Which foot do you step forward with to flick?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Very important is the weight onto your left foot after point 4.
You can see clearly how she is doing it (for her right foot) in the video above.

I call it half a step, the step use to transfer weight.
If you don't do it, you will struggle to be in balance position early enough and stable enough.

Tony, thank you so much. You are a tremendous gift to this forum and I really appreciate you taking your time to explain this in detail.

I did not know step #4. All my weight goes onto my right foot and the left slides forward weightless. Then I jump out pushing off the right foot. I can play one more ball from there, but the momentum of the jump then carries me further out. And further out is death with short pips.

I will shadow your half a step to put weight back into the left leg. That is completely new to me.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I watched the drill video you posted. Any general advice and tips about how to get back into position quickly after doing a flick?

I find that after I do a flick, I am out of place and vulnerable to any returned shot.

Post # 15 has your answer.
Suggest you read it, then watch the video above again - do it a few times. Then try and do it right now (mirror action).
That number 4 point is the key to get back into position.

FH flick is the same theory/action.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tony, thank you so much. You are a tremendous gift to this forum and I really appreciate you taking your time to explain this in detail.

I did not know step #4. All my weight goes onto my right foot and the left slides forward weightless. Then I jump out pushing off the right foot. I can play one more ball from there, but the momentum of the jump then carries me further out. And further out is death with short pips.

I will shadow your half a step to put weight back into the left leg. That is completely new to me.

Any time and happy to help where I can.

That half step is very important in many footwork movements. I see Euro footwork focus more on shuffle, but Chinese footwork has a lot more half step. Many times the half step and next movement is together, but it is actual 2 steps in 1 movement.
That is why I call it half (because it isn't a step on its own but need to go with another step to be beneficial).

I think once you practice number 4, then you can try going random (fh ball/bh ball etc)
get a feeder to do that, and once you can balance well enough, then going left or right is back to the normal way for you.

Oh and btw, if I give her another short ball after my first ball, she can still come forward to her right feet and do another attack (even though we all think she is moving back - if she is still on the half step, she can push the weight forward again).

That side step needs to be natural movement for you, no matter if the next ball makes you come forward, left or right or back. It will guide you into the next correct step.
So it must be your new best friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
I like backhand flicks, it's now an important part of my game plan. During training we practice a lot of drills just like what Tony posted (BH flick then normal BH) with the little step

Sometimes during match play, I win the point outright if I manage to surprise the opponent, but my coach insists that the movement back to neutral position must be second nature in order to continue the rally.
(This following venue isn't the best with the light wall, but it's not that bad IRL :D)

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Left leg for FH, and both ore none for BH.

Cheers
L-zr

I have been focusing on the left leg for right FH and falling off balance trying it out.

I didn't even read the BH part

"NONE LEG forward for BH"

Please show me how you going to do a short BH flick with no legs going in?
This is going to be interesting

Last edited: