Best Shots youve faced??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Thought it might be interesting to hear what are the best shots you have faced in your table tennis careers??

For example I had more chance of reading the hebrew bible than I did against Gavin Rumgays serves!!!, and going back 20 years I would never think of giving a loose no spin ball to Richard Jermyn, as my next movement would have been to try and retrieve the ball which would now be embedded in the concrete wall behind me!!!

Is there a particular player out there who has such a devasting shot on either wing that you daren't risk putting the ball anywhere in the vicinity of there bat!!!???

Discuss!!!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Aha Gavin's serves are a beast! :)

Hmm I will never forget this shot.. I was in a forehand topspin to topspin rally with Craig Howieson and I put the ball to the middle... He hit the ball behind his his back and didnt hit it,, but topspinned the ball past me! Was insane!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
A shot I remember is when I played a guy I never played before in practise.
He served, I flicked his serve and he had no chance at that flick. But right after that, he serves exactly the same. I'm confused and I can't think of anything else than flicking it away again. I felt like it was a good flick, but the next moment the ball flies past me lol. It was very funny, because most people would try to avoid the flick and serve different so I won't attack, but he did the exact same serve and just took over.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
There aren't really any shots that I avoid from the top players here in PA or MD, but one thing I do stop doing against them is serving long with any side top variation. They rip that like it's 2 feet high. I find that the only services that work long are underspin to no spin variations because they're the exact same stroke but just with different sponge penetration. I think the hardest shot for me to return however would be Jameson Bernard's lnside out loop. It hooks so fast that it's just too hard for me to get into position.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Well.. One guy I used to play often, he has one shot in repertoir that I cant deal with,..
Its - he stands in a position of forehand topspin cross the table.. He moves his arm like he is playing cross the table..
But when he hits, the ball goes down the line! Its just a wrist that makes the difference and he is playing it so well, the disguise of the true direction is perfect!
Very rarely I bring that one back.. Only when I really expect it in each rally, that he can do this, then I often put it on the table, but still its amazing!

And another .. well .. but thats a little different - best player I ever played, well.. when I got in a topspin topspin rally with him,..
You know its side spin in each topspin you play and you are aware of it, you can calculate where the ball will end and you can get into position then..
But when he played his topspin, the ball was cca. 50 cm away from my bat because of the spin!
Thanks god he didnt play that more times, hehe :D

And lastly, in our club there is a man that serves classic backhand serves, but .. well I never know whats in there.. Sidespin, topspin, underspin..
Looks same everytime and I never learned how to know whats in there..

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
My chinese coach offensive block. Any top spins that goes straight to his body. With a PH grip he stood right in front of the table. It seemed that the ball flew past me faster than my own spin, and my spin was among the fastest and spiniest in the club. He somehow always managed to out guess my placements. He had so much experience, he knew my placements just by reading my body language. Devastating speed and placements that deprived me my reaction time. 9/10 I just stood still with eyes staring blankly.

That was 15-20 years ago and I still haven't met anyone that can top that yet, and I have played all over in South east asia. If I were to play him now, I think he would still do it to me, and I would still be frozen perplexed. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Wang Hao's backhand topspin in backhand to backhand rallies was tough. He is very skillful at mixing the pace up on his shots so you constantly feel like you're hitting top edges or are out of position and you're not sure why.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Some great replies there, and an interesting addition from Mr Henzell there.....its amazing at that level that the response received isn't what we would expect, as a comparative novice if I was ever lucky enough to play Wang Hao, or any of the penhold chinese for that matter, I would make a distinct effort to not leeting them get there bazooka forehand in.....and yet now we hear that Wang Hao's backhand is to be feared!!!.....bugger!!! lol

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Kevin (Can) Wang's loop. In a tournament where I played him, he ripped the ball so hard to my backhand. It was fun playing against such a good loop but as a 1600 level player playing a 2500 level player I had little chance when he really ripped the ball. :) Wally Green's loops are pretty nasty as well. But when he plays me he usually plays me with a little racket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Some great replies there, and an interesting addition from Mr Henzell there.....its amazing at that level that the response received isn't what we would expect, as a comparative novice if I was ever lucky enough to play Wang Hao, or any of the penhold chinese for that matter, I would make a distinct effort to not leeting them get there bazooka forehand in.....and yet now we hear that Wang Hao's backhand is to be feared!!!.....bugger!!! lol

I think highlight packages have given people a lopsided view on the top World players. They play with much more control than the highlights videos show, but of course most people think it's more fun to watch topspin to topspin rallies and kill shots.

Oh and by the way, Wang Hao has one of the top few backhands in the world!