Return of International TT Matches

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
KATO got 2 games of CHEN even there was never really any doubt about the issue of the match

There are 3 levels to chinese threats

1. Losing 3-4, 9-11 in the last set (Ito)
2. Taking 2 games off consistently (Kato)
3. Getting whitewashed (zeio's idol)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

Cyberbullying! Look at senpai on the verge of tears. The sniffles ~

Kato looks a little unwell though (gasp), which she sort of alluded to in the post-match interview.

This user has no status.
on the good side of things, ISHIKAWA's mandarin seems to have been never better. (can't understand much of it)

KATO said she could train seriously only in the last 2-3 months. that she feels her condition is not at the top yet, and she was very nervous before the match. She felt the big difference in level against CHEN Meng, especially in the rallies but said she didn't feel completely powerless because her serve and receive got her points throughout the match and gave her some chances. Despite that she acknowledged again that the gap was too big with CHEN Meng.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...nal-TT-Matches&p=329440&viewfull=1#post329440
  就如她在输给孙颖莎后表示,不论输赢她都想要从国乒队员身上学到东西,“输球可以收获很多经验,但如果输了之后什么都没有学到的话,那就不知道后面怎么办了。”
Ito after losing to SYS: "You can gain a lot of experience from losing, but if you don't learn anything after losing, then you won't know what to do afterwards."

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
Peng You: What happened?
Ishikawa: I didn't receive well. Perhaps, I didn't have the means to win points when receiving. I had the slight upper hand in the last encounter. When I was trailing today, I got a little hasty in receiving. I didn't play well today.
Peng You: Your form is a little different from how it was at the World Cup.
Ishikawa: Right. She also changed her tactics here. She's a strong player after all. I...how to put it...I didn't play well. I lost my cool when trailing.
Peng You: But you found your flow in G2, bagging it with a lobsided score.
Ishikawa: In G3, she increased her attacks. I was a little conservative.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Gauzy!
Zoyq3A6.jpg

Jan 2018

To add insult to injury:

And so, Hayata will finish the year with the impressive and consistent record of taking at least 2 games against anyone. Yup, anyone.
On top of that, Hayata is the only 1 among the top 8 JNT members to start from the prelim all year round. She has had to play 2, 3 or even 4 extra matches when the others could start from the main draw. Under that condition, she took at least 2 games in all those matches she lost against LSW, CM and so on.

Jan 2018
Calderano: Who cares about the World Cup title? I'm here to take out FZD, just like I did 2 years ago!
Xj4yt3e.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
On a separate note, T-league seems like a mini Asian Games o_O Just looked at the roster, though slightly perplexed at the ranking system.

- Hou Yingchao is only graded AA despite a decent run the last season
- Joo Se Hyuk even lower, only an A, because he doesn't play as much now?
- Kizukuri and An Jaehyn are S because...?
- Shin Yubin gets only an A, the same as Harimoto Miwa...?
- Sakura Mori is ranked S. Why??

Pretty sure this was discussed elsewhere but how were the players ranked?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
On a separate note, T-league seems like a mini Asian Games o_O Just looked at the roster, though slightly perplexed at the ranking system.

- Hou Yingchao is only graded AA despite a decent run the last season
- Joo Se Hyuk even lower, only an A, because he doesn't play as much now?
- Kizukuri and An Jaehyn are S because...?
- Shin Yubin gets only an A, the same as Harimoto Miwa...?
- Sakura Mori is ranked S. Why??

Pretty sure this was discussed elsewhere but how were the players ranked?

Kizukuri is definitely not an S....neither is AJH but maybe they feel better about that given he knocked Harimoto at Worlds last year :p

Reactions: Janard
Jan 2018
https://tleague.jp/about/
◆ 選手ランク

下記の通り、選手ランクを設定します。
選手ランク 要件
S ・WR20位以内(直近2シーズン以内)
・オリンピック・世界選手権でシングルスベスト8以内(直近4シーズン以内)
・オリンピック・世界選手権で団体優勝(直近4シーズン以内)
・ワールドツアー(グランドファイナル・T2ダイヤモンド・プラチナ)で優勝(直近2シーズン以内)
・全日本選手権ベスト4以上 (直近2シーズン以内) 
AAA ・WR40位以内(直近2シーズン以内)
・オリンピック・世界選手権でシングルスベスト16以内(直近4シーズン以内)
・Tリーグ前年シーズンにおいて、シングルスでAAAランクに3勝、個人成績13ポイント以上
・ワールドツアー(レギュラー)で優勝(直近2シーズン以内)
・全日本選手権ベスト8以上 (直近2シーズン以内)
AA ・WR60位以内(直近2シーズン以内)
・日本選手権ベスト16以内(直近2シーズン以内)
・Tリーグ前年シーズンにおいて、個人成績5ポイント以上
A 上記は満たさないが、AAランク相当以上の実力があると認められるもの
(少なくとも、AAランクと戦って2〜3回に1回は勝てるレベル)

