Point of the tournament, from Open Singles Semi-Final:

Open Singles Quarter-Final - Chance Friend vs Jingwen Hui:

Open Singles Semi-Final - Chance Friend vs Tuan Tran:

Open Singles Final - Timothy Wang vs Chance Friend:

Hope you all enjoy the matches!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Ah ok, well don't worry, I am from VA/NC, so thats pretty far from Texas, and I don't really have any desire to go to a state like Texas....

I am trying to start a team at William & Mary. Virginia Tech which is close is supposed to have a really good team, because they have tons of asians.... haha

Do you know what roughly is your rating in the USTT scale?
Sadly, I am like the best on our soon to be created team, so we will probably get our asses whooped....

says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
Oct 2010
ummmmm... Great tournament :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Ah ok, well don't worry, I am from VA/NC, so thats pretty far from Texas, and I don't really have any desire to go to a state like Texas....

I am trying to start a team at William & Mary. Virginia Tech which is close is supposed to have a really good team, because they have tons of asians.... haha

Sadly, I am like the best on our soon to be created team, so we will probably get our asses whooped....

My USATT rating is 1479. However, I feel I am quite underrated and given a few more tournaments will easily climb into the 1650-1750 area. Our team consists of a 2200, 2100, 1800, and 1600. However, we never make it to nationals despite being ranked in the top 20 because we can never advance through our region, which is where Texas Wesleyan plays... the national champions for many years now.

Good luck with your team making endeavors, and .... what is it that you have against Texas? :confused:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010

In the semis, Tuan is famous for not having a backhand. He's got a monstrous forehand, and that's what makes him so good, but his backhand can hardly keep up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
My USATT rating is 1479. However, I feel I am quite underrated and given a few more tournaments will easily climb into the 1650-1750 area. Our team consists of a 2200, 2100, 1800, and 1600. However, we never make it to nationals despite being ranked in the top 20 because we can never advance through our region, which is where Texas Wesleyan plays... the national champions for many years now.

Good luck with your team making endeavors, and .... what is it that you have against Texas? :confused:

Ah ok, I am probably roughly the same, maybe a little higher. It really depends on who I am playing and their playstyle. I beat like 1700, and 1800s, and I can get to the 5th game in a best out of 5 with our three 2000+ players. But then there will be instances where the player I play against uses some weird style, and has like pips out, and I do badly against them.

I only really started playing semi-regularly at the club last summer, and I only get to do that during the breaks, but I think that if I had more opportunity to play against 2000+ players I can make a big improvement quickly, and become a 2000+ player myself. The problem has always been that the players I tend to get to play usually end up being worse than me and therefore it makes it hard to really make a lot of improvements.

The team I am trying to start, will probably have a few 1400 players and then me.... so I am pretty sure we will get whooped.

Eh, Texas, other than the 3 large cities, seems like a hot sport for racists. The legislation they passed about a year back to change textbooks to kind of erase any language talking about slavery and what not is just appalling. I am pretty left leaning, so Texas as a pretty conservative state never appealed to me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Eh, Texas, other than the 3 large cities, seems like a hot sport for racists. The legislation they passed about a year back to change textbooks to kind of erase any language talking about slavery and what not is just appalling. I am pretty left leaning, so Texas as a pretty conservative state never appealed to me

Woah, haha, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that extreme... at least I don't think so. I kind of forgot what they were taking out actually, but there was something being changed about the way American History was going to be taught, placing more emphasis on certain historical characters over others, but I don't remember anything about not talking about slavery. But all in all, fair enough.

Also, I'm confused, the 3 large cities? I take that to be Houston.. then DFW, then San Antonio... which are all conservative. Ironically, by your definition, you seem to have left out Austin, the fourth largest city... which happens to be quite liberal. Funny since it's the capital.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Ah ok, I am probably roughly the same, maybe a little higher. It really depends on who I am playing and their playstyle. I beat like 1700, and 1800s, and I can get to the 5th game in a best out of 5 with our three 2000+ players. But then there will be instances where the player I play against uses some weird style, and has like pips out, and I do badly against them.

I only really started playing semi-regularly at the club last summer, and I only get to do that during the breaks, but I think that if I had more opportunity to play against 2000+ players I can make a big improvement quickly, and become a 2000+ player myself. The problem has always been that the players I tend to get to play usually end up being worse than me and therefore it makes it hard to really make a lot of improvements.

The team I am trying to start, will probably have a few 1400 players and then me.... so I am pretty sure we will get whooped.

Well, it's not hopeless. If there are enough schools in your region, two schools get to go instead of one. Unfortunately, we never have enough in our region. On the bright side, you all probably still have a better chance of beating VA Tech than us beating Wesleyan. Also, you could try and get a girls team going. Our women's team finished 5th this year, they got to go to nationals on a wildcard since wesleyan beat us out there too.

Also, there's the singles event where 8 players qualify from each region... so you could also aim for that. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Woah, haha, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that extreme... at least I don't think so. I kind of forgot what they were taking out actually, but there was something being changed about the way American History was going to be taught, placing more emphasis on certain historical characters over others, but I don't remember anything about not talking about slavery. But all in all, fair enough.

Also, I'm confused, the 3 large cities? I take that to be Houston.. then DFW, then San Antonio... which are all conservative. Ironically, by your definition, you seem to have left out Austin, the fourth largest city... which happens to be quite liberal. Funny since it's the capital.

oh, well I just assumed that because they were big cities, and big cities tend to be more liberal, that the big cities in Texas would be a little better, but if they mostly are conservative like you say, even more reason not to like texas.... hah

How do you do against the 2000+ players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Erm, I've heard ratings from coast to coast, state to state, divulge greatly. But solid 2000+ players usually won't drop more than a game at most to me. Anything under 2000 and I'd say I have a reasonable chance at an upset. I guess that includes people who fluctuate in and out of being 2000+. Also, like you said, certain styles really just mess everything up... so there's always that. Let's say they happen to play a style I am comfortable with, then I can come close to a player around 2000.