Timo Boll ALC

This user has no status.
5 out of 5 rating for Timo Boll ALC

I bought my first TBALC in 2009 after I played with Primorac Carbon and Schlager Carbon, played with TB ALC until mid 2011, moved to Sardius, Gergely, and stick with M.Maze ALC in the end of 2011 until 2016. Come Back to TB ALC in mid 2015, 2016 changed with TB ZLC and Viscaria.. and in 2017 ended up with only TB ALC. It is the Third TB ALC I bought, it has quite consistent production through the years, mine now with that pearl at the back handle (The two Previous were the original kind of shield emblem / plate).

I have put a lot of different kinds of rubbers onto this blade for FH and BH, surpisingly it always have good speed, good spin. My Best Setup for this are T05, T80, Evolution ELS and FXS.. those are the best rubbers for this blade in my opinion and trials. Not too heavy and balanced weight with these rubbers.

Chinese Rubbers like Hurricane 350, 8 are good with Forehand but it needs more power and stamina to play.. Chinese rubbers fits better with M.Maze ALC in my opinion, felt softer.

Very good in attacking with loop from both wings, close, and mid distance from table, great in blocking passive or even active, the ball lands short or deep table depends on the opponents attack and my hand. Good also for lobbing from far from table.

The balance of speed and spin TB ALC produced during my shots are my favorite compared to other Butterfly Blades I have owned and used.

TB ZLC has more speed and power but great control with higher throw angle, this suits for mid-far from table loop and Chinese Rubbers are suitable for it. My position mostly close to the table so TB ALC fits better.
Viscaria has a bigger handle, and more weight in the handle. Has quicker rebound, so it is fast but not that spinny, worked well with Bryce Highspeed.

TB ALC is not too fast and hard as Tamca Sardius, Gergely, Primorac..

This is good in serving and receiving for short balls.

I will suggest it for players for has good transitions for attack and defence, play close to mid distance, focus on spin, prefer to hit the ball when it drops to the net or table height with this blade, it has great arc and lands near the lines..

So, try it out :)

2020 Updates:
I use it with Dignics 05 for FH and Tenergy 80 For BH. I loveee this setup.. more psinn, more accurate..

Reactions: TableTennisDaily
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Read 2 reviews

Hi TTD. I would like to talk about the equipment am using and why I selected them..I am using timo boll ALC blade with tenergy 05 rubbers.

I selected timo boll ALC because of the speed and control. It’s a very nice blade and it’s suitable for my style,It had improved my game beyond a reasonable doubt. This is my 3rd carbon wood after using gergely tamca 5000 and kreanga carbon. I have been using it for 2yrs and I would like to say it’s really good,fast and it has a great control.

I recommend it for players who likes to block and loop like timo boll..you can always try it with tenergy 05.

Reactions: BlackRed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
4 out of 5 rating for Timo Boll ALC

Spin is good but, dwell time is less than Butterfly Moonbeam AL(not carbon) blade. Thus, you end up with less spin, faster game. It is like you are wasting half of your energy on full stroke. Your racket move has to be precise. Less forgiving... If your legs are not fast enough, you will struggle a lot.

My other problem with this blade is backhand top spin after fh drive, spin or any fast game. I couldn't be successful on backhand top spin as my Arylate blade. Ball always goes out of the table. I need to close the blade. I tried for 4-5 months and still my game no where near with my BTY Moonbeam. So, I am back to it.

I recommend this blade to the people who needs extra power.

edit: OK guys! This blade is very attracting. I accept the fact that it is really hard to resist to not use this blade when you have already. I will give this blade a chance, even if my game worse than BTY Moonbeam AL

Rubbers used: MX-P, Sanwei Target National, T05, Bluestorm Z2
The first thing I noted when I started playing with this blade is that it does not perform very well in close to the table counter or drive rallies from the bh side. This blade's forte is backing up a little and playing topspins with as much quality as you can. It's also surprising to me that despite the crisp and relatively hard feeling you get, the ability to grab and spin the ball is very strong. Opening up is pretty much effortless and the spin you can generate is very high. Still I would not recommend trying to play hard and agressive with the blade as the ball tends to overshoot when you try doing so and that's not what Butterfly designed the blade to do. You have to go for spin and placement over speed. The gears that this blade has are one of its biggest strengths. Even with MX-P on the bh I was able to push quite short to the table or go for a soft spinny flick off a low push and then follow up with a much stronger shot. Another thing I noticed is that the older ALCs (without the hologram) tend to be a bit faster than the newer ones with the hologram (Similar case with Viscaria). The blade pairs very well with Tenergy and MX-P but the Bluestorm felt a bit too slow. The Target was very good on the forehand but I would not recommend using a very hard or tacky Chinese rubber like Hurricane 2. All in all, if you know how to use it, this blade is one that is very hard to go wrong with.