Advice need for new blade splintering problem

This user has no status.
Hi all, my post here, though I've been lurking around for a while. :p

I hope you can help me out here with your experience in these matters.

I just bought an Eternity VPS V online, and it came with parts of the edge splintered. Aside from one tiny area, I don't see any more lifting anywhere else along the blade.

IMG_9326.jpgIMG_9330.jpgIMG_9331.jpg

I would think that it should be safe enough to use wood filler to fill the gaps, sand flat and perhaps the seal the sides at the very least and the blade should still be good to go. Am I wrong in thinking this? Or is there something else that I missed?

For anyone wondering why I'm not returning the blade (I did inform them of it though):

1. I expect it to drag out for another month or two and I don't have the patience to deal with that. No scrubs man.
  2. They said it must have been damaged during shipping, which shouldn't the case as the blade was packed fairly well and the box is in good condition. They offered me a $10 refund, which I thought was cute. To be fair I haven't shown them pics of the box in good condition yet. Not sure if it will end up with a proper exchange in a timely manner anyway.
  3. For the reasons above plus I think it should not affect the lifespan and performance of the blade, so I dont wanna go chasing waterfalls...

Many thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Just accurately use some PVA adhesive(white glue) to glue it, and after dry - use sand paper to make flat that piece of head.
After that my advice is varnish the blade with wood laquer because top layer of that blade is very fragile.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would send that back. If that is a brand new blade, that is not how a brand new blade should look. It is true that it won't effect the play of the blade significantly. But that is messed up for a brand new blade to show up like that. In my opinion, you should send that back and get what you paid for. They should also be shown the photos. you were talking about. The box it came in and the blade.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
If there's anything wrong with it when it arrives, who knows what else is wrong with it that you can't see.

Send it back and get a brand new, quality controlled one. You can probably safely play with this one, but it's a bit insulting to pay good money for something and have it arrive damaged.

Just be polite and get a new one. The damage on their image that bad customer reviews causes is probably enough for them to happily give you a new one.

Also, if they're dumb and stubborn and with all the evidence will still not give you a new one, then you can just fix it up and don't buy from them again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Carl: I agree with you say about the principle of the matter. I'm still keeping my options open and will be sending them pics of the box (I've already sent the other pics earlier). Will leave the ball in their court and see how they respond. Hopefully there will be a positive resolution.

Archosaurus: That's the part that gets me; I'm not sure if there's any way to tell, regardless of whether or not it came in perfect condition, if there was any other major problem. I think the only thing I'm worried about is, what are the odds that the outer ply will delaminate? I would think the chipping would have no bearing on it, right?

I guess a part of me wants them to do it the right way and send me a replacement as a matter of principle, but the trouble is, I'm liking everything else about this blade: the weight, the balance, the resonance and surprisingly for a Stiga the veneers are actually straight and not a mess of crooked lines :p haha

But thanks to everyone who have advised and sympathised with me on this, your words have been helpful indeed!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Look, let me explain this simply. You ordered a product. You ordered it new. You paid for it. You received a damaged product. It was not your fault the product was damaged. It also did not happen in shipping. If it did, you still should be able to return it.

You have a racket already. I get the impatience that makes you want to use the new one right now in spite of the fact that it arrived damaged. If you had done the damage yourself, if you had earned the damage by accidentally slamming the blade into the side of the table or something, that would be totally different. If that was the case I would tell you to just ignore it and play. You don't hit there. I also would not fix it quite the way you are thinking. But you received your brand new blade damaged.

It does not matter how it happened. You should not have to pay for a new product and receive a damaged product. I would follow all the steps to getting this blade replaced. If you have to contact Stiga about it and explain how you feel the store delivering a damaged blade to you is making you feel negatively about Stiga's products, so be it. But you should not just accept that you paid for one thing and got something else.

