Blade edge pinches middle finger on BH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Recently I have been trying to get more wrist action on my BH and get more acceleration through the ball. When doing so, my natural instinct is to choke up higher on the handle and grip the blade face tighter. Also my instinct is to go into a more extreme "continental" grip.

All these put together causes my middle finger to be more pinched against the blade edge and causing pain. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Am I holding the racket wrong? or should I try shaving off the edge more than it already is?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
There are several type of head and wing shapes, but the 2 most common (important) are Butterfly and Stiga. I actually don't know who designed each first so I apologize for categorizing them this way.

Butterfly blades have a very steep wing width increase if you look closely while Stiga is much more "relaxed". If someone is holding the bat really close to the head BTY shape can cause the blade to reject itself out of your hand. Stiga shape allows you to hold much closer without this rejection. Of course this is very personal, since it depends on your hand anatomy and preference but maybe you should try both and figure out what do you prefer. DHS uses Stiga shape as well. Since Stiga shape has lower increase at that crucial spot I think it makes the blades a bit flexier, while BTY makes is stiffer.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Recently I have been trying to get more wrist action on my BH and get more acceleration through the ball. When doing so, my natural instinct is to choke up higher on the handle and grip the blade face tighter. Also my instinct is to go into a more extreme "continental" grip.

All these put together causes my middle finger to be more pinched against the blade edge and causing pain. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Am I holding the racket wrong? or should I try shaving off the edge more than it already is?
Last thing you said: file the wings so that they are more beveled; just the way penholders file the blade to fit the contours of their hand. File how ever much you feel you need for the blade to be comfortable on that shot.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
i have a high grip

i can only use stiga or yaska blades out of the box.

if i use any other make i have to sand the wings a little to make the curve similar to stiga flared handle shape, but be careful doing this as you cant put it back on once sanded off, normally only needs 1/2mm or so, rounding the edges helps too, some blades have this added already, but this really helps.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Screen%20Shot%202022%2012%2017%20at%206%2051%2002%20PM%20png.png

Wiktor145, your comment was good. The photo showing the sanding on your blade was particularly useful. Even if the basic idea is the same, your comment still was useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: wiktor145
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
I probably deleted it too quickly :) I was looking for the adequate picture (not my blade actually, but I wish it was mine :D ) and after I finished, I saw that in the meantime you added the comment with exactly the same idea :)

I can add, that I check, if the wings are sanded enough by holding the blade much firmer than normally, applying the pressure on those "critical points". Because if I do not feel any pain or discomfort when I hold the blade far too firm, I will probably not feel any pain while playing and holding it "normally".

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I probably deleted it too quickly :) I was looking for the adequate picture (not my blade actually, but I wish it was mine :D ) and after I finished, I saw that in the meantime you added the comment with exactly the same idea :)

I can add, that I check, if the wings are sanded enough by holding the blade much firmer than normally, applying the pressure on those "critical points". Because if I do not feel any pain or discomfort when I hold the blade far too firm, I will probably not feel any pain while playing and holding it "normally".
I always sand the wings of my blades till they feel good to me as well.

Reactions: TIME
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
You change your grip between your BH and FH? For me i add a little more pressure with my thumb on the BH stroke, but i don't change my fingers position. It help with the wrist action. I don't have time to change my grip during a match.

Changing your grip cause more problems. Practice your BH and FH with the same grip. It will increase your consistency.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You change your grip between your BH and FH? For me i add a little more pressure with my thumb on the BH stroke, but i don't change my fingers position. It help with the wrist action. I don't have time to change my grip during a match.

Changing your grip cause more problems. Practice your BH and FH with the same grip. It will increase your consistency.
I don't change my grip. But my grip adjusts as I change the angle of my wrist. So, my grip changes. But I don't change my grip, it changes based on the shot I am taking and the angle I am holding my wrist for that shot. If you really examine closely, as you change the angle of your wrist for different shots, there is no way you can do that without the way you are holding shifting a little. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Question about sanding off the wings: If you are sanding a outer-alc blade, should you try to avoid sanding the alc layer? If you sand that alc, will the threads of the weave come undone and become messy?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I know Zylon is very hard to sand. It is also hard to cut. I don't know about ALC, but what if you just sanded that top layer towards the ALC without sanding the ALC layer. I don't think what you are describing would happen. But it might be hard to file down.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I used a dremel tool to carefully sand the wing on my Pro 01. Then finished with fine grit sandpaper. Arylate is very hard to sand and if you do i t manually it makes bumps.
I second this, arylate/aramid needs to either be cut with a knife, or sanded with a power tool or very hard sanding block in the direction of the carbon layer, otherwise it will not be removed at the same rate as the wood and carbon.