Advice please: 7-ply all-wood blade for my son

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive 7-ply Wood. It has the wood feelin and yet still give enough ommph! power.

p/s My club-mate defacto blade for many years and I have got chance to play with it on and off. He paired it with Rakza X & 7 Fh & BH respectively.
I think Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive has 5-ply. The Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Special has 7-ply.

Reactions: MK73
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hi All,

I'm planning to get a 7-ply all-wood blade as a gift for my son and would be grateful for some advice please.

He currently plays with a Xiom Offensive S and is looking for a step up from that in power, but he doesn't like the feel of blades with any synthetic fibres (eg. carbon, ALC, etc.). So, a 7-ply all-wood it needs to be.

I've read lots of reviews and have shortlisted these five:
  1. Butterfly Korbel SK7
  2. Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro (Blue)
  3. Tibhar Dynamic J7
  4. Yasaka Falck W7
  5. Joola Xylo 7
Questions:
  1. Based on the reviews I've read, it sounds to me like (1) and (2) above are pretty much the same blade under different brand names and, likewise, that (3) and (4) above are also very similar. Is this accurate?
  2. The Xylo 7 is the one that might be different to the other four in that, based on reviews, it seems more powerful. Is this true? I've ruled out the Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition because I think it'll be too powerful, so if the Xylo 7 is as fast as the SFPBE then that would also rule it out.
More generally, if anybody has played with more than one of these it would be great to hear how they compare. Also, it would be really helpful if anyone can comment on handle-sizes (in 'straight' or 'anatomical' shape) as my son has big hands. I've heard the Samsonov Force Pro Blue has a small/thin handle - if that's true then that rules it out.

Thanks in advance!
try the donic ovtchrov senso v1, cannot go wrong with it, tyr to get the lightest one tho, also what rubbers is your son using? or planning to buy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have both SAmsonov, Blue and Black and find them equally fast. They differ in feeling - the black being stiffer/harder and the blue is easier to spin the ball with. Both have pretty big handles.
Persson Powerplay is quite popular among the advancing kids around here
This old thread was resurrected.

About these. I have a Samsonov Pro Blue (penhold) and Samsonov Pro Black (shakehand) because I used to play penhold. I agree. Both are good choices. Samsonov Pro Black feels "harder" or "more substantial" than blue. So I agree. Black is stiffer/harder and blue is softer ad easier to spin. Both have big handles.

So I actually like Tibhar Stratus Power Wood over those two Samsonov Pro Blue and Pro Black. I can feel the ball better with Stratus Power Wood. However it is 5-ply, not 7-ply.

I just recently installed two rubbers on Persson Powerplay. I have yet used it in club yet. It is on my project this coming week to try it. Apparently my club coach played with it growing up and he really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
This old thread was resurrected.

About these. I have a Samsonov Pro Blue (penhold) and Samsonov Pro Black (shakehand) because I used to play penhold. I agree. Both are good choices. Samsonov Pro Black feels "harder" or "more substantial" than blue. So I agree. Black is stiffer/harder and blue is softer ad easier to spin. Both have big handles.

So I actually like Tibhar Stratus Power Wood over those two Samsonov Pro Blue and Pro Black. I can feel the ball better with Stratus Power Wood. However it is 5-ply, not 7-ply.

I just recently installed two rubbers on Persson Powerplay. I have yet used it in club yet. It is on my project this coming week to try it. Apparently my club coach played with it growing up and he really enjoyed it.
I haven't tried Stratus Power myself, but we have two players in our club using it. Both guys deliver rocket balls, meanwhile being veeery, very spinny. They seem to be in love with this wood.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I haven't tried Stratus Power myself, but we have two players in our club using it. Both guys deliver rocket balls, meanwhile being veeery, very spinny. They seem to be in love with this wood.
Stratus Power Wood.jpeg

When I said I owned six of them (Tibhar Stratus Power Wood), apparently I lied. I just looked. I own 8 of them. One has Tenergy 05 fx and Tenergy 64 fx on the blade; I use it once in a while to remind me how I still cannot control Tenergy and it is ok. My main blade has my Sanwei Target National and G-1. My fool around blade has Rakza 7 on one side and cheap Friendship long pips on the ohter side (by the way, chopping with this blade is pretty easy too; the blade does it all). Finally one has short pips that I have yet to experiment. Three were stripped of rubbers and those rubbers have been boosted and transferred to other blades that I am testing right now (Donic Persson Powerplay, Gambler Dragon Fire Hinoki carbon, Neottec Amagi OFF-, etc.). One blade still new, not opened.

