Best Chinese Alternatives to D05 Tier List

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Best Chinese alternatives to D05 Tier List

What is a tier list?

This Tier List ranks readily available and low cost Chinese rubbers according to their performance in matching the standard set by Dignics 05.

Rubbers are tiered based on the following factors:

Bite on the ball
- Higher ranking rubbers will bite and grip the ball very well, giving the player both control and spin potential
Dwell time - Higher ranking rubbers will provide ample dwell time to impart spin onto the ball
Catapult - The rubber should provide high catapult to produce powerful shots
Grippiness - Grippiness provides more spin potential and control
Hardness - Medium-Hardness is desirable to replicate the feeling of D05
Booster reaction - Top rubbers should react strongly to booster and improve their performance. Alternatively top rubbers should provide high performance without the need for booster
Arc and throw angle - Top rubbers should provide a healthy arc to clear over the net and land onto the table comfortably

S tier - Highest performance of Chinese rubbers matching or exceeding the standard of D05 available at acceptable cost

Friendship 729 Aurora Max - A total hidden gem, as I haven’t seen many people discuss this rubber at all. Unboosted, it is quite slow and unremarkable. But the secret to this rubber is that it has a tremendous reaction to booster. In fact, this rubber showed the greatest transformation from booster of any other rubber that I have tested. After boosting, it has tremendous catapult, high speed, and a nice feeling as well. Topsheet is nontacky and grippy, capable of very good loops and powerful punches.

Yinhe Moon 12 - Beautiful looking rubber, that also is very fun and very comfortable to use. You never get the feeling that the rubber did anything wrong as it is very balanced and easy to use. The speed is good, catapult is good, control is good, grip is good, arc is good, feeling is good, I really can’t think of any drawbacks to this rubber. Unfortunately the rubber doesn’t improve much from booster, because it already is so good. Also note that Moon 12 is part of Yinhe’s 8th generation of rubber along with Moon Speed 53, which I have also heard excellent reviews for.

A tier - Performance is considered to be very high, and are desirable as alternatives to D05 and may only have slight flaws

Palio AK47 Red - My favorite rubber to love. It is fast, powerful, catapulty, and really fun to use. Also is very light rubber. Excellent rubber for blocking and punching and powerful shots. The topsheet is grippy and matte. The topsheet is slightly less grippy than other options, so I have to put it lower on the list. In reality, it doesn’t mean you can’t hit good loops or anything, but probably it produces 5% less spin than other options because of the matte surface. The Blue and yellow sponge choices are also good, but the Red is the standout version to me.

B tier - Performance is considered to be high and mostly meet the desired criteria. May have more notable flaws that prevent a higher ranking

Yinhe Big Dipper - I recommend the H38 version with booster. It becomes a monster with high catapult, high spin, and some tackiness. Excellent for blocking, punching, looping, and all powerful shots. A couple drawbacks are that the surface is somewhat tacky, so not a perfect replication of D05. And also despite being listed as H38, it feels harder than that and feels quite a bit harder than D05. If you can get past the initial hardness, you will be rewarded. This rubber might actually be the best option for those looking for a hybrid bh rubber.

C tier - Performance is considered moderately high. These rubbers may need more technique from the user to bring out their potential or have notable flaws in meeting the criteria.

Fake Tenergy 05 - I kinda laughed when I saw this rubber and bought it as a joke because it was cheap on Aliexpress. It’s really dull unboosted, but it also has a strong reaction to booster and really becomes a very good rubber. It’s fast and catapulty, tacky and spinny, and the feeling is quite good too.

Palio HK 1997 Gold - It is somewhat tacky, and the rubber is too soft and unreliable, but it somehow still manages to play really quite well. With booster, it has good speed and is fast enough. It’s supposed to be harder than AK47, but I found it to be much softer actually. I didn’t love it at first, but came to like it after a while.

Friendship Presto Speed Max - It has a very rubbery and elastic feeling, like a Daiki made rubber. The marketing says the sponge is imported from Japan, so I guess that makes sense. It is bouncy and springy, and initially seems like it would be really good. It has good catapult and spin. But it has a few major drawbacks. Firstly, the durability is actually bad. I find the topsheet starts losing grip badly very quickly. Second, unlike other rubbers on the list, I found that the rubber starts shrinking quite a bit as well. Thirdly, when the topsheet starts fading quickly, the throw angle suffers badly and the ball tends to go into the net.

Rxton 3 Pink/Blue - Fairly fast, good rebound, quite powerful, good grip and tackiness. More like a hybrid rubber, although I think Loki initially wanted this to be a backhand option because of the color. I found the bond between sponge and topsheet to be too weak. Still, the overall performance of the rubber is high.

Loki T3 - Very fast, somewhat linear rubber. This is an excellent rubber for blocking and punching and flat shots. The speed will not disappoint you. However, it probably has the worst topsheet grip on this list. I often found it difficult to loop well with this. You really need to be in position and do a clean swing and grip the ball cleanly to execute a good loop.

D tier - Performance is considered to be average. The rubber only meets some of the criteria and has some major flaws

Rxton 3 - This rubber is initially somewhat slow, but shows a decent reaction to booster. With booster, it has fairly good speed and rebound. It also has very good grip and some tackiness. The performance on punches and flat hits is decent, but it really shots in loops and spin shots. Available at a very low price, so it may be the best choice for cheap setups.

Yinhe Moon Speed - Completely overtaken by the newer Moon 12. Moon Speed is quite a bit slower with less rebound. It also doesn’t react too much to booster. Still, if you want a more control oriented rubber, I find that it is quite fun to play with. The topsheet is rich and beautiful, it has good grip, and the speed is still acceptable.

Rxton 1 - Similar to Rxton 3, decent reaction to booster. Decent speed and rebound, and it works well for blocks and punches. I found it is a bit harder to spin. Still a good option for a cheap $5.

Reactor Ckylin Pro - Kinda like a worse version of AK47. Not as spinny, not as fast, but similar overall feeling and function to AK47.

Haifu Shark Speed - It doesn’t have a cakey, bouncy sponge. But kinda has a less dense-Chinese sponge with untacky topsheet. With booster, the speed is decent, but somehow it doesn’t feel like a very confident rubber. I sometimes hit shots into the net for no good reason.

E tier - Performance is considered to be low. Rubbers have flaws that define its performance more than its strengths

Palio Hadou 40 - I found this rubber to be quite unremarkable. It felt quite unreliable. The sponge is too soft, the topsheet seems to fade quite quickly, and nothing stood out too much.

Reactions: kindof99 and Tiz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Dude your sending me shopping again :) I got to try some of these out. Need more blades haha.
Could you make a small Tier list of cheap blades too maybe?

Also I got to ask: If you had only 1 blade to use the rest of your life in TT which one would be it? (less than 100$)

And same question: If you could only choose 1 BH rubber and 1 FH rubber for the rest of your life in TT(and able to change it and boost it whenever needed off course) what would it be? (less than 50$ pr sheet and available on aliexpress)

Reactions: TT Lover
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Dude your sending me shopping again :) I got to try some of these out. Need more blades haha.

Also I got to ask: If you had only 1 blade to use the rest of your life in TT which one would be it? (less than 100$)

And same question: If you could only choose 1 BH rubber and 1 FH rubber for the rest of your life in TT(and able to change it and boost it whenever needed off course) what would it be? (less than 50$ pr sheet and available on aliexpress)
For FH...I guess I would have to say GTX.
For BH...maybe I would say Moon Speed 53 because it is available on red. haha. Aurora Max is excellent too...I'm just not 100% sure if every sheet is as good as my sheet, or if I just got lucky with a rubber that reacted so well to booster. Moon 12 is good, but I don't want to be blue for the rest of my life.

Here are the blades I have right now:
Sanwei CC
Sanwei 75
Sanwei 75 inner
Sanwei F3 Pro
Loki Arthur Pro ZLC
2x Stuor Harimoto ZLC
Yasaka Atletico Power

Of these, my favorite is one of the Stuor Harimoto ZLC (the other is worse), and the Sanwei 75 inner.

Previously I also owned
DHS Fang Bo
729 Verawood KLC
Yinhe V14 Pro
Stuor Long 5
Stuor FZD ALC
Lemuria ZJK ZLC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
If I had to pick 1 blade for life, definitely it would be my Stuor Harimoto ZLC.

I have tried Long 5, W968, Viscaria, and many other famous blades. But my one Harimoto ZLC just seems better. The problem is my friend bought a 2nd Stuor Harimoto ZLC because he loved mine, but his new one isn't the same. So he just gave it to me because he didn't like it as much as mine.

I'll think about doing a blades tier list...the problem is I don't think I am as experienced with blades as I am with rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
For FH...I guess I would have to say GTX.
For BH...maybe I would say Moon Speed 53 because it is available on red. haha. Aurora Max is excellent too...I'm just not 100% sure if every sheet is as good as my sheet, or if I just got lucky with a rubber that reacted so well to booster. Moon 12 is good, but I don't want to be blue for the rest of my life.

Here are the blades I have right now:
Sanwei CC
Sanwei 75
Sanwei 75 inner
Sanwei F3 Pro
Loki Arthur Pro ZLC
2x Stuor Harimoto ZLC
Yasaka Atletico Power

Of these, my favorite is one of the Stuor Harimoto ZLC (the other is worse), and the Sanwei 75 inner.

Previously I also owned
DHS Fang Bo
729 Verawood KLC
Yinhe V14 Pro
Stuor Long 5
Stuor FZD ALC
Lemuria ZJK ZLC
how do you have time to test all this equipment? some needs to be played in. I read your posts and you seem to have tried out so many rubbers its impressive.
Glad you did it so others can benefit. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
how do you have time to test all this equipment? some needs to be played in. I read your posts and you seem to have tried out so many rubbers its impressive.
Glad you did it so others can benefit. Thanks for sharing.
Well these are my findings from the past several years.

Usually I have about 8 different setups going on at the same time. So over the course of days and weeks, I get to know the rubbers quite well and how they compare to each other.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
If I had to pick 1 blade for life, definitely it would be my Stuor Harimoto ZLC.

I have tried Long 5, W968, Viscaria, and many other famous blades. But my one Harimoto ZLC just seems better. The problem is my friend bought a 2nd Stuor Harimoto ZLC because he loved mine, but his new one isn't the same. So he just gave it to me because he didn't like it as much as mine.

I'll think about doing a blades tier list...the problem is I don't think I am as experienced with blades as I am with rubbers.
thats a problem..... not consistent with the quality of same blade models.
Then you never know what you are going to get.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Well these are my findings from the past several years.

Usually I have about 8 different setups going on at the same time. So over the course of days and weeks, I get to know the rubbers quite well and how they compare to each other.
isnt there something to be said about sticking to 1 setup and get to really know it?
Do you compete?
I am like you and find it interesting to test things out. But I think I will land with something and stick with it at one point..... hopefully. haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
isnt there something to be said about sticking to 1 setup and get to really know it?
Do you compete?
I am like you and find it interesting to test things out. But I think I will land with something and stick with it at one point..... hopefully. haha
I don't really compete. I just find my fun and energy from testing all these different equipment. I make it my goal to learn to play good matches with any equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Do you compete?
You should post some video of match between you and your former WR 200 friend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

So which rubbers are you gonna buy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
ill order the 2 in your S tier. Plus I already just ordered the GTX earlier today. on top of 4 other ones you suggested some weeks ago I already ordered too.
When you get Aurora Max, make sure to get the Medium-Hard version.

For Moon 12, I have tried the H- and M+ version. Both are good, I think I prefer the H- version.

Reactions: kindof99 and Cadoia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I played with Moon 12 m+ on bh for a couple of months. It's very forgiving very easy to play. Blocks and direction controls are It's strengths.
But higher gears are not easy to reach, it feels slow(ish) even if you put in power.
I only played d05 for a couple of balls, but it's bouncier and much faster. I think it compares better to rozena, a control oriented bh rubber.
I switched to goldarc 8 now, this gives me much easier access to higher gears and is still very good to control

Reactions: Cadoia and kindof99
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
I think this thread should be named " Best Chinese BH rubbers(for me) Tier List. Because all the rubbers mentioned are not even close in feel and characteristics to D05. Even ESN and Daiki can't make an alternative. I agree M12, AK47, Aurora Max are great for BH but they are really different from D05. D09c alternatives thread is pretty good cause the rubbers there are pretty close in performance and feel to D09c. But this thread I think is named wrong.
Just my opinion

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
For me, the ball kept slipping off of AK47 Red when lifting backspin, or when going for slow and spinny shots. When it didn't slip it produced a high quality shot, but otherwise it felt like playing with a 10 year old rubber that can't grab the ball.

Moon speed had a very bad durability. Within less than 2 months, it would no longer grab the ball. I honestly think everyone should avoid this rubber, save your money.

Hopefully Moon 12 is going to shine, I already have it on the way!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
Read 1 reviews
Moon 12 (M+) has amazing control and is wonderful for blocking and placement, I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. BUUUUUUT, it does have its drawbacks. It's not easy to get heavy spin out of it (at least I can't). Also, it's not a fast rubber and if you put too much power into it, it will bottom out. I haven't tried the H- version though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I think this thread should be named " Best Chinese BH rubbers(for me) Tier List. Because all the rubbers mentioned are not even close in feel and characteristics to D05. Even ESN and Daiki can't make an alternative. I agree M12, AK47, Aurora Max are great for BH but they are really different from D05. D09c alternatives thread is pretty good cause the rubbers there are pretty close in performance and feel to D09c. But this thread I think is named wrong.
Just my opinion
Second on this. Other rubbers are similar to D09C because you can boost it and have them play similar to D09C.

Reactions: Nima Abadi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Just my opinion
I think Chinese are better at making forehand rubbers so the forehand rubbers are somewhat closer to the feeling of d09c.

For making bh tension rubbers, these are just the best of the bunch. Theyre not perfect clones or replicas. The feeling and character is somewhat different. But they are genuinely good alternatives. Alternative is the correct word I believe.