Upgrading Ak47 Yellow on FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
Hi there!

I’ve been using Ak47 yellow on Forehand with xiom offensive s and want to change to similar but fast and spinnier rubber.

It’s important to be a controlled rubber on the short game, serve receives and pushes. My focus is to develop my strokes (I know that faster rubber can harm... but I have coaching and maybe I can get benefits from have a more challenging setup)

I found good prices here for cornilleau target pro gt m43 and h47, but I want to know how it compares, especially with most known rubbers like Vega Pro and Fastarc g1 and modern rubbers like Hexer Powergrip or Tsp Super Ventus.

Because of my level, and as it will be my first “tensor” rubber, I was more keen on to m43, but I was in doubt if it’s slower and less spinnier than Vega Pro. Also, because it’s 43 degree sponge, don’t know if it’s to soft for my forehand.

So, my question is... should I go with m43 or it’s best to go to h47 even if it’s a more “challenging” rubber? Also, there is another rubbers that I should looking for? Hope that this helps another people to because I know that many people use Ak47 as a cheaper tensor experience but also want to upgrade to the real thing.

Thanks a lot!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
Thank you guys! But, as Ak47 is non tacky/matte rubber, I am looking forward to something in that style, because I have already used tacky rubbers (Sanwei Target 90) but didn’t like it...

My coach indicated something like omega v pro, but I read it it’s not good to short game.

@yogi, do you think that Cornilleau Target h47 is a good option? Or it’s much faster/bouncy than Omega V Pro and Vega Pro, and will harm my development?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
I, personally, wouldn't move to a tacky rubber from AK47 either.

Are you in a club? Do you have access to testing other people's rackets?

You are playing for 6 months, right?
If you have a coach, I would just go with his suggestions actually…

I’m taking classes here in São Paulo, but I already saw other people there just starting with carbon blades due to “teachers/coaches” recommendations so I don’t think they really care about it...rs But that is my personal impression about my club as a whole. So my confidence is higher here, rs.

I have access to other equipment but the majority are carbon blades, totally different than 5ply. Also, my club surely will close due to Coronavirus.

Maybe I will wait a little bit more... I was wanting to change now because the coming steep rise in prices because of economy instabilities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
The closest things that comes to my mind to ak47 is donic blue(storm/fire). I've used blue version of ak47 and older bluefire, one of the jp series I think. Top sheet had similar matte finish if my memory is right, the donic were much more in all respects though. Maybe that's a direction worth pursuing.

PS: Don't get me wrong, those rubbers played very differently and they are in two different worlds quality and price wise, they just had similar style/feeling to me.

Reactions: Fernando Delfini
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
The closest things that comes to my mind to ak47 is donic blue(storm/fire). I've used blue version of ak47 and older bluefire, one of the jp series I think. Top sheet had similar matte finish if my memory is right, the donic were much more in all respects though. Maybe that's a direction worth pursuing.

PS: Don't get me wrong, those rubbers played very differently and they are in two different worlds quality and price wise, they just had similar style/feeling to me.

thanks! sure it´s different world... I´m into change also because of that :) I´ve read that bluestorm/fire doesn´t last so much when compared to other rubbers... don´t know if it´s true...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The Target Pro are excellent, I would say do it if your game is mostly loop oriented. I tried all three rubbers (AK yellow, GT-43 and 47) repeatedly when my brother was doing changes, on a Hinotec Off and Virtuoso + so not too different from yours. Am also familiar with Vega Pro on Offensive S. With the Target you will have to get used to the extra dynamism in the sponge, but then the much improved grip over the AK and pretty stable topsheet give you a lot more options, even in terms of recovery. Control is a very relative thing. You would have to play actively most of the time, though. I find the short game very easy with them when considering rubbers in their class, easier for example than the Rakza 7 I have used for a long time and was using then. It's mostly the middle gears that would require an adjustment. The topsheet (Bibendum approved, haha) is to me what really sets the Cornilleau apart. Interestingly, in the recent thread that asked members to name their three favourite FH and BH rubbers, they made a good number of appearances (and, from memory, both from people who use or don't use tacky rubbers). The Vega Pro is different as the sponge is less immediately activated. It is the one that will require the most body engagement, but also maybe the one easiest to understand overall and a safe bet to develop good fundamental strokes. The GT-43 will be better if you are not as direct, quick on your feet or if you rely on quick arm actions. There is nothing it can't do, but it won't feel nearly as crisp as the VP on contact and will have a decisively lower top-end on hard shots. This last point, you shouldn't have to worry about. The GT-47 feels softer than the VP but it is also significantly more dynamic, unless you already feel that you can be active and aware of spin on every ball it may get tricky to handle.
Long story short (did I type all this?), now that I have made it clearer also in my mind - VP 1.8mm to develop good and clean active strokes. GT-43, if you like to play with touch and European-style trickery - also, much more dwell-time and easier open-ups. GT-47 for both of the above, if you feel reasonably confident and want to take the other approach, which is to choose an advanced set-up early on and grow and stick with it (you said you're being trained - that combo would remain a killer until a very high level). The 47 is still for me a rubber clearly easier to use than the benchmark T05, and some young ones get started with that from the get go... Just don't go with max sponge.

Thank you guys! But, as Ak47 is non tacky/matte rubber, I am looking forward to something in that style, because I have already used tacky rubbers (Sanwei Target 90) but didn’t like it...

My coach indicated something like omega v pro, but I read it it’s not good to short game.

@yogi, do you think that Cornilleau Target h47 is a good option? Or it’s much faster/bouncy than Omega V Pro and Vega Pro, and will harm my development?

