World Cup 2024

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
from my understanding, the current lot of NZ national players self fund to travel.
Durban WTTC, the players self funded for example.
Doex TTNZ/NZOC cover any costs for Oceania, Commonwealth, or internationals?
They don’t cover anything. I probably paid something like $20,000usd for tournaments in my short international career and ultimately decided it wasn’t the go for me lol

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think players in most countries fund themselves for these tournaments. China is the only one that pays everything for the players and the players get paid with salaries as well.
No most national associations do fund events across Europe and even Brazil, Argentina etc other players get funding from their brand sponsors for WTT etc also.

I would say most national teams fund team events too like usa cover costs for world championships etc.

But for players lower on national team or for really small tt nations then they have to fund almost 100% themselves

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think players in most countries fund themselves for these tournaments. China is the only one that pays everything for the players and the players get paid with salaries as well.
China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea all have national funding for main players to part take in these many international events.

I was told by national team coaches about an European country, which I won't name, that they only have fully funding for 2 events a year, and the rest are also self funded. Normally world champs are fully funded by tier 1 countries.

So, each country could be very different and it also depends where the money comes from.
ie, is it the table tennis federation, olympic body, educational/sport department, etc.
For Japan's build up to Tokyo 2020, there was 3 bodies that funded 15 juniors for 8 years to "get them to win medals" for Tokyo OG.

Reactions: NextLevel
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
So how do you feel about the ridiculous group stage matches? 4 games. Yes. A match can end in a 2-2 draw.

Have you ever seen in any racket sport a match end in a draw.

I can’t even comprehend the thought that this might be a good idea, and to try it for the world cup? It’s basically being used as a guinea pig now.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So how do you feel about the ridiculous group stage matches? 4 games. Yes. A match can end in a 2-2 draw.

I can’t even comprehend the thought that this might be a good idea, and to try it for the world cup? It’s basically being used as a guinea pig now.
Where the link?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

It sounds like with only one player qualifying, they are trying out a format where a 4-0 win is more impactful than a 3-1 win etc. Not sure whether this is the right event but I think it is an interesting scoring system that just beating other players isn't as critical as margin of victory as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
All these players in the WTT feeder Dusseldorf will have to rush to Macao to play the world cup. Not much time for zone change, rest, and practice before the match. And the CNT players probably have been there a couple of days getting familiar with everything.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It sounds like with only one player qualifying, they are trying out a format where a 4-0 win is more impactful than a 3-1 win etc. Not sure whether this is the right event but I think it is an interesting scoring system that just beating other players isn't as critical as margin of victory as well.
They could just do best of 5 where player wins 3 points for 3-0, 2 points for 3-1 and 1 point for 3-2 or something. The idea of a match ending in a draw is just silly to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
They could just do best of 5 where player wins 3 points for 3-0, 2 points for 3-1 and 1 point for 3-2 or something. The idea of a match ending in a draw is just silly to me.
I guess maybe this way they save time. Maybe it was as an alternative to not eliminating deuce points. The draw thing might just bring a new feeling to TT, but I know a league that played something like this in Pittsburgh, maybe that is why I am not yet nauseated.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
1713079995324.png