It is really hard for me to explain the feel of the blade. Like your two club mates, I am a die hard fan for this blade. It is slow but yet fast. You can flat hit or spin the heck out of the ball. One side is H3 neo or HTN and the other side is G-1, an ESN. But yet I have no trouble controlling both sides of rubber. I should shut up now.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Kolev and BaRanchik
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I admit I am also a member of the owns-too-many-SPW club, I have bought 4 of them so far but have only 3 at the moment. I sold one, it was a bit too heavy at 93g but it felt very nice with a dense and powerful feeling, harder and crisper than my other ones. I currently have an 87g one as a spare, an 88g as my main and a 91g for my backup

• Love
Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
I think Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive has 5-ply. The Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Special has 7-ply.
Correct extra offensive 5 ply and extra special is 7 ply
I have old Korbel and still an active blade but I ordered extra special and its on the way :)
Usually my FH V22 and BH G1 but on ML ES i will use on my BH Donic S2 max.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A note for the Necromancers on the forum.

As long as you know that this thread was first posted in August of 2022, and has been brought back from the dead a few times, and therefore the OP has probably found a suitable blade for his son....as long as you know you are just posting to post and have an opinion, then, have at it.

I have three (3) recommended blades!
1. Clipper
2. Clipper
3. Clipper

You can not go wrong with this blade.

C L I P P E R
and yet Your profile says "Viscaria light"...

Cheers
L-zr

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I have three (3) recommended blades!
1. Clipper
2. Clipper
3. Clipper

You can not go wrong with this blade.

C L I P P E R
In the words of Henry Ford, " You can have any colours on your T-Ford as long as it is black "

Similarly, you can use any seven ply wood as long as it is a Clipper.

• Haha
Reactions: Loop Lob Smash
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I ended up getting him a Butterfly Korbel SK7 and it's turned out to be a good fit. I can't say whether or not other options might've been better, as the only other 7-ply I've been able to try is the Avalox P700.

A few brief thoughts:
  • Between the SK7 and the P700, the SK7 feels more naturally suited to a more 'direct' attacking game, and the 'woodier' feel of the P700 feels better suited to a more varied/all-round game. Both are nice to play with, and I could get used to either one pretty easily.
  • The SK7 is not a small step up from the Xiom Offensive S, it's a big step. This probably is largely to do with the fact that the Xiom Offensive S is 84g, whereas the SK7 is 93g.
  • The SK7 offers no less 'clout' than most inner-type carbon blades that I've tried. I don't think there's any meaningful difference in the power of shot that can be produced with one or the other—it's just a subjective matter of which feels nicer to play with.
  • I don't have enough experience with outer-type carbon blades to make a comparison.
  • One blade I would still like to try sometime is the Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro (Blue), as I've heard that it feels in-between the SK7 and most regular 5-ply blades (like the 5-ply Korbel).
At this stage he's happy with the SK7, I'm happy that he's happy, so all's good!

Thanks again to all for the advice back when I was choosing (y)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Played a xiom offensiv s which sadly broke. I dont like the new offensiv s handle.
So im searching for a new blade. Korbel handle is to thin. What you guys thinking about tibhar stratus powerwood? And how is it compared to a 7 ply blade like fextra or maybe the bs1? Ty

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I ended up getting him a Butterfly Korbel SK7 and it's turned out to be a good fit. I can't say whether or not other options might've been better, as the only other 7-ply I've been able to try is the Avalox P700.

A few brief thoughts:
  • Between the SK7 and the P700, the SK7 feels more naturally suited to a more 'direct' attacking game, and the 'woodier' feel of the P700 feels better suited to a more varied/all-round game. Both are nice to play with, and I could get used to either one pretty easily.
  • The SK7 is not a small step up from the Xiom Offensive S, it's a big step. This probably is largely to do with the fact that the Xiom Offensive S is 84g, whereas the SK7 is 93g.
  • The SK7 offers no less 'clout' than most inner-type carbon blades that I've tried. I don't think there's any meaningful difference in the power of shot that can be produced with one or the other—it's just a subjective matter of which feels nicer to play with.
  • I don't have enough experience with outer-type carbon blades to make a comparison.
  • One blade I would still like to try sometime is the Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro (Blue), as I've heard that it feels in-between the SK7 and most regular 5-ply blades (like the 5-ply Korbel).
At this stage he's happy with the SK7, I'm happy that he's happy, so all's good!

Thanks again to all for the advice back when I was choosing (y)
I have a club mate with SK7. I helped him install two boosted hurricane rubber on it. It is amazing!

Personally, if your son likes SK7, then no need to try Clipper, Stratus Power Wood or Samsonov Force Pro (Blue or Black).

The next step up would be inner carbon or outer carbon blade. But many many semi-pro players still use 5-ply or 7-ply woods. They just install faster rubbers on them.

I have been infected with the EJ virus. I hope you and your son do not get infected! :)

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
The best 7 ply blade I've ever played and will continue to defend it with my life is the original stiga clipper wood.

Fast, control, feeling, pairs up with all rubbers. Good weight, handle, quality is ok but it sealing doesn't hurt, and its sheer versatility is incredible. Soft, hard, Euro, Chinese, hybrids, short pips, whatever you put on it, it plays perfectly.

The avalox p700 is a higher quality version of it. But the clipper plays better, don't know why, clipper lighter too.

There's nothing like it.