Best budget rubber for BH?

says mid distance powerlooping!
Butterfly Rozena is awesome and my go to pick for you but it's not exactly budget.

If you want something a little cheaper but pretty respectable, you can consider Xiom Vega Intro or Stiga Mantra S/M. If you want even cheaper, then you need to look at chinese or chinese made rubbers.

Chinese rubbers often do extremely well but you'll need more arm movement and body engagement, or boost it for them to match the speed and spin of the rubbers above. And don't expect them to last too long with their new playing characteristics, but if you don't mind a rubber degrading while still playable, then they are very worth.

Yinhe Moon Speed
Friendship 729 Dragon L
Palio AK47
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ultravisitor
says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,764
1,712
5,677
Read 2 reviews
+1 for Yinhe Moon Speed, especially when boosted. Soft feels quite a lot like Tenergy 05 FX, albeit slightly slower and with less spin quality when bottomed. Still, that's a 10 dollar rubber. The Euro 53 is a minor upgrade better for mid distance play, and a bit more expensive still, but not much more.

I am going to switch away from it but I'm not surprised if I end up back with it after trying supposedly better rubbers. Have not been impressed with most ESN tensors or hybrids for how much they cost.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ultravisitor
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Feb 2024
431
331
1,006
+1 for Yinhe Moon Speed, especially when boosted. Soft feels quite a lot like Tenergy 05 FX, albeit slightly slower and with less spin quality when bottomed. Still, that's a 10 dollar rubber. The Euro 53 is a minor upgrade better for mid distance play, and a bit more expensive still, but not much more.

I am going to switch away from it but I'm not surprised if I end up back with it after trying supposedly better rubbers. Have not been impressed with most ESN tensors or hybrids for how much they cost.
Butterfly Rozena is awesome and my go to pick for you but it's not exactly budget.

If you want something a little cheaper but pretty respectable, you can consider Xiom Vega Intro or Stiga Mantra S/M. If you want even cheaper, then you need to look at chinese or chinese made rubbers.

Chinese rubbers often do extremely well but you'll need more arm movement and body engagement, or boost it for them to match the speed and spin of the rubbers above. And don't expect them to last too long with their new playing characteristics, but if you don't mind a rubber degrading while still playable, then they are very worth.

Yinhe Moon Speed
Friendship 729 Dragon L
Palio AK47
I'm playing Rozena on BH right now and I love it. If I were on tighter budget, I'd play Yinhe Moon 12. Both rubbers excel in blocking, but Rozena can get really speedy in comparison.
I never tried the other moon rubbers though, so maybe they are better than the 12
 
says mid distance powerlooping!
I've played both the regular Moon and Moon Blue 12 unboosted, I love them both. Both are slightly tacky, as in a sheet protector can stick to them well. They grip the ball well when I flick a slow, short backspin serve. But against long, fast backspin, I struggle to get a good grip on these rubbers to produce a strong topspin. I would guess that the lower throw due to the less catapult of unboosted chinese rubbers makes them require a larger acceleration or arc input in which my level just doesn't cope with it yet. I'm not speedy enough to get into position and take such balls with the required large arm and body movements.

Rozena on the other hand, as well as Glayzer, solved that problem easily. Plus they last long, and maintain their playing characteristics seemingly forever on backhand. Glayzer especially, has that addicting grippy topsheet bite that pulls backspin like no other.

Personal opinion, save up for the Rozena. But the Yinhe is perfectly playable if your willing to boost or train for it.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Feb 2024
431
331
1,006
I've played both the regular Moon and Moon Blue 12 unboosted, I love them both. Both are slightly tacky, as in a sheet protector can stick to them well. They grip the ball well when I flick a slow, short backspin serve. But against long, fast backspin, I struggle to get a good grip on these rubbers to produce a strong topspin. I would guess that the lower throw due to the less catapult of unboosted chinese rubbers makes them require a larger acceleration or arc input in which my level just doesn't cope with it yet. I'm not speedy enough to get into position and take such balls with the required large arm and body movements.

Rozena on the other hand, as well as Glayzer, solved that problem easily. Plus they last long, and maintain their playing characteristics seemingly forever on backhand. Glayzer especially, has that addicting grippy topsheet bite that pulls backspin like no other.

Personal opinion, save up for the Rozena. But the Yinhe is perfectly playable if your willing to boost or train for it.
Jeah I settled on Rozena, after ejing other options this summer.
 
says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,764
1,712
5,677
Read 2 reviews
Can someone give a brief explanation of the differences between the Moon Speed and the Moon Speed 53?
Similar topsheet, but I think the Euro 53 is less tacky. I don't know about the Asia. Euro 53 topsheet is much harder but also feels about as flexible.

Euro 53 has more spin when hitting hard, and it's otherwise as easy to spin with. It's faster in all shots, including heavy pushes and short play. It blocks with a slightly lower arc and higher speed. The sponge hardness consistency is better.

It costs a little bit more. The package is cardboard with a rip line, normal Moon is more paper-like. I think they both came cellophane packaged.

Moon Speed responds to booster more strongly and curls a lot, while Euro 53 didn't curl almost at all, but Euro 53 was INSANELY fast the day after boosting, about as fast as Tenergy 05 or Dignics 05, but that wore out in a week or so and it became more like the normal Moon Speed. Normal Moon Speed didn't change performance as much after boosting, and had a much fishier smell out of the packet.

The hardnesses are as follows:

Yinhe Moon Speed Soft RED
Topsheet 43.5 - 45.5 O
Sponge 41.0 - 42.0 O

Yinhe Moon Speed Medium RED + 1 layer Haifu Seamoon Regular
Topsheet 44.0 - 45.0 O
Sponge 39.0 - 41.0 O

Yinhe Moon Speed 53 EURO M- RED
Topsheet 30.0 - 31.0 A / 51.5 - 52.5 O
Sponge 30.5 - 31.0 A / 48.5 - 49.0 O

Bear in mind boosting Yinhe sponges makes the consistency more precise, and so does using it for a bit then removing it, so the Soft is probably a little more consistent after some use or boosting. I think probably because they come pre-boosted and it doesn't soak evenly or something. The Euro 53 is probably less boosted based on the smell and consistency. 1 layer of Haifu Seamoon is about -2.0 O, so the Medium would be about 41.0 - 43.0 when new.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Larshos and barusu
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Aug 2024
253
154
522
Thank you. So Moon Speed 53 is really the better rubber for advanced players, then..?
Interesting that there's such a big difference in sponge hardness between the MS Soft and the MS53 Medium-soft.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Sep 2025
58
94
183
I've played both the regular Moon and Moon Blue 12 unboosted, I love them both. Both are slightly tacky, as in a sheet protector can stick to them well.

I think plastic protector sheets can stick to anything by solely Van der Waals forces. And then there are those protector sheets that are themselves sticky, if you really want good adhesion to non-tacky rubbers.

My own Moon 12 Blue was 100% non-tacky.
 
says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,764
1,712
5,677
Read 2 reviews
Thank you. So Moon Speed 53 is really the better rubber for advanced players, then..?
Interesting that there's such a big difference in sponge hardness between the MS Soft and the MS53 Medium-soft.
I played with it against some more advanced amateur players (1800-2200~) and they noted that I lack speed in the rallies, but that is probably just a me sucking thing.

A 1600-1700~ guy tried it out and said it was really good and fast for him. He's used to wood blades, though, and mine was inner.

I think an advanced player wouldn't like it, they'd want something with more tension and grip, but again, these don't cost half of what rubbers like that cost, and you can still perform all of the techniques well. My backhand flick is complete dogshit and people still throw it out sometimes, so there is performance there.

I would say 53 is the better rubber for advanced players simply because it's stiff enough and it can store more energy. The normal Moon Speed versions bottom on strong shots even with my crap backhand.

I don't have Shore A hardnesses from the normal Moon Speed rubbers (I've given them to my partner) but I suspect their Shore A hardness isn't terribly lower than 53's. So it's probably a curve shape thing mostly, with the O differing more than the A. It doesn't feel much harder in real use. Even the 53 is really easy to brush the ball with and play slow and spinny shots and it's not very unreasonable to lift backspin with contrary to the measured hardness. I've looped chop with it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Larshos
Top