By the way, the thing Stiga is famous for is not things like the plies of the blades not lining up right. The thing Stiga is famous for is making blades that feel very nice but BREAK REALLY EASILY. I used to love Stiga blades. They really do make blades that feel great. But I got tired of how easily they break and how poor the finishing and the quality control is. Part of why they feel good though has to do with how delicate the blades are. And to me, some of the best products that Stiga makes are older blades that are pretty inexpensive but quite good. And invariably they cost much less than any of the newer Stiga products.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgavE
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
By the way, the thing Stiga is famous for is not things like the plies of the blades not lining up right. The thing Stiga is famous for is making blades that feel very nice but BREAK REALLY EASILY. I used to love Stiga blades. They really do make blades that feel great. But I got tired of how easily they break and how poor the finishing and the quality control is. Part of why they feel good though has to do with how delicate the blades are. And to me, some of the best products that Stiga makes are older blades that are pretty inexpensive but quite good. And invariably they cost much less than any of the newer Stiga products.
You didn't have a China stiga, i've already have some clipper cr from China - wonderful product - very smooth finishing, very well for playing. But it cost some more expensive (for example China Infinity VPS5 cost about 120Euro instead 45 off european version).
My advice to TS, think yourself. If you want to play - then play, make a repair and use it for your satisfaction.
if you don't want to play with it - return in to the seller and get your money back.
PS: and tell us at least - www of this seller ;-)

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I would send that back. If that is a brand new blade, that is not how a brand new blade should look. It is true that it won't effect the play of the blade significantly. But that is messed up for a brand new blade to show up like that. In my opinion, you should send that back and get what you paid for. They should also be shown the photos. you were talking about. The box it came in and the blade.

Absolutely. Don't take it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You didn't have a China stiga, i've already have some clipper cr from China - wonderful product - very smooth finishing, very well for playing. But it cost some more expensive (for example China Infinity VPS5 cost about 120Euro instead 45 off european version).
My advice to TS, think yourself. If you want to play - then play, make a repair and use it for your satisfaction.
if you don't want to play with it - return in to the seller and get your money back.
PS: and tell us at least - www of this seller ;-)

Would you mind telling what is China Stiga? As far as I know there is only one factory of stiga. Do you mean stiga for chinese market has better quality then for EU market like butterfly products i.e. famous Petr Korbel?
As for Infinity there are 2 versions usual and FZD version which cost around 100 + eur. but this is the only one blade I know.

This user has no status.
Sorry all for the dropoff, been rather busy of late, and thanks for the taking the time to advise me; very much appreciated!

Archosaurus: LOL i know right? you took the words right out of my mouth...

Woodblade: Good suggestion, unfortunately I didnt consider that at the beginning and I dont think i handled the box properly. Long story short, I didnt find any splinters, and it was too late to try and scour the floor for them. So that will remain a mystery... &shrug

UpSideDownCarl: I wasnt expecting such a passionate response Carl, and neither was i wanting to push strongly for a return but your words have changed my mind. Thank you. Yes I'm aware that their reputation for was for blades delaminating and stuff like that, which i attribute to poor workmanship / poor adherence to work procedures / poor execution of technique /poor QC (which explains the poor veneer work as well). But as you said, I love the way they feel, and thats why i'm willing to take some risk. An OSP is not too far away...

AgavE: you, know i think even knockoffs have better finishing than stiga. my friend knowingly bought a couple of fake ALCs and ZLCs for a lark, but we were surprised at how well they were made when you consider the price. Anyway I've emailed them back to tell them that offer is unacceptable and explained the box situation. I believe in giving them the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to make good. Once this is concluded and the facts are all out, i'll reveal the name. This is just in case it's just a misunderstanding. I dont want to blow things out of proportion.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Would you mind telling what is China Stiga? As far as I know there is only one factory of stiga. Do you mean stiga for chinese market has better quality then for EU market like butterfly products i.e. famous Petr Korbel?
As for Infinity there are 2 versions usual and FZD version which cost around 100 + eur. but this is the only one blade I know.
Yes, it's a Stiga blade made for China market - i saw - rosewood, ebenholz, clipper, etc. I've played with Clipper CR non WRB. As i said - wonderful product.
I'll try to find a pictures i made some time ago...

Here it is:
http://ttw.ru/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20102

guess where is EU Stiga and China market Stiga?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
AgavE: you, know i think even knockoffs have better finishing than stiga. my friend knowingly bought a couple of fake ALCs and ZLCs for a lark, but we were surprised at how well they were made when you consider the price. Anyway I've emailed them back to tell them that offer is unacceptable and explained the box situation. I believe in giving them the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to make good. Once this is concluded and the facts are all out, i'll reveal the name. This is just in case it's just a misunderstanding. I dont want to blow things out of proportion.
Fake blade is a fake blade ;-(
Glad to hear that you made a decision to return it to the seller, good luck to you with it.
Pitty, that you don't want to tell us about seller ;-) but it's ok.