980's, 'pimples' was interchangeable with 'pips' in US. Think it's still in usage.

I'm sure you know what a pimp is in American usage, think it may be the same in UK LOL

This user has no status.
When I was actively playing TT back in the 1980's, 'pimples' was interchangeable with 'pips' in US. Think it's still in usage.

I'm sure you know what a pimp is in American usage, think it may be the same in UK LOL

Haha yes, I do know what it means, I was just curious because no one that I know calls them "Pips", so I assumed it was an American term or something :)

Thanks for the insight - I might start calling them Pips now :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks for the insight - I might start calling them Pips now :)

N E Time on insight. We are all in this Trip we call Table Tennis.

Your mates will either think you daft or cool for calling them pips LOL If i called them Pimps though, everyone will think of something else LOLOL

But you are cool in my book!

This user has no status.
N E Time on insight. We are all in this Trip we call Table Tennis.

Your mates will either think you daft or cool for calling them pips LOL If i called them Pimps though, everyone will think of something else LOLOL

But you are cool in my book!

haha yeh it works both ways I suppose :) Maybe I'll stick to calling them Pimps over in the UK, but if I'm talking to people in the US, I will refer to them as Pips.

You are cool in my book too OSPH!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
i may be too nice or i may see it a different way

i would hit to him and let him do whatever, he's giving me a challenge, he's trying to help me improve, the easiest way to do that is to hit to him :)

however, i don't hit at Bryant Park for the same reason you have... 'cos of the wind.. also, because of the pepples ground - twisted both ankles 2x as a "ute", er forgive me your honor, i mean "youth" (anyone catch this reference? bueller? bueller? bueller? :)

so yeah lol at me and framing it positive

Hahaha. This gave me a good laugh. When I was looping to you and you were blocking, didn't you apologize for not being able to put my loops back to the same place because of the sidespin?

And I seem to remember telling you I liked the randomness. I liked it from this guy but nobody was going to put the ball back to the same place over and over again; well maybe 2500 and up.

Take a good deceptive chop with sidespin that could be backspin or topspin from a guy who used to be 1900 when his hip was not injured. Add his occasional float chops that were basically dead. Add wind. Add balls that are heavy backspin double bounce. Add balls that get blown by the wind so they don't come off the table, loops that move you from deep BH to wide FH, lobs with sidespin and the wind, and add that the wind is mostly blowing across the table in the direction of his sidespin and the wind dies down, and then the wind kicks in, and no matter how you look at it, the natural place to go for the balls that were deep to the BH was not the FH side where he was standing.

If you tried to just hit it right to him, and always either loop or smash but not choose the one that worked for the ball he gave you and not push the short double bounce chops that were low, you may not have gotten too many balls on the table. I know I wouldn't have.

But when I said it the way I said it, he realized he was asking for an impossible task, especially given the wind.

So that is at least part of why he laughed with me when he realized I was doing my best and was laughing at the scenario.

Hahaha. It was fun. It is amazing how the wind will take a sidespin chop because of how it floats.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
LOL at me, yeah i remember our session

lol - it';s great the chopper 'got' it.

now as weather is colder, i cannot even think of playing outdoors lol

Hahaha. This gave me a good laugh. When I was looping to you and you were blocking, didn't you apologize for not being able to put my loops back to the same place because of the sidespin?

And I seem to remember telling you I liked the randomness. I liked it from this guy but nobody was going to put the ball back to the same place over and over again; well maybe 2500 and up.

Take a good deceptive chop with sidespin that could be backspin or topspin from a guy who used to be 1900 when his hip was not injured. Add his occasional float chops that were basically dead. Add wind. Add balls that are heavy backspin double bounce. Add balls that get blown by the wind so they don't come off the table, loops that move you from deep BH to wide FH, lobs with sidespin and the wind, and add that the wind is mostly blowing across the table in the direction of his sidespin and the wind dies down, and then the wind kicks in, and no matter how you look at it, the natural place to go for the balls that were deep to the BH was not the FH side where he was standing.

If you tried to just hit it right to him, and always either loop or smash but not choose the one that worked for the ball he gave you and not push the short double bounce chops that were low, you may not have gotten too many balls on the table. I know I wouldn't have.

But when I said it the way I said it, he realized he was asking for an impossible task, especially given the wind.

So that is at least part of why he laughed with me when he realized I was doing my best and was laughing at the scenario.

Hahaha. It was fun. It is amazing how the wind will take a sidespin chop because of how it floats.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl