After Service, push game spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Hi, I am looking for advice/help with the following:

I (right hand shakehand grip) serve a pendulum sides-spin back-spin serve to opponent (to their backhand), the opponent pushes back and it seems all my spin is returned to me, but in a strange way because when I then try to push this return-push, my ball goes off the table to one side, because it seems that this ball still has some element of side-spin. And it is difficult for me to see/read which direction this side-spin is.

When I watch the pros, I notice they are pushing balls, but contacting the ball on the side. But how do they know which side to contact? Is there some general rule to handling the 3-rd ball push when doing side-backspin serves?

Had anyone else had this this? It seems to almost always happen with side-backspin serve returns.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

I (right hand shakehand grip) serve a pendulum sides-spin back-spin serve to opponent (to their backhand), the opponent pushes back and it seems all my spin is returned to me, but in a strange way because when I then try to push this return-push, my ball goes off the table to one side, because it seems that this ball still has some element of side-spin. And it is difficult for me to see/read which direction this side-spin is.

When I watch the pros, I notice they are pushing balls, but contacting the ball on the side. But how do they know which side to contact? Is there some general rule to handling the 3-rd ball push when doing side-backspin serves?

Had anyone else had this this? It seems to almost always happen with side-backspin serve returns.
I'm assuming the opponent isn't sideswiping, or else the spin would be easy to read. If your own spin is being returned to you, it's because the opponent is giving you a no-spin push, one where he just touches the ball and maybe lift a little bit and bounce it back to you.

As for touching the side of the ball on pushes, it's not so much for dealing with sidespin, it's to prevent the ball from bouncing up when trying to push a no spin or topspin ball short. You can't do that against backspins. You can touch either side of the ball depending on where you want the ball to land.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
in my case the I try to push the returned ball, but due to my sidespin being returned to me, I am not sure which direction this sidespin is. I guess I will have to experiment and see.

the opponent is doing a push back to me so not a side-swipe and also not a no-spin push.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
hi jingle
if you perform this little experiment, and think carefully about it, your understanding should be improved.

Put a bat with spinny rubber flat on the table.
with a 2nd spinny bat from a few inches away send a.chop to the first bat softly such that the second bounce will occur on the same bat.
note the direction of the 2nd bounce
and apply this info to your question

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.

There's 2 main ways to push against sidespin, with the spin (spin continuation) and against the spin.

So for eg if an opponent serves pendulum sidebackspin to my BH, the rotation (from my perspective) is clockwise. If my bat (again from my perspective) goes from right to left, it produces clockwise spin and thus continues the spin. This will produce same sidespin as if you were receiving a pendulum sidebackspin yourself.

If my bat goes from left to right, it produces anticlockwise spin and I'm going against the spin - with this way I rely on inverted rubber properties to reverse the spin, and the outgoing ball will carry the opposite sidespin (like receiving a reverse pendulum spin).

With more advanced push technique, on this basic variation I can even push to produce a huge underspin component to no spin or even topspin depending on my wrist action during contact. With advanced push technique, you can have the wrist action in a different force direction as your main arm action to really amp up the deception.

If you don't want to deal with all these variations, just serve pure underspin / no spin serves with no sidespin components. This will make it much harder for the receiver to produce such variety of push receives (still possible but it'll be a lot more obvious in terms of what I'm putting on it).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
As other indicated there are two ways the ball can be returned.
You just need to know which was used. Contacting the ball on the spinning part of the ball will give back your spin, but contacting it on the south Pole where the ball does not spin, will keep the direction of the rotation the same. Unfortunately there is no way to serve a very spinny ball and get a return without spin that is easy to attack.