※「直近nシーズン以内」とは、n年前の1月以降を指す。
(2020-2021シーズン中であれば、直近2シーズン以内=2018年1月以降。直近4シーズン以内=2016年1月以降)
※「個人成績ポイント」とは、シングルス1勝=1ポイント、ダブルス1勝=0.5ポイントとして計算
◆ Player rank

Set the player rank as follows.
Player rank requirements
S ・ WR within 20th place (within the last 2 seasons)
・ Within 8 singles best at the Olympic and World Championships (within the last 4 seasons)
・ Group championship in the Olympic and World Championships (within the last 4 seasons)
・ Won the World Tour (Grand Final, T2 Diamond, Platinum) (within the last 2 seasons)
・ All Japan Championship Best 4 or above (within the last 2 seasons)
AAA ・ WR 40th place or less (within the last 2 seasons)
・ Within 16 singles best at the Olympic and World Championships (within the last 4 seasons)
・ In the previous season of the T-League, 3 wins in AAA rank in singles, 13 points or more in individual results
・ Won the World Tour (Regular) (within the last 2 seasons)
・ All Japan Championship Best 8 or above (within the last 2 seasons)
AA / WR within 60th place (within the last 2 seasons)
・ Within the 16 best Japanese championships (within the last 2 seasons)
・ Individual results of 5 points or more in the previous season of the T-League
A Those who do not meet the above, but are recognized as having the ability equivalent to AA rank or higher
(At least, you can fight AA rank and win once every two to three times)

* "Within the last n seasons" refers to January or later n years ago.
(During the 2020-2021 season, within the last 2 seasons = after January 2018. Within the last 4 seasons = after January 2016)
* "Individual performance points" are calculated as 1 win for singles = 1 point and 1 win for doubles = 0.5 points.

Jan 2018
AJH is S just because he's WTTC 2019 MS bronze medalist.
Kizukuri is S just because he's All-Japan 2019 MS bronze medalist. Same deal for Mori.

Reactions: Janard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Now I know why Zeio didn't want to translate this. It's hella long. But I'll do it when I can in preparation for translation classes next semester.

Analysis on the looming crisis for CNT past ML and FZD by The Paper

https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pi...e1717034.shtml

CNT sweeps World Cup but doubts linger. Who will fend off Harimoto after “Dragon & Fatty” (Ma Long & Fan Zhendong)?

From trailing, to coming back and pulling ahead, and then levelling once more, the winner gets decided by the last 2 points in the end. In a classic “Dragon Fatty Showdown” (lol), table tennis announced its return after an 8 month hiatus. Nothing else could have been more fitting.

This as been a very fruitful World Cup for CNT. Not simply because China swept the champion and runners-up positions in both men’s and women’s categories, but more so because Fan Zhendong and Chen Meng emerged as champions, giving a huge boost in their respective campaigns to represent China at the Tokyo Olympics.

But amidst doubts remain the stability - besides “Long & Fatty”, no one else in the men’s team can perform consistently; Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen’s absence has also made selection on the women’s side highly volatile.

Tomozaku Harimoto, who pushed Ma Long to the edge, and Mima Ito, who is constantly coming up with new strategies, are eager to occupy the champion’s throne in men’s and women’s singles. What’s more, they are still young.

Fan Zhendong, the mature “little fatty”

“Today’s score was very tight, and the match was a gruelling process. It gave me a great opportunity to hone my strength, and the difficulty makes this championship even more precious.” Fan Zhendong emoted after winning his fourth Men’s World Cup Championship, which also became the latest and most significant “Dragon X Fatty Showdown”.

Contrary to Fan who had a smooth ride to the finals, Ma Long, who endured a gruelling 7 setter in the semifinals, had the better start. According to Fan, Ma Long got into rhythm faster than he had imagined.

However, Fan quickly came to his senses and demonstrated his newfound stability - at the Qatar open, the final international tournament before the lockdown, Fan had also won gold.

“Leading 3-1, I felt that I had things under control, but the next two sets were completely different from what I had expected, and the final set turned out to be where I performed the best.” Fan Zhendong’s recalled, with an assuring calm in his voice.

“Ma Long also played very well, I did not hide nor loosen up, we just went head to head.”

