Backhand tospin against backspin

This user has no status.
Hi, does anyone have a right tutorial about bh topspin against backspin. I have a huge problem with that. I have tried every way to do that but none of that seems like it work. The ball is slow and it do not have a huge amount of spin - more like empty. The best way that i have reatched is just keep the elbow high and then make a move like ,,car whiper". It's not that powerful as I want it to be. Any tips that may help? I'll take everything. Also I would appreciate tips on normal bh topspin.

Reactions: Fnub
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
I don't own powerful and consistent BH topspin but I know that the spin mainly comes from legs. To make slow, spinny topspin you need to stand up and make a fast more upwards arm movement.

To make it powerful aka Fan Zhendong you have to stay low, a bit rotate your hips and play the ball at it's highest point. Like a bow you release your arm speed with an opened angle and go more forwards but still brushing, not hitting. High elbow is also important. Don't be afraid of missing, practice, explore your abilities.

If you understand the technique you'll learn fast. I don't fully understand 🥲

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Sometime ago I saw a video of Liam Pitchford on this subject and that was the one which helped me most, but everyone has its own way of understanding and learning. The good news is that there are hundreds of different vidoes and explanations , enough for everyone who has doubts

This user has no status.
For me, Ti Longs video about using the thumb and index finger as lever arms to spin the ball was the most eye opening and made the most impact to my BH game. Once I had the spin generation from the fingers, everything else fell into place easily (because then it's all about applying more forward power to the ball)

Reactions: Fnub
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hi, does anyone have a right tutorial about bh topspin against backspin. I have a huge problem with that. I have tried every way to do that but none of that seems like it work. The ball is slow and it do not have a huge amount of spin - more like empty. The best way that i have reatched is just keep the elbow high and then make a move like ,,car whiper". It's not that powerful as I want it to be. Any tips that may help? I'll take everything. Also I would appreciate tips on normal bh topspin.

For me it's all about timing. I always started accelerating way too early. If you're curling your wrist and arm in, then you've got enough to generate a good shot. You may get more with body or finger involvement, but they're not necessary. The key is to accelerate at pretty much the last possible moment. Try to move closer to the ball, and accelerate your wrist and elbow later, and later, and later until you can't possibly do it any later. You'll feel your racket really grabbing the ball. Once you can get that feeling consistently, then work on the rest of the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The best way that i have reatched is just keep the elbow high and then make a move like ,,car whiper".
That is a good start. Start with the paddle low so your elbow shouldn't be that high. Make sure you are swinging more up than forward. The problem with back spin balls is that they tend not to bounce forward as much as a top spin ball. Too many compensate by moving forward to meet the ball but they do this at the expense of swinging up so the ball doesn't make it over the net. Wait for the ball and swinging up. Take a video from the side to monitor your swing.

It's not that powerful as I want it to be.
It won't be fast because so much of your effort is in swinging up. When you get better and more precise you can close your paddle a little more, brush more, and actually add spin to the ball.

Any tips that may help? I'll take everything. Also I would appreciate tips on normal bh topspin.
You need to brush the ball a little more. This requires practice a confidence that the tangential motion of the rubber will add more spin and enough speed.

What I have done in the past to help beginners is use a robot set to shoot the ball back at a moder pace. I tell the students to list to the sound of impact. At first they will heart more of an impact on wood. Then I tell them to gradually close their paddle and increase the tangential motion or brushing motion of their paddle. When they do it right the sound is more muted because the ball is mostly hitting the rubber

This one of my favorite YT videos. It shows William Henzel practicing against a chopper in the olymipics. Notice that he starts with the paddel low and the stroke is mostly up and not forward when looping back a chopped ball.

Reactions: HiddenLion213