Zhang Jike Technique Compilation from a ZJK fan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
His BH over-the-table loop off short balls.

This is his specialty, and one of the hardest shots to master in table tennis. It’s very demanding on the wrist, and upper body strength(especially the core and back muscles).

http://www.bokett.com/tt/dispbbs.asp?boardid=584&Id=258833

There are more explanation in the pictures, but it’s in Chinese. Main points:

1) Don’t contact the ball on the side but rather on the back of the ball. This will give you much better speed and spin on the ball. Also this would give you more topspin which will make it hard for the opponent to make a strong return off your loop.

2) Don’t step into the table with your right foot too much, otherwise you will be jammed due to the speed of the short serve.

3) Use your left hand to judge how high the ball bounces.

4) Upper body must bend forward to give room for backswing.

5) During backswing, move your wrist as far back as possible, so that the bat points towards your stomach.

, thanks to DiegoTTTube
Personal tips:

1) Think of using the back and core muscles in this shot. The “unarching” of the back can provide surprising amounts of power.

2) When learning, learn it on easy balls first(high and slow short balls with less spin) to get the feeling of contacting the ball, don’t try it on faster, low short serves otherwise you’ll probably hit your bat on the table. Then, increase the difficulty more and more(lower, faster and more spin)

I still find it really difficult to master this shot and once hurt my wrist due to practising this shot for few hours.

Updated with close-up videos of his serve and BH over-the-table loop.

Can someone help me with this shot? Usually when I retrieve serves with heavy backspin I tend to open by bat so it faces upwards to execute the shot. It works well, puts quite a good amount of sidespin on the ball, but the ball is a little high and when it bounces it makes it easier for the opponent to retrieve it.

When I try to do the shot like how Zhang Jike does it, the ball immediately goes into the net when it contacts my bat because it is closed too much. My coach keeps telling me to open it more so it goes over the net but then the same thing happens as mentioned above.

I really wanna learn how to execute this move properly so I would appreciate it if someone helps me out here. Thanks :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
So apparently he did play extremely well there. Perhaps recently he has just been off, or has had less passion for the sport as when I watched him play in WTTC 2014 he seemed to be somewhat afraid to attack at times and played much more cautiously than previously