where to train in Japan (Tokyo)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Hello,
I hope I put the topic in the correct category (sorry if not)
(also yeah I saw that old post asking a similar question but most of the links that were posted are not working anymore also most answers were like "you can book an hour with a coach here" which I don't want to do)

I just moved to Japan on a two year Student Visa and I would like to play as much table tennis as possible but due to my still very bad Japanese skills and very confusing websites (even if you use translation tools) I can't seem to find many "good" places to go. (preferably in western or central Tokyo as I am located in Suginami Ward on the Chuo line)

I do have two clubs that so training on Saturdays and Sundays where I could go for a reasonable price but I was hoping to find more and maybe even some places and or people to play with after school on weekdays.

Most places I can find online seem to want to sell lessons with coaches which I don't want.
I only want to play with people, I can do my own training sessions if we decide to.

The "best" place I know is this one as its free and you can go there every day whenever you want, but sadly my friend whom I mostly play with doesn't want to go there anymore as he said the people at the reception are really rude and going alone doesn't make sense as I have never seen anyone else playing there when I went there ;( https://maps.app.goo.gl/E5Jb7cYFKLSF9MjWA

I looked at several other community centers and Gymnasiums but they all have really weird websites and I often don't understand it at all like it seems many offer table tennis but often it says something like 3 sunday 11-13 or like you have to reserve the whole place for lots of money or something about a lottery and weird random times sometimes like 10am on Wednesday and such .... Not sure if this is actually the case as it seems the gyms would be unused most of the time but yeah ..

Would be great if there is a Japanese or someone living here for a while who could help me out here on the forums.
Maybe even someone who would like to meet to play.
I am not very strong but I play for 20 years so I am not a beginner anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Hi Youkai.
Good to know you got student visa in Japan.
My son is also on Student Visa there in Tokyo (Soka university).
One of top ranked player from Philippines and he is also looking for someone who can play regularly with.
From what university are you?
Maybe we can communicate via PM for details and schedule some friendy match plays?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
i can play on weekdays, i usually play in Minato Sports Center near JR Tamachi station. Its open almost every day for TT, except when there are tournaments, and except on Tuesday evenings (members only) and a few slots which are booked for groups but its always possible to check the availability on their website

I sometimes go to other places to play with some buddies, for example Chuo Sports Center in Hamacho on Friday evenings, or Shibuya Sports Center near Hatsudai station on Tuesday evenings but I much prefer to play at Minatoku Sports Center as its less than 10 minutes from my home door to door.

Weekdays and even daytime isn't a problem for me as im not a salaryman but an independent worker

PS i am also the manager of a team of gaijin players in Tokyo. always looking for new strong members to play in tournaments !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
i can play on weekdays, i usually play in Minato Sports Center near JR Tamachi station. Its open almost every day for TT, except when there are tournaments, and except on Tuesday evenings (members only) and a few slots which are booked for groups but its always possible to check the availability on their website

I sometimes go to other places to play with some buddies, for example Chuo Sports Center in Hamacho on Friday evenings, or Shibuya Sports Center near Hatsudai station on Tuesday evenings but I much prefer to play at Minatoku Sports Center as its less than 10 minutes from my home door to door.

Weekdays and even daytime isn't a problem for me as im not a salaryman but an independent worker

PS i am also the manager of a team of gaijin players in Tokyo. always looking for new strong members to play in tournaments !
Hi Takkyu,
Hope my son to meet you and the group. Will tell him about Minatoku Sports Center.
Do you have an idea how much it cost for entrance fee?
Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
yeah my friend says the problem with Minatoku is that it's always super crowded and if you have bad luck and loose in the lottery you could possibly have to wait several hours to get to play.

I have been to Shibuya and it was nice even though it took me a little bit to get used to the weird lighting.
if you would be interested like weekdays in the morning I could go to shibuya or if you don't mind taking a train there is no problem with
Kyona Community Center, it's free and every day 9-21 if I am not mistaken ... my friend just doesn't like the staff 😅

This user has no status.
yeah my friend says the problem with Minatoku is that it's always super crowded and if you have bad luck and loose in the lottery you could possibly have to wait several hours to get to play.

I have been to Shibuya and it was nice even though it took me a little bit to get used to the weird lighting.
if you would be interested like weekdays in the morning I could go to shibuya or if you don't mind taking a train there is no problem with
Kyona Community Center, it's free and every day 9-21 if I am not mistaken ... my friend just doesn't like the staff 😅
not several hours, 1 hour. better than some places where there is no system at all, people take tables for hours and you can't play at all.

from my experience Wednesday and Thursday evenings are sometimes crowded when big groups are coming, weekend afternoons are also crowded, but WE evenings are not so crowded, while Monday and Friday evenings can be very calm. its also open daytime and during the week its usually very empty in the morning and afternoon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
not several hours, 1 hour. better than some places where there is no system at all, people take tables for hours and you can't play at all.

from my experience Wednesday and Thursday evenings are sometimes crowded when big groups are coming, weekend afternoons are also crowded, but WE evenings are not so crowded, while Monday and Friday evenings can be very calm. its also open daytime and during the week its usually very empty in the morning and afternoon.
Hi Takkyu,
what is the system of matches like?
If you win the game, you will remain to play again, and again until you lose?

This user has no status.

Great information. I will be in Tokyo this summer and may try my luck with some of these places.

A fun way to make this work trip more interesting by meeting new friends and have a game of Table tennis after work.

This user has no status.
also I mentioned it in other threads already, but there are always many OPEN tournaments going on every week (even on weekdays ) all around Tokyo. anyone can participate, even tourists.

check this site nocha.jp

there is also this site p4match.com which offers round-robin type tournaments with no elimination, so you're guaranteed a fixed number of matches (most often 4 or 5)..

usually you have to register for tournaments about 1 month before.

--
of course for official tournaments you need to register at your local federation for local tournaments, or at JTTA (main federation) and STTA for regional and national tournaments.

Foreigners living in Japan are allowed to play at the JTTA team league level, and allowed to play in the national tournament in Doubles only. the annual JTTA Tokyo Open is also welcoming them.

There is no restriction for STTA, but the level is (up to high-level) amateur , there are no pros there.

This user has no status.
Hi Takkyu,
what is the system of matches like?
If you win the game, you will remain to play again, and again until you lose?
in Hamacho (Chuo Sports Center) yes, you can challenge anyone in best-of-3 games and if you win you stay at the table. This system is in place on Tuesday and Friday evenings in the big hall on B2 (NOT in B1). The level is quite good. Notably the best veteran players of Tokyo all go there. Pips nightmare !

in Minato and other places, you have to play with someone. at Minato-ku if you come alone on Wed+Thur evenings or on WE, there is some staff which would offer to play to someone alone, or would try to find some partner, but the level may not necessarily be matching your level.

Reactions: Jon Yamson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
in Hamacho (Chuo Sports Center) yes, you can challenge anyone in best-of-3 games and if you win you stay at the table. This system is in place on Tuesday and Friday evenings in the big hall on B2 (NOT in B1). The level is quite good. Notably the best veteran players of Tokyo all go there. Pips nightmare !

in Minato and other places, you have to play with someone. at Minato-ku if you come alone on Wed+Thur evenings or on WE, there is some staff which would offer to play to someone alone, or would try to find some partner, but the level may not necessarily be matching your level.
Hi Takkyu,

So which one we can find as many play buddies? Minatoku or Chuo Sports Center?
By your description, Chuo SC got more players and higher level?

This user has no status.
Hi Takkyu,

So which one we can find as many play buddies? Minatoku or Chuo Sports Center?
By your description, Chuo SC got more players and higher level?
No. Chuo sports center system you are sure to find people to challenge and play and there is a lot of high level veteran

In Minatoku it depends on the day. Sometimes there are very high level people coming , even some pros can be seen. But they may not want to play with anybody…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
No. Chuo sports center system you are sure to find people to challenge and play and there is a lot of high level veteran

In Minatoku it depends on the day. Sometimes there are very high level people coming , even some pros can be seen. But they may not want to play with anybody…
Hi Takkyu,

My son is interested to visit Chuo Sports Center Tomorrow.
Are you available? How much is the entrance fee there?
Thanks.

This user has no status.
The system i talked about is only on Tuesday and Fridays in B2 from 6 to 9pm
Entrance is 300 yens
It gets crowded quickly so better to come a bit early

Other days only a smaller room on B1 is available and not so many good players

It’s better to check on the website or call them if you want to be 100% sure

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
The system i talked about is only on Tuesday and Fridays in B2 from 6 to 9pm
Entrance is 300 yens
It gets crowded quickly so better to come a bit early

Other days only a smaller room on B1 is available and not so many good players

It’s better to check on the website or call them if you want to be 100% sure
Oh but is Chuo sports center open on Saturdays?... What's your schedule tomorrow? Where do you plan to play? My son and one para Olympian plans to play there tomorrow afternoon in Chuo Sports Center

Last edited: