Another raising star - Chang Yu-An of Chinese Taipei

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Chang Yu-An, 17 years old is already a member of the national senior team, with a ranking of 7 in the senior team.
With quite a few U19 and U17 WTT titles under is belt already, he takes on Kim Gaon of Korea at the WTT Youth Contender Cheongyang 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I feel like a lot of these stars would've become world champions if they could train with the Chinese National team. There are so many stronger practice partners on the CNT, its hard to compete with them.

I always wanted Harimoto to train with the CNT.

Because if you notice, most of the CNT players themselves were not particularly strong at a young age. They really developed into dependably strong players in their 20's.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I feel like a lot of these stars would've become world champions if they could train with the Chinese National team. There are so many stronger practice partners on the CNT, its hard to compete with them.

I actually totally disagree with you. There can only be 1 world champion at a time, or few in a decade.
So many CNT members can't even be world champions.... how can top players of another country can all of a sudden, just become a world champion if they are in CNT? I think the maths/equation remains the same that only few can be, the rest, no.

Maybe Harimoto or Chang can become better, or maybe they will just become another 2nd tier and not become a main force within in China, yet along not even making the national team. (there is participation cap within CNT and ITTF events)

Did you not witness so many "drops outs" of China (not making national team), can end up beating Chinese national team members?
If they choose to stay in China, they would have retired as an unknown.

There is also so much fraction in CNT. Following the "right" coach, has a huge decision on how long your career will be too, or you may just end up becoming another training partner for life.

I always wanted Harimoto to train with the CNT.

Harimoto may not have trained with CNT, but Chuang Chih Yuan trained with CNT B team when he was young.
Harimoto bought in many Chinese training partners to his camp, since young.
Harimoto actually has more resource (funds) "per player" than any of the CNT players.

Harimto (just like Chang) is in a player centric system.
CNT is a team centric system
I assume you do understand the huge differences in these 2 systems, and how one can just become another nobody in the team centric system.

Because if you notice, most of the CNT players themselves were not particularly strong at a young age. They really developed into dependably strong players in their 20's.

I actually saw the total opposite as you, even though the latest batch is terrible with very little depth (but I blame a big factor on lack of international exposure), but if you talk about the main guys, they still achieve high level when very young (especially if we talking about current world champions)

Ma Long, entered CNT A team at age 15
Fan Zhendong at age 14
Wang Chuqin, age 15
Lin Shidong, age 17

So many of them are world top 10 before even turning 20....

If you say majority are not strong, that is because they are beaten by the stronger ones within.
So on the contrary, if these "2nd tier" in CNT can leave and play for other countries, they have a higher chance of gaining good world ranking and have the chance of causing upsets against CNT main force, compared to staying within CNT structure. As pointed out earlier, so many women's has done it already.

Truls at super league this year, just shows how strong these unknowns are.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Just saying....the screaming is really getting out of control. Seems like lately it's way more and overly reacted for each and every point. Personally, I wouldn't mind if there was a decibel meter near the table and player would get penalty for too loud screaming.

...or I am just getting too old :D :)
haha, laugh so much that I almost choked myself to the ICU

well, you need to visit elementary school tournaments, with 24 tables and 48 players screaming + the parents/other kids in the stands screaming too.

There is literately no where you can hide.

I guess, tennis wise, it is a quiet environment, and you just have 1 person screaming per hit.
But in TT, the tables are all closed by, and they not just "moaning" like in tennis, they are really, screeming they lungs out after every point (plus the others that join in)

Ear plugs to elementary tournament is my solution now (same as going to watch F1)