The truth is, putting his four World Cup championships aside, 23 year old Fan Zhendong was struggling with his mental game - losing to Liang Jingkun while in peak condition; subsequently losing to Ma Long and Xu Xin at the China and Japan Opens respectively; he would then go on to lose external matches to Jung Young-sik and Franziska… It was not until the German Open last year that he gradually returned to form.

The interesting thing was, public opinion on Fan Zhendong right before this “dark slump” was similar to the bustle around the Men’s World Cup after the epidemic. Outside of China, everyone always believed that he was the favourite to be the champion, and Fan was also expected to become the next flag bearer for CNT.

But this time, Fan Zhendong took external pressure and transformed it into motivation. “Everyone thinks I’m the favourite, but actually becoming the champion is a completely different matter altogether. This time, I took everyone’s expectations and melded it into the competitive process instead of thinking about what the right mindset was.” 

These 8 months of lull coupled with the test of the World Cup has definitely made Fan Zhendong a lot steadier. Journalists who are familiar with Fan also commented, “Little fatty does not only talk about tactics after his matches anymore, he knows how to say thank you to his supporters, and to view things from a macro perspective.”

Of course, it is thanks to the presence of a strong player like Ma Long that Fan Zhendong’s achievement of four world cup championships can shine so brightly. And this young and old duo has become CNT’s ‘double insurance’ for next year’s men’s singles event at the Tokyo Olympics.

After “Dragon Fatty”, who’s going to deal with Harimoto?

“At the award ceremony, I looked at Harimoto and realised that both of us were leading 3-1 before Ma Long caught up. Ma Long’s overall strength, experience, and ability to control the match situation is the best in the world. In good or bad situations, he always has many ways to secure victory. I have a lot to learn from him. Table tennis is really lucky to have Harimoto to set a benchmark.”

Fan Zhendong said in praise of 32 year old Ma Long - After all, Ma Long nearly grabbed his 25th World Championship and made history. But Fan’s praise also revealed a lurking danger - Japan’s Harimoto is just around the corner, growing from strength to strength.

Even though Ma Long still holds ascendency over Harimoto in head-to-heads, Ma Long also affirmed Harimoto’s improvement this World Cup. “He’s always been improving these couple of years, refining his technique and match performance, in this match, he was very comfortable with my serves and rhythm. I was out of ideas.”

After the match, Ma Long commented that he had relied on his serves and third-ball variations along with a stable mental game to perform a recovery. But Ma Long will definitely come off his peak. Once the Olympics are over, who else, besides Fan Zhendong, can stave off Harimoto who is not even 18 years old?

And while Harimoto is the most recognisable figure amongst CNT’s challengers, there are still many notable players to be weary of, such as Lin Yun-ju, Franziska, and Jeong Yong-sik, who are showing up in pivotal matches more and more frequently.

This is probably a danger that CNT cannot neglect even with the backdrop of securing the podium at the Men’s World Cup.

31 year old Xu Xin is already at the twilight of his career, 25 year old Yin Gaoyuan, 24 year old Liang Jing Kun and 20 year old Wang Chuqin all have made many shining moments, but rarely show up in the finals of major tournaments.

Putting aside the question of whether these players can wrestle the Olympic berth from Fan Zhendong or Ma Long, if placed in the same situation where they are trailing 1-3 to Harimoto, can these young players withstand the pressure just as Ma Long did?

Just as Liu Guoliang said before, Harimoto’s peak will come at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Looking from CNT’s reserve players and their experience at major tournaments, the future of CNT for the next four years remains uncertain…

Against Ito, who will pair with Chen Meng to form the “double insurance”?

“Uncertainty amidst the calm” also exists on the women’s side, but unlike the men’s team, player selection is a bigger problem on the women’s side.

After defeating Sun Yingsha “Ms Open” Chen Meng finally won the first world championship of her professional career. As a player who has been World No.1 for 10 consecutive months, the lack of world titles to her name has always been a thorn in her side.

No wonder Chen Meng could not help but say “I am so thrilled, I finally have a world title, this is only the beginning.”

Just like Fan Zhendong, Chen Meng has been working hard to overcome her psychological barrier - luckily, both Chen Meng and Fan Zhendong’s victories have breathed new life into their careers.

“During this period, I have improved mainly in the mental aspect. Having gained experience, I can now continuously improve myself even during times of doubt. Now that I have won the championship, I can play with even more confidence in the future.”

But thanks to the absence of Liu Shiwen and Ding Ning, this women’s world cup has brought new tensions to the selection process for next year’s singles representatives.

After all, Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen, Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, and Zhu Yuling all have the possibility of securing the single’s ticket for themselves, and they all have difficulties to overcome - Liu Shiwen and Ding Ning are carrying injuries, along with a slip in performance condition, Chen Meng’s performance fluctuates on the big stage. Zhu Yuling and Wang Manyu are too streaky, while Sun Yingsha lacks experience…

And Ito is not resting on her laurels. The player who just turned 20 years old is also continuously improving.

