Backhand loop : which type of curve do you prefer?

This user has no status.
Well, as the topic title says, I'm interested to hear about your idea about your preferred backhand loop "curve". By "curve", I mean the path of your blade during the execution of the BH loop. I used to use convex curve, but currently trying the concave path. The other option is the "flat" trajectory, ie, straight from downward to upward. (Please bear with my usage of the terms since I'm not a native English user.) The concave trajectory feels more natural to me. But I am not sure about its advantages/disadvantages. Please share your idea.

Reactions: DutToitymnTon
maybe think of it in terms of where you have to hit the ball to get the desired effect since what you do after you hit the ball has little impact on the resulting shot. so your "curve" would vary depending on the incoming ball and the type of loop desired ie. heavy incoming backspin would require brushing the ball in a different place on the ball than looping a drive or heavy topspin.

your english is pretty good ... แน่นอนดีกว่าของฉันไทย (wonder how google translate coped with that, i meant to say : certainly better than my thai ... hopefully it's not too far from that)

This user has no status.
LOL. Google translation is pretty accurate. There is some translocation of words but all in all it's understandable.

What I mean "curve" applies to the path of the paddle from the start until it hits the ball. After all I think certain curve may have different effect on the force/difficulty/effect on the ball etc in execution.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
It should be similar with FH loop. I dun use the term like you do; but according to my coach, the curve should be "flat" trajectory and be forward at the end. So it looks more "concave" then ;)... Still i have to admit that it depends on the amount of backspin imposed on the ball to decide the timing, the angle of contact (normally 4 hour or so) and the power or impact of hitting. But no matter what, the "curve" of your bat should be eventually forward, more or less

Sent from my SHW-M250L using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
These are different ways of playing backhand and it has changed with the equipment. From what little I know or have observed in my association with the game, the "convex" path was employed by 1. Older players in the hard bat era when it was difficult to get power from the rubber. 2. European players to play short spinny loops against half long backspin balls ( e.g. Waldner and now sometimes Samsonov ) . With the advent of speed glue and modern rubber people advocate the "concave" method and shorter technique with the maximum force generated using a lose and rubbery wrist and the pivot of the arm happening around the elbow.
However, I am not an expert in these matters, I hope some of the more knowledgeable forum members will shed further light on this.