I think i was wrong to remember that the ak47 is not tacky. So if you want a non tacky rubber go with something not too fast. Target h47 is good and it. Is faster than vega pro but i do not think it is faster than O5Pro. I would suggest a different rubber, Vega Japan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
The Target Pro are excellent, I would say do it if your game is mostly loop oriented. I tried all three rubbers (AK yellow, GT-43 and 47) repeatedly when my brother was doing changes, on a Hinotec Off and Virtuoso + so not too different from yours. Am also familiar with Vega Pro on Offensive S. With the Target you will have to get used to the extra dynamism in the sponge, but then the much improved grip over the AK and pretty stable topsheet give you a lot more options, even in terms of recovery. Control is a very relative thing. You would have to play actively most of the time, though. I find the short game very easy with them when considering rubbers in their class, easier for example than the Rakza 7 I have used for a long time and was using then. It's mostly the middle gears that would require an adjustment. The topsheet (Bibendum approved, haha) is to me what really sets the Cornilleau apart. Interestingly, in the recent thread that asked members to name their three favourite FH and BH rubbers, they made a good number of appearances (and, from memory, both from people who use or don't use tacky rubbers). The Vega Pro is different as the sponge is less immediately activated. It is the one that will require the most body engagement, but also maybe the one easiest to understand overall and a safe bet to develop good fundamental strokes. The GT-43 will be better if you are not as direct, quick on your feet or if you rely on quick arm actions. There is nothing it can't do, but it won't feel nearly as crisp as the VP on contact and will have a decisively lower top-end on hard shots. This last point, you shouldn't have to worry about. The GT-47 feels softer than the VP but it is also significantly more dynamic, unless you already feel that you can be active and aware of spin on every ball it may get tricky to handle.
Long story short (did I type all this?), now that I have made it clearer also in my mind - VP 1.8mm to develop good and clean active strokes. GT-43, if you like to play with touch and European-style trickery - also, much more dwell-time and easier open-ups. GT-47 for both of the above, if you feel reasonably confident and want to take the other approach, which is to choose an advanced set-up early on and grow and stick with it (you said you're being trained - that combo would remain a killer until a very high level). The 47 is still for me a rubber clearly easier to use than the benchmark T05, and some young ones get started with that from the get go... Just don't go with max sponge.

Thank you Ioiettino for such an insightful answer. After reading, I understand that Cornilleau H47 is the best, because one of the AK47 problems is the need for full-body engagement to create power and, if you just do a short-movement drive, the ball goes to the net, especially on open-ups. (I´ve understood that h47 can be used with short quick movements, like active blocks, if I misunderstood, please tell me :eek:)

However, saying sorry in advance, I stay in a dilemma about VP, m43 and h47. About three main things:

First, you said that H47 is trickier if I can´t read spin properly. I´m working on that but, as I´m on my first year learning table tennis (at 28 years old), I´m far from getting there, especially on sidespin long serve receives. The two Cornilleau´s rubbers are more sensitive to spin than VP?

Second, because of the above, I understand that maybe m43 is the best bet. However, is it speed so far lower as you said than VP? Also, is it less spinny than VP and H47? If it´s faster than ak47 yellow it´s enough for me. But I want more spin, because ak47 lacks a lot in this zone, in serves, but also in the safety to loop underspin.

Third, I´m leaning to Cornilleau because I´m getting the rubbers for the same price of VP, but the seller only has a MAX sponge.

As you´ve said, long story short, in my club a lot of people already use rubbers like rakza 7, rozena, vega pro, with carbon blades, in their first year training. That encourages me to use something faster in my more tamed blade. However, if H47 is that tricky for someone on my level, I don´t feel that I have so much confidence... :DBut, if the effort in training will payoff, maybe I can work harder, especially that I know that the rubber will lasts at least 6 months in my frequency of training, and in that time I will be better too.

what do you think? thanks again!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
I think i was wrong to remember that the ak47 is not tacky. So if you want a non tacky rubber go with something not too fast. Target h47 is good and it. Is faster than vega pro but i do not think it is faster than O5Pro. I would suggest a different rubber, Vega Japan.

Thanks again for always answer my questions! Are the Vega Japan easier to open-up/loop underspin than VP and H47? Also, it´s spinnier than both?

As I wrote above, Vega Japan is expensive than Cornilleau here. It´s still a better choice?

(don´t know if you already tried, but I´m using presto spin 42 on my backhand and can handle it without problems, it´s just feel too soft on backhand punches)

Vega Japan and Omega 7 pro

thanks for your answers too!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
If you have low budget I think reactor thunder is a good choice.

Hi BeTWO,

Kindly compare speed, spin, hardness and weight of Reactor Thunder with DHS H3 Neo commercial version please,

Thank you in advance for your reply and answer, I’m also living in Thailand.

This user has no status.
Hi BeTWO,

Kindly compare speed, spin, hardness and weight of Reactor Thunder with DHS H3 Neo commercial version please,

Thank you in advance for your reply and answer, I’m also living in Thailand.

Sawadee Kub,

Speed : RT > H3
spin : H3 > RT (a little bit)
Hardness : H3 > RT
Weight : H3 > RT
Tacky : H3 > RT

If you want to try you can come to Lumpini park and try my bat. RT is easy to use, spin is very good even it not so tacky like a H3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Sawadee Kub,

Speed : RT > H3
spin : H3 > RT (a little bit)
Hardness : H3 > RT
Weight : H3 > RT
Tacky : H3 > RT

If you want to try you can come to Lumpini park and try my bat. RT is easy to use, spin is very good even it not so tacky like a H3.

Sawadee Kub Kuhn BeTWO,

I’m had saw Reactor Thunder (Black sponge) on sales at Pingpong Inter shop, is this rubber’s model you are talking about ?

Thank you.