As a challenger, Ito Mima has already demonstrated her desire to win at this World Cup. She came up with new serve and third ball strategies during the lockdown, strategies which dumbfounded Jeon Ji Hee, Chen Siyu and Han Ying.

While it remains to be seen whether her service techniques can topple the many giants of CNT, Ito’s desire to climb to the top can be clearly seen.

Just as she mentioned after her loss, whether Ito wins or loses, she is always looking to learn something from CNT. “Losing can help you gain a lot of experience, but if you lose without learning anything from it, then you won’t know what to do next”

With the conclusion of the World Cup, and the upcoming ITTF grand finals, table tennis is finally getting back on track. The battle leading up to the final showdown at the Tokyo Olympics is heating up. Chen Meng and Fan Zhendong’s victories have not just written new records into CNT’s history books, but has given much food for thought for the future.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Finally got the courage to check out my idol's defeat. Was not disappointed. More or less what she said in the post-match interview. For a 27-year-old to have the EQ of an antsy teenager is pure amazement. I wonder how the folks back home at JTTA feel about it?

The JTTA can wait. The 5ch netizens are already up in arms.

https://mao.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/pingpong/1604985467/345-445
406名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:27:03.89ID:Rm4Q1CyZ
石川さん
今日はちょっとおかしい
この前のワールドカップの時は楽勝だったのに

410名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:34:13.96ID:9Yzm3Eb+
ソヒョウォンを2回倒すだけで2,550p
伊藤が中国人二人を倒したプラチナ優勝よりポイントが稼げるんだから笑いが止まらないだろうな

412名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:36:52.03ID:TSXT2bJP
去年は木原と長崎を倒すだけでポイントをかせいでいたからな

413名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:37:20.25ID:A/vc5qZY
どう見てもメンタルの問題
子どもっぽさが抜けてない

414名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:42:16.35ID:/Jq0Wqa7
さっきからドライブとカットの応酬が続いたら石川は点を取れている
焦らずに繋いで行けば勝てそうなのに
強打を失敗して失点してないか
相手は年寄りなのたから繋いで行ってバテさせたらいいのに

416名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:44:02.98ID:gXcEv9le
ここしばらくカットマンに負けて無かったよな

418名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:45:28.95ID:Rm4Q1CyZ
なんか石川にやる気が感じられなかった
とうせ勝っても中国人には絶対勝てないから負けてもいいや

419名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:45:35.57ID:9Yzm3Eb+
オリンピックシード6番手の危機

420名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:49:33.37ID:/Jq0Wqa7
競っていたのにサーブミス、連続レシーブミス
これで連続3点を失ったのは精神的な弱さだな
サーブミスの1つ前のサーブはとてもいいサーブだったが得点にならなかった
それで動揺したのかもしれない
あのいいサーブが得点に結び付いていたらその後の崩れる場面もなかったと思うからとても残念だった

421名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:53:36.13ID:Rm4Q1CyZ
ああそうか
勝っても次は孫インシャだから
どうせ勝てないと思ってやる気出さなかったのか
あまりに酷い負け方を二度も晒すのは耐えられないからな

422名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 11:55:19.88ID:J9H3YIh8
>>381
リベンジ成功しましたでございますよ
この調子で橋本様も石川に勝ってほしいですわ

423名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2020/11/19(木) 12:08:21.05ID:suWebNFC
お得意さんだったのになんで負けたし
Ishikawa-san
A bit weird today
It was an easy win at the World Cup

Just knock down Suh twice and you can get 2500 pts
Compared to Ito's World Tour Platinum title after defeating 2 Chinese, she could earn more points, and so can’t stop laughing.

Because last year you could gain points by defeating Kihara and Nagasaki

A psychological problem no matter how you see it
Just like a child

Haven't lost to a chopper in a while?

I always feel Ishikawa has no motivation
Even if you win, you can never win against the Chinese, so it doesn’t matter if you lose

The crisis of No. 6 seed for Olympics

Obviously in the game, but made a service error, and made consecutive errors in receiving.
In this case, losing 3 points in a row is a mental weakness.
The previous serve was a good serve but failed to score
Maybe shaken by it
Unfortunately, if you fail to score after that

Ah, is it?
Even if I win, SYS will be next
Do you think you can't win anyway, so you have no motivation?
You can't bear losing so bad twice

>>381
Revenge exacted
I hope Hashimoto-sama can defeat Ishikawa in this state.

You eat her for breakfast. Why did you lose?

Last edited: