Can you loop effectively with a thinner balsa blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
I know a lady who can spin the ball quite heavy and I was surprised as she is using thick balsa blade with double inverted rubbers. I know her friends (in her group) play with balsa blades but they are all using pips at least on the BH. I asked her why she is using balsa blade as I think she can spin better using ordinary limba/koto/hinoki blade with ayous or kiri core, she said that she likes the blade because it is light.

Well, I guess that you can do anything if you like your blade or it fits you well.

Reactions: NextLevel and MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Black Balsa 3.0 spins Well with T05,these blades dampen well for ox lp even with a fast rubber on the other side

Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Hey genius, you can also cut a steak with a spoon. Is it the right tool for the job? Certainly not, but it gets it done. It will probably "feel" different but the steak doesn't care how you feel. Or you can just stop being hard headed and use a knife... So, unless you are also eating soup, and you can only pick one, choose the best tool for the job.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hey genius, you can also cut a steak with a spoon. Is it the right tool for the job? Certainly not, but it gets it done. It will probably "feel" different but the steak doesn't care how you feel. Or you can just stop being hard headed and use a knife... So, unless you are also eating soup, and you can only pick one, choose the best tool for the job.
Which knife? Everyone has a different opinion. Why are there so many different types of knives? Mostly because they have different purposes.
The truth is that physic rules. Get over it.
You can't refute my claim that most posts on this forum are rubbish, myths and misinformation.
So what are you going to do? Cry to USDC that I am a bad guy again?
People should stick to posting videos.

I bought a cheap rubber from colestt.com because I know I can generate the same impulse with it as I an with H3 Neo but Defender is now half the price. I had Rakza 7 on the paddle but I thought it was too fast for the balsa wood blade and playing close to the table.

Why don't all the pros use the same rubber and blades if they are so damn knowledgeable and perfect?

says [IMG]
Although choice of material matters (as level of support to generate spin), I have to agree with @brokenball on this one. You can generate spin with every blade and rubber. It all depends on technique and physical competence.

Is it possible to generate decent spin with TSP Balsa 4.5? Yes
Can TS generate decent spin with TSP Balsa 4.5? that's the actual question, but we can't answer it.
Is TSP Balsa 4.5 the best blade to generate decent spin? Probably not

Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Which knife? Everyone has a different opinion. Why are there so many different types of knives? Mostly because they have different purposes.
The truth is that physic rules. Get over it.
You can't refute my claim that most posts on this forum are rubbish, myths and misinformation.
So what are you going to do? Cry to USDC that I am a bad guy again?
People should stick to posting videos.

I bought a cheap rubber from colestt.com because I know I can generate the same impulse with it as I an with H3 Neo but Defender is now half the price. I had Rakza 7 on the paddle but I thought it was too fast for the balsa wood blade and playing close to the table.

Why don't all the pros use the same rubber and blades if they are so damn knowledgeable and perfect?
Once again the analogy completely flies by you. God, why do I even try...

This user has no status.
Once again the analogy completely flies by you. God, why do I even try...
Hahaah his physics model is wrong and he still thinks it is correct. You definitely get a lot more spin out of Dignics than sandpaper for eg... but he insists that "Surface doesn't matter" lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Although choice of material matters (as level of support to generate spin), I have to agree with @brokenball on this one. You can generate spin with every blade and rubber. It all depends on technique and physical competence.

Is it possible to generate decent spin with TSP Balsa 4.5? Yes
Can TS generate decent spin with TSP Balsa 4.5? that's the actual question, but we can't answer it.
Is TSP Balsa 4.5 the best blade to generate decent spin? Probably not
I never disagreed with him, in fact he is correct, and my analogy stated exactly that, but it's going to be harder and you'll have less margin for error. Another thing that he's right about is the myths part, because people associate bad looping ability with a thick balsa blade, but balsa is not the (only) culprit here, it's the carbon. Thick balsa blades usually have a dense carbon layer, and so they become very stiff and hard. If you remove the carbon layer, they actually become much more flexible and slow, despite the thickness. So in essence you could still loop effectively with a thick Balsa blade, I just don't know any blade on the market (other than built by me 😅), that has these characteristics. In fact, even the thinner examples people are referring to, are also no appropriate for looping because they have a core which is neither vertical (like usual) or horizontal, but it runs perpendicular to the face of the blade. This is done to enhance a fast direct hits, not slow spin loops. Can you still loop with those? Absolutely.

However, if you built a regular 5+2 inner blade with a relatively soft fiber and a Balsa core, you could loop extremely well with it, it would just be much slower than if you used a Kiri or Ayous core.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016

Possibly the wittiest post ever on TTD!
Long Live hipnotic!