Advise needed: New Blade and Rubbers for an amateur

says Thank you for the great info! I really appreciate it!!!
Jul 2019
[FONT=&quot]Hello, I'm amateur player who can hold up decently on the basement level at work, win a little bit more then lose. I recently started taking couple lessons a month in the group setting thought by Chinese coaches and I'm getting better (at least my posture and some of my technique is improving, people at work did notice). I really enjoy the game, have dissent reaction but not extremely light on my feet just OK . I mostly play close to the table or mid range. I feel that I all round player but really like FH topspin attack as well as some BH attack besides spinning and looping. I currently have GAMBLER PRO COMPETITOR WITH WING WOOD BLADE AND BIG GUN but even though I do have some powerful shot I'm not very accurate (sometimes it's just too much power) and having problems with placement control. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I did some research and want to assemble my own bat and don't want to spend hundres of $$ but still want quality first.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please look a look at my possible set up as: blade Andro Kinetic Record (ALL+) with 729 729-08ES - Red 2.1 for BH and Sanwei Target National - Black Max for FH. Whole set up is under $90 including assembly, blade sealing and side tape ( I'm planning to use Megaspin.net most likely)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is it good or would you recommend something better for control, spin and speed? Should I go better with the same blade but as OFF-? I also looking to get Anatomic handle. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you very much[/FONT]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Hmmmmm, I've heard that the Sanwei Target National is quite fast, don't know if you should be getting it this early on, I use DHS Hurricane 3 NEO and it's been fine for me from the beginning, maybe try that.
For the BH I personally recommend Yasaka Mark V, to me it seems like a good rubber to learn what you like, after you give it a try you might want harder or softer sponge, more or less power, tackiness or grip.It helped me develop technique, though maybe it's a bit slow for today's standards...
I don't know anything about the Andro Kinetic Record, maybe give it a try see if you like it. I say you should stick to something more conventional like a Butterfly Primorac, Yasaka Sweden Extra or a Stiga Offensive Classic, they'll give you good feel and control and there's a lot more discussion you can look at to see where to go from there on these forums as many started with those blades.
I prefer TableTennis11, they have way better prices...
Primorac is $73 at megaspin while it's just $41.54 at tabletennis11, you'll save like $10 on the YSE aswell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This user has no status.
Hello, I'm amateur player who can hold up decently on the basement level at work, win a little bit more then lose. I recently started taking couple lessons a month in the group setting thought by Chinese coaches and I'm getting better (at least my posture and some of my technique is improving, people at work did notice). I really enjoy the game, have dissent reaction but not extremely light on my feet just OK . I mostly play close to the table or mid range. I feel that I all round player but really like FH topspin attack as well as some BH attack besides spinning and looping. I currently have GAMBLER PRO COMPETITOR WITH WING WOOD BLADE AND BIG GUN but even though I do have some powerful shot I'm not very accurate (sometimes it's just too much power) and having problems with placement control.
I did some research and want to assemble my own bat and don't want to spend hundres of $$ but still want quality first.
Please look a look at my possible set up as: blade Andro Kinetic Record (ALL+) with 729 729-08ES - Red 2.1 for BH and Sanwei Target National - Black Max for FH. Whole set up is under $90 including assembly, blade sealing and side tape ( I'm planning to use Megaspin.net most likely)
Is it good or would you recommend something better for control, spin and speed? Should I go better with the same blade but as OFF-? I also looking to get Anatomic handle.
Thank you very much

Quick hint - your font is pretty hard to see against a black background, may want to go with the default white or some sort of bright yellow :)

Regarding your equipment, Gambler makes some really good stuff. You might want to try the Gambler Zen or Gambler Instinct 2 blade with your same Big Gun rubber on both sides. The Wingwood blade is kind of known to have odd feedback and not feel totally right. Plus, the composite layer in it blunts your feel of the ball a little. An all-wood blade would give you better feedback and the Zen and Instinct 2 are super cheap and reputable. If you really think your setup is WAY too fast, you can try the Nine Ultra-Tack rubber on both sides of either the Zen or Instinct 2.

Jul 2019
Thanks

Quick hint - your font is pretty hard to see against a black background, may want to go with the default white or some sort of bright yellow :)

Regarding your equipment, Gambler makes some really good stuff. You might want to try the Gambler Zen or Gambler Instinct 2 blade with your same Big Gun rubber on both sides. The Wingwood blade is kind of known to have odd feedback and not feel totally right. Plus, the composite layer in it blunts your feel of the ball a little. An all-wood blade would give you better feedback and the Zen and Instinct 2 are super cheap and reputable. If you really think your setup is WAY too fast, you can try the Nine Ultra-Tack rubber on both sides of either the Zen or Instinct 2.

Thank you so much for your input. I ended up ordering today Sawei Pro V5 all wood blade with Sawei Target 90 for FH and Sawei National (red rubber) for BH from megaspin. Hope it will help me to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Thank you so much for your input. I ended up ordering today Sawei Pro V5 all wood blade with Sawei Target 90 for FH and Sawei National (red rubber) for BH from megaspin. Hope it will help me to improve.
Sanwei is making more quality products these days.

The V5 pro can be hard and fast. So it pairs well with tacky rubbers.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

Jul 2019
Thanks

Sanwei is making more quality products these days.

The V5 pro can be hard and fast. So it pairs well with tacky rubbers.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Thanks for confirmation, I made the right choice then, hopefully...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am always interested to see how consistently someone asking for info about a new setup invariably wants to have different rubber on FH and BH without seeming to have any idea of why they would want something different or even, how the two rubbers they are getting are different. Why do so many people get this idea that they should have different rubbers on FH and BH without even necessarily knowing if or how they use their FH and BH differently or if they use their BH pretty much the same way they use their FH.

Reactions: Zaccai
I am always interested to see how consistently someone asking for info about a new setup invariably wants to have different rubber on FH and BH without seeming to have any idea of why they would want something different or even, how the two rubbers they are getting are different. Why do so many people get this idea that they should have different rubbers on FH and BH without even necessarily knowing if or how they use their FH and BH differently or if they use their BH pretty much the same way they use their FH.

Agreed. I utilize my FH and BH in very similar ways. Because of this I prefer to use identical rubbers on both sides (minus the color).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Agreed. I utilize my FH and BH in very similar ways. Because of this I prefer to use identical rubbers on both sides (minus the color).

Yep. And often, when someone is choosing different rubbers for each wing in an arbitrary manor without a real reason for having different rubbers on each wing, they cause whichever wing is weaker to develop more slowly since the two rubbers respond differently.

Reactions: Zaccai