World Cup 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I guess you dont know these definitions.

To me you get three types of fans
One for the sport, one for the players and then extremely hard core fans, which at the moment I have only ever seen those that fly out of China to visit so many world events, probably visit more events than some of the players that we know of, that has more limited resources to play internationals (self funded).

Since you so clever, these fan boys and girls might not even be in the hall when no Chinese are playing. There are there for a reason and there isn’t any agenda but just from what I saw to what I type here. Even Chinese people know this and they even say these “fans” don’t even play TT.

I have seen fans from the local community and these hardcore fan boys and girls.
Somehow, the local community fans probably also don't play tt and were call out from local Chinese embassies to show support in numbers.
They are also color coded in a way, most of the time wearing red and have all the "fan" resources provided for them.
I have not really seen any other country having such "fan" support structure or the calling of non TT population out from gov departments to support a traveling team.
There come for the Chinese matches and gone again, and back again for Chinese matches.
maybe this is normal to you, but I don't see this as normal, it is quite extreme to be honest
There are plenty of fans of all sorts of sports who'd travel to see their favorite team/player and not play the sport. That it doesn't happen often in TT is more a testament of the limited fanbase for TT outside of China than anything else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
There are plenty of fans of all sorts of sports who'd travel to see their favorite team/player and not play the sport. That it doesn't happen often in TT is more a testament of the limited fanbase for TT outside of China than anything else.
Like I said, I have never seen a sport where gov organizations basically rally up these spectators.
you normally see these kind of actions during voting season.

I have seen local Asian community leaders, inviting the visiting delegation for meals, or even doing some siteseeing, and very few people do show up during these tournaments.
I have seen for example, Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese.
I have never really seen those from European or other western countries.
IE, in Durban 2023, you don't see the American population or German population in South Africa coming and taking Team USA or Team Germany out for a meal. But the Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese is considered normal, so this could be an Asian thing.

But as I said (again), China's spectator based structure is far from normal in any sporting codes that I follow. So many non TT people rock up locally too, and I doubt all of them even know who the players are beforehand.
As I said again and again, from my eyes to me typing it out.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ben is Chinese,
he can confirm or not, if Chinese fan's themselves see what I am talking about.
you get those hardcore ones that don't play TT and follow they idol (like in many sports)
Then you get those hardcore ones that don't play TT and don't follow TT stars, but still come out in the masses to support.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
poster boy?
Ma Long also got a special trophy in Durban 2023.
That trophy wasn't there when the trophy was announced before the tournament started
I'd say he deserves special treatment for what he's accomplished. I'm just wondering if there are rules for who gets to use the arena PA. Could I just go up and use it to lead cheers for the Mukherjee sisters if I said I was their official fan club representative or something?

• Haha
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Semifinal at the first ever World Cup outing for Miwa in what was supposed to be a R16 exit on paper. Not bad at all.
Harimoto follows in Fukuhara's footsteps at World Cup 2005. Her bronze medal has higher gold content than Ishikawa's bronze at World Cup 2014 and silver at World Cup 2015 and Ito's bronze at World Cup 2020.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-be-revamped-for-paris-2024.24977/post-441115
Fukuhara
World Cup 2005 - Bronze (3-4th 4-1 Tie Ya Na, SF 3-2 -> 3-4 Guo Yan)

World Cup 2006 - QF (0-4 Tie Ya Na)
World Cup 2007 - Lost in Grp
World Cup 2009 - Lost in Grp (4-2 Li Xiaoxia but was edged out in 3-way tie by Liu Jia)
World Cup 2010 - QF (1-4 Guo Yan)
World Cup 2011 - Lost in Grp
World Cup 2012 - Qualified but didn't take part due to political issue
World Cup 2013 - QF (1-4 Wu Yang)
World Cup 2015 - QF (3-4 Petrissa Solja)
Ishikawa
World Cup 2011 - Lost in Grp
World Cup 2012 - Qualified but didn't take part due to political issue
World Cup 2013 - QF (3-4 Feng Tianwei)
World Cup 2014 - Bronze (3-4th 4-3 Georgina Pota, SF 2-4 Ding Ning)
World Cup 2015 - Silver (F 0-4 Liu Shiwen, SF 4-2 Li Jiao, QF Zhu Yuling 1-3 -> 2-4 Li Jiao) IIRC, Li Jiao complained about the scheduling.
World Cup 2017 - R16 (3-4 Lee Ho Ching)
World Cup 2018 - 4th (3-4th 1-4 Cheng I-Ching, SF 0-4 Ding Ning)
World Cup 2019 - QF (3-2 -> 3-4 Feng Tianwei)
Hirano
World Cup 2016 - Gold (F 4-0 Cheng I-Ching, SF 4-2 Feng Tianwei, QF 4-1 Ito, R16 4-2 Samara)

World Cup 2017 - 4th (3-4th 2-4 Cheng I-Ching, SF 0-4 Liu Shiwen)
World Cup 2018 - QF (1-4 Ishikawa)
World Cup 2019 - R16 (3-4 Lily Zhang)
World Cup 2024 - QF (0-4 Chen Meng)
Hayata
World Cup 2024 - ?
Ito
World Cup 2016 - QF (1-4 Hirano)
World Cup 2020 - Bronze
World Cup 2024 - Grp (2-2 Sawettabut, 2-2 Amy Wang)
Harimoto
World Cup 2024 - At least SF (QF 4-1 Wang Yidi)

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Hirano's forearm wrapped in bandage is indicative. Will need to check out the interviews.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Yo @zeio , you've been arguing some time now that Hirano should be regarded as the JNT's ace for defeating team China and girls like Hayata should step aside. How exactly does that work when she's out there getting swept 0-4 by CM who Hayata handled 3-1 just a few weeks ago?

If your argument is that one bad match isn't an indicative sample size then I'd agree with you. In fact we shouldn't draw conclusions and write off players after several bad matches, because (1) that's actually not how sports tend to play out and (2) it's just poor manners being so unsympathetic to players for losing. In the same way, we can't draw grand conclusions based on a few good matches in 2017 or last year.

Actually, you're free to draw whatever conclusions you please, just be aware that when you're doing it in such an insufferable and cock-sure way, that some people are going to call you out on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Players moral have been low for a while now. i hope more players speak up and more tt fans show support for the unfairness.
Without healthy player structures, there wont be tournaments and then you see forum members asking, why players aren't being pro about it and finishing off some pointless games left in a match.
Motivation requires moral

53B678D7-D318-40E5-98A6-E5C0FC8ACCCB.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 2018