Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Reactions: The Penhold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
This user has no status.
Wow the Yasaka Extra is a great recommendation, the YEO might be too fast for a beginner like me after all!
Alright I'm going with the Mark V FH and Friendship 729 Focus 3 BH + Yasaka Extra, is that a good combo? Or should I switch out the rubbers
just a side note, you live in Belgium correct? Have you looked at the likes of dandoy sports and tabletennis11.com

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
RPB? TPB - top spin backhand?

RPB = Reverse Penhold Backhand (like Wang Hao's backhand using the second side).
TPB = Traditional Penhold Backhand (like Ryu Seung Min's backhand using the same side and rubber as the forehand).

Players like Xu Xin and Ma Lin used both.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, if he is using the traditional penhold backhand most of the time, first off, he is using the forehand rubber, so, does it make much difference in his choice of backhand rubber? Or in his choice of forehand rubber?

But if he is using the TPB then usually that is primarily blocking. I have seen guys loop with that but it is very hard and you can only do it as a 1 shot thing because of how awkward the motion is. But the TPB is great for blocking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
On a side note:
the transition from TPB to RPB is gonna be really difficult, and its better if you use the same rubber on both sides, till you get the hang of it.
I'm no pro, but i think mark V MAX on both sides would be better. And it lasts much longer than 729.
And mark V is also good for blocking. (If you want to do it)
Yep I'm struggling,I tend to use TPB more

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Another way to learn it is to learn a shakehand backhand. Could be with a machine. If you hit the shakehand backhand in drills for a while the RPB becomes more natural because they are so similar. I can do RPB better than TPB with penhold grip because I am shakehand. But I am really bad a penhold. :) If, with a robot or a patient friend who can feed your backhand, you go back and forth from shakehand backhand to RPB you will start to get it. Then you just keep practicing it. One friend of mine who is pretty good with RPB told me that to really get good at it, he had to just stop using the TPB for a while and only use RPB. I am not sure that is true for everyone, but focusing on it for a while will help.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Another way to learn it is to learn a shakehand backhand. Could be with a machine. If you hit the shakehand backhand in drills for a while the RPB becomes more natural because they are so similar. I can do RPB better than TPB with penhold grip because I am shakehand. But I am really bad a penhold. :) If, with a robot or a patient friend who can feed your backhand, you go back and forth from shakehand backhand to RPB you will start to get it. Then you just keep practicing it. One friend of mine who is pretty good with RPB told me that to really get good at it, he had to just stop using the TPB for a while and only use RPB. I am not sure that is true for everyone, but focusing on it for a while will help.

THat really makes sence, I had my own theory on that without checking if it was right lolz. Although for me it was the other way around, I've not fully mastered the RPB but on a good way in doing so, I tend to mix sometimes but 80% RPB. I am, technically horrible with the Shakehand technique, but I've come to find out Backhand shakehand feels easier after mastering RPB alot more, while FH Shakehand just feels messed up. When it in theory should be the other way around as far as I know..?
This lead me to the conclusion of Bh Shakehand and RPB being a bit similar (especially in the wrist) and would probably help each other develop. :cool:

I sadly had no Robot, but, when I wanted to improve it, I just decided to ONLY use RPB in sets and rallies. Even though I'l most likely play a worse game, or maybe loose, just for the sake of improving it. Then when I felt like it I swapped over to mixing them.
Ah! And this video has helped me alot. Recomended watching for any penholder.
Especially the serves as well as adjusting my RPB a bit.

(RPB at 5:24)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
i would recommend a tacky fh rubber.the penhold style is the best when paired with tacky rubbers IMHO

Not true, non tacky rubbers is equally as good (in a different way) - just look at 2004 Olympic champion, defeated tacky rubber players.

I used both tacky and non tacky and each has they advantages, so it is up to the preference of the user and not a "best paired", otherwise similiarly I can say for shakehand players, the best paired is tacky rubbers on the forehand, for example

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree YEO is not suitable.
Besides being a bit fast or too fast, it is also heavy.
New Cpen users tend to have problems with weight, so I will advise extreme caution here.

I agree YE is a better option. This is a more controlable and lighter blade

Since the equipment has been decided, then I won't comment too much on the rubber, other than the "arc" and hardness aspect will play a good role in the ease of executioning your shot.

PS - welcome to the world of penhold and good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I agree YEO is not suitable.
Besides being a bit fast or too fast, it is also heavy.
New Cpen users tend to have problems with weight, so I will advise extreme caution here.

I agree YE is a better option. This is a more controlable and lighter blade

Since the equipment has been decided, then I won't comment too much on the rubber, other than the "arc" and hardness aspect will play a good role in the ease of executioning your shot.

PS - welcome to the world of penhold and good luck
Thanks for the comment, I haven't actually decided on the rubber yet, so suggestions are always welcome!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I'll perplex you further and say you can block well with just about any ole inverted rubber that is not worn out like anti. It is all a matter of seeing the ball and getting over it to take it early. Once in position and you know what you want to do, the rest is almost automatic, you simply see the ball better. Some rubbers are better at active blocking and some are better at slowing it down or allowing you to "kill" the spin (take away heavy spin off the ball), but at the end of the day, you have to be in position and see the ball. Blocking away from table is an invite for opponent to kill you in the same manner of ripping off your head, defecating down your neck and doing a dance afterwards.

Don't sweat whether the rubber "blocks" well, look at your overall game and choose a rubber that will work with your blade for the majority of what you do. A control rubber usually works well enough, but not spectacular in all hitting situations, that is why pundits recommend an allround control rubber in the mold of Mark V or whatever. I say that is NOT the only way to go, but I myself use a control rubber on BH, XP 2008 Super Power.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I decided I wanted to look at what rubbers Ma Lin and Wang Hao were using in 2011 for their RPB. Not because you should use what they use. But for information. Back then Ma Lin was using Bryce Speed FX. Wang Hao was using a special rubber that had a Sriver topsheet and Bryce sponge. I remembered what Wang Hao was using so I just wanted to see what Ma Lin was using because this gives us some information. First, they are both NOT using Chinese style tacky rubber. They are both using Japanese style non-tacky rubber. The sponge is soft. And it is NOT Tenergy so they are not doing the same thing for the backhand as the shakehand players on the CNT who at the time were all using one version of Tenergy or another. I think they are still using Tenergy for the most part. But those two guys with the RPB were using something not as fast and with more control. And they were using soft sponge.

What does this say? Perhaps Mark V, Mark V soft, Sriver or Sriver FX would be good for starting with RBP. I don't really know.