make money playing in europe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
I was wondering, does any of you guys make money playing tt?
I know some players from here and there who go to europe and live playing tt.
I don't think they make much money though, maybe enough to get by.
I'm not talking about ittf top 100 players or anything like that.
just good club players who could maybe play in the second league of germany or uk or france.
any experiences?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
One of the topics that always comes by from time to time :) Of course you can make some money if you are good enough but to make a living out of it is a bit different.. In the 2nd and 3rd league in Germandy there are several players from Eastern Europe who try to make a living out of their tabletennis skills. But it's only possible if you just come here on the weekend to play your matches and live somewhere where the living costs are much less. If you want to live in Germany and make a living just out of TT there is no chance just by playing (unless it's the professionals in 1st league). You can make it if do a lot of stuff apart from playing like working as a coach and so on, then it could be enough but still is no big deal..

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hey, I am currently playing in the top league in Switzerland, I'm ranked top 20 in the uk so not high world ranking or anything. But I make some money playing out there. Not enough to live on but its a help. I just travel for matches at weekends from the uk, so its possible for me to study at university or have a job as well. So it can be a good way to get some extra money :)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think it depends, my friend was lower down in German league maybe 4th div and they gave him 50EU for every match he won. Sometimes the lower graded clubs will pay more money to have higher grade players in their club just to ensure all their matches are won. But really it has to be first div to make a solid living, that or coaching which is how I make enough money to pay my bills and keep training :)

This user has no status.
I think it depends, my friend was lower down in German league maybe 4th div and they gave him 50EU for every match he won. Sometimes the lower graded clubs will pay more money to have higher grade players in their club just to ensure all their matches are won. But really it has to be first div to make a solid living, that or coaching which is how I make enough money to pay my bills and keep training :)

Yes, you're absolutely right! If you are lucky you can find a club in Germany which pays you even 4 or 5000 Euro per year to play in the 4th or 5th division but it's by far not every club. And you have to be so good that you win almost all of your matches in this league :) But even if it is so it is some nice money but far from anything needed to make a living out of it..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012

but unless he comes out of nowhere and says he sucks bad (lie) when they ask him, he shouldn't be allowed to do that.
I mean don't they have individual rankings for players?
like if you are ranked in the 2nd you shouldn't be allowed to play in the 4th.

This user has no status.
but unless he comes out of nowhere and says he sucks bad (lie) when they ask him, he shouldn't be allowed to do that.
I mean don't they have individual rankings for players?
like if you are ranked in the 2nd you shouldn't be allowed to play in the 4th.

No there is no rule that you have to play in a league that fits your playing strength :) Often clubs that got some money from a sponsor or private person and want to step up a few leagues fast get some players to play for them which are much too strong for this league.. For example Teodor Yordanov, Bulgarian national player and around 300-400 world ranking, played in the 5th german league last season. He played something like 40:0 single matches and dropped only a few sets the whole season.
And Adel Massad is probably the best example :D Egyptian national player and played the olympics but played in much lower leagues as he could many times fpr some good money. Some years ago he changed from 2nd german league (where he had really good results) to 8 league cause a club there spend lots of money to move up fast...