Prize Money

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
The most I've won was $50 in the USA... I was at 1700 level... early intermediate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I think i got some vouchers, for the table tennis supplier sponsering the event, for getting to a semi in a 4* consolation - all of £5. I guess if you won the germany or china national champs you would get more than if you won the UK champs - does anyone know how mush they get? just out of interest.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Most I've ever won in a tournament is probly about $80 NZ dollars... lol that aint much at all. Currently in my job as president of my regions table tennis association, I have acquired $1500 to host an elite exhibition tournament. The sport needs money pumped into it at that level so that players feel it is worthwhile for them to treat table tennis as more of a money maker than just a hobby

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I think I disagree slightly. I think money should not be involved. It creates pressure and loss of fun. Other than at the pro level there is not very much money in table tennis. Players cannot make money unless they are national/world class. I really cannot see some travelling up and down a country grinding table tennis tournaments to make a living.

Additionally, most people who are at a certain level where they are competitive at a reasonable high level treat table tennis more than just a “hobby” as they train and play weekly league matches. In a time where time is very precious I think that is quite a commitment.

I agree that it would be nice if there was an injection of capital into table tennis but this should be spent on facilities and other such items.
I will now get off my soap box, sorry.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
In New Zealand a lot of the top players retire early because there is no long term viability left in the sport for them apart from coaching, this has become the reason the sport is such a low standard here. Players come from overseas and play one nationals then retire to coach because that's the only way to get money from the sport. As a result all of our top players are coaches and the upcoming and aspiring players do not have the competition to motivate them to train intensely to win a national title, they play people of a similar standard instead of those almost 'hero' like figures. For example our national coach last year is Weizhong Jiang, former Croatian national team and top 100 in the world and was at one point Wang Liqin's coach, if he played our NZ number one would have to train himself into submission to beat him. But without viable money in the sport he has no incentive to train and play over coaching. That's why I think there needs to be more prize money in the sport :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Honestly, I've won more money playing beer pong.