Shouldn't Afghanistan be suspended from ITTF ?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It was done for "shared values" братан.
The Federation strongly condemns all violence and expresses its concerns for the safety of all players and all members of the table tennis communities. ITTF resolutely hopes for a swift restoration of peace, reaffirming the unifying power of table tennis.

Newsflash " ITTF has achieved world-peace by smothering the universe with pingpong balls

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023

Israel just killed Ittf official. How should ittf proceed now?

Of course I assume we are all against war & anyone getting killed & wish there was lasting peace & harmony among all humans. And I am deeply sorry that someone in table tennis community died for whatever reason. But I know that sounds very naive What I am saying therefore is that this is not an ITTF or IOC issue. It is a wartime issue between two groups or nations etc. You are comparing apples and oranges
I was talking about a peace time policy of a single given governemnt related to women's rights

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
Precisely.Banning a country's athletes has no effect on their actions,unless it aligns with their political agenda.Its only hurtful for the players.They are athletes, not politicians, not soldiers.
Maybe I should have stated this differently, because either you do not understand or just yanking my chain as most (not all) other posters in this thread have done. Becuase discrediting me for whatever I say is far more important for these posters obviously.
ITTF should follow the same example as the cricket association (ICC).
If any country sends 2 male players for say the Olympic Qualification table tennis tournament (or a major international finals that needs no qualification etc) , they should also send two female players as well. Something like that. Simple as that.
Of course I realize there may be certain reasons a country cannot send equal male and female such as finances or logistics or whatever & exceptions can be made. But women are not allowed to play sport just & only because they are women is not one of those valid acceptable reasons. But this was the reason given by Afghan Government . Also what I am saying is not limited to Afghan government only. There are few other countries that do this.
Maybe this could be the first step before suspending an association and then expel it as final step. Maybe this is what IOC did to Boxing I do not know. And possibly this is what will happen to table tennis before it will be expelled from Olympics to be replaced with pole dancing.
Recently the Indian Government took away the control of TTFI from its eleccted board of directors. ITTF gave the Indian Government a certain date before the Government returned the power back to TTFI elected officials. The Government did. I know this is not an identical situation but I am just giving an example.
I also read some nonsense posted in this thread that ITTF has no voice. But ITTF strongwoman Petra Sorling was recently elected to Olympic council. She may not have lots of influence in IOC but has some to start with, if she cares. She could persuade FIFA etc (I am not saying they will act but she needs to clean house within ITTF first) But based on two other similar situations I read about her related to rights of women's since 2017, I doubt she cares.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Maybe I should have stated this differently, because either you do not understand or just yanking my chain as most (not all) other posters in this thread have done. Becuase discrediting me for whatever I say is far more important for these posters obviously.
ITTF should follow the same example as the cricket association (ICC).
If any country sends 2 male players for say the Olympic Qualification table tennis tournament (or a major international finals that needs no qualification etc) , they should also send two female players as well. Something like that. Simple as that.
Of course I realize there may be certain reasons a country cannot send equal male and female such as finances or logistics or whatever & exceptions can be made. But women are not allowed to play sport just & only because they are women is not one of those valid acceptable reasons. But this was the reason given by Afghan Government . Also what I am saying is not limited to Afghan government only. There are few other countries that do this.
Maybe this could be the first step before suspending an association and then expel it as final step. Maybe this is what IOC did to Boxing I do not know. And possibly this is what will happen to table tennis before it will be expelled from Olympics to be replaced with pole dancing.
Recently the Indian Government took away the control of TTFI from its eleccted board of directors. ITTF gave the Indian Government a certain date before the Government returned the power back to TTFI elected officials. The Government did. I know this is not an identical situation but I am just giving an example.
I also read some nonsense posted in this thread that ITTF has no voice. But ITTF strongwoman Petra Sorling was recently elected to Olympic council. She may not have lots of influence in IOC but has some to start with, if she cares. She could persuade FIFA etc (I am not saying they will act but she needs to clean house within ITTF first) But based on two other similar situations I read about her related to rights of women's since 2017, I doubt she cares.
"there may be certain reasons a country cannot send equal male and female such as finances or logistics or whatever & exceptions can be made. But women are not allowed to play sport just & only because they are women is not one of those valid acceptable reasons. But this was the reason given by Afghan Government" This is disheartening to say the least, however would banning Afghanistan solve anything?If it does and they are pressurized to include female players then great ,but the outcome of a ban would really mean the end of international afghan participation in TT.Honestly speaking,this problem can only be solved over time if the people of the country are willing to be open minded and more rational in their thought process.Similar to when women in certain islamic countries couldnt get a drivers license,but know they can.However just a simple ban wouldnt solve the larger issue of inequality.Women still wouldnt get the chance they deserve.There has to be an alternative solution in my opinion.Also i am not discrediting you for your opinion in fact its a good thing this issue is being discussed on the forum and i do applaud you for that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Firstly, qualification in genders (mens or womens) is based on the players skillset and not if the country wants to send people equally. If you are too lowly rank, even if your country want to send you - you don't qualify to be sent to any qualifications.

Some country also has policies where, if they are not medal hopeful, the country won't send you.
This is against the IOC Olympic spirits, but does IOC or ITTF ban these countries (which is a lot of them)? The answer is no and players has been trying to fight this for decades.

Some countries choose not to take part in various reasons, and some are very extreme where you only see mens and never see womens. Afghan is not the only one in table tennis and you also don't see female swimmers from many countries too.

Each country has there own problems or challenges in terms of equality and ITTF has not really been someone who comes and ban members, in fact, with one Korea, they actually didn't ban the north, but rather tried to unite them. Something that no other sporting federation in the world had manage to do.

As I said, banning of Russia is an IOC initiative starting with doping being driven by the Russian gov.
and then the invasion.
You can't compare this apple vs orange, since it is 2 different things.

and the thing about India - India was inbreach of ITTF constitution when the gov took away the rights of the board. This is the same as USATT last year or was it 2 years ago.
The same applied to some FIFA countries in Africa before (or was it Cricket with ICC).

Gov cannot take over sporting bodies, but Gov can still have a huge influence over the individuals in those bodies and set laws accordingly.
Sport is there to bring unification and peace and is possibly the last part of any sanctioning, since it does hurt people that aren't involved with politics the most.

So, if you ban Afghan from ITTF, are you happy about it and will it work?
Afghan is obviously a very sensitive topic at the moment.