cheap aliexpress rubbers vs. more expensive ones.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
There is a thing called branding in business. If it's a popular brand, you pay for the name more than you pay for the quality. Just like paying for an iPhone, or paying for designer clothing. The price is higher not because the quality is better (although some times it is), but because of the popularity of the brand.

Unless it's DHS National BS or W968, Chinese companies don't seem to care all that much about this business strategy, and they focus mainly on profiting by selling many rubbers for cheap, rather than selling fewer rubbers for a higher price.

I've tested about 15-20 rubbers, both Chinese and European/Japanese, and to me it seems like the quality of the Chinese brand rubbers isn't worse than any other company. You can definitely use these alternatives and get to a very high level without needing that extra 5-15% performance that comes with a 300% higher price tag.

Edit: I've had my coaches try all the rubbers I got, and they are among the top 100 players in my country. All of them said these rubbers are great, and were shocked by how cheap they were.

Reactions: Cadoia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
There is a thing called branding in business. If it's a popular brand, you pay for the name more than you pay for the quality. Just like paying for an iPhone, or paying for designer clothing. The price is higher not because the quality is better (although some times it is), but because of the popularity of the brand.

Unless it's DHS National BS or W968, Chinese companies don't seem to care all that much about this business strategy, and they focus mainly on profiting by selling many rubbers for cheap, rather than selling fewer rubbers for a higher price.

I've tested about 15-20 rubbers, both Chinese and European/Japanese, and to me it seems like the quality of the Chinese brand rubbers isn't worse than any other company. You can definitely use these alternatives and get to a very high level without needing that extra 5-15% performance that comes with a 300% higher price tag.

Edit: I've had my coaches try all the rubbers I got, and they are among the top 100 players in my country. All of them said these rubbers are great, and were shocked by how cheap they were.
makes sense to me and suddenly trying out many different rubbers to find ones favorites doesnt seem to have to break the bank. Do you boost your rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Exactly 100% agree.

When I first started testing out these Chinese rubbers I was very impressed by how good they are. It made sense to me. BYD makes the cars of tomorrow today, why couldn't they produce a decent TT rubber.

But a lot of people online are still highly skeptical. Funny thing is almost all of the skeptics seem to not have tested the rubbers I speak of.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
makes sense to me and suddenly trying out many different rubbers to find ones favorites doesnt seem to have to break the bank
Could i make a recommendation ?
If you start out on a "experimentation phase" keep the setup you got now intact. Experiment with the new blade and new rubbers. Chinese rubbers need a slightly different playing style and take time to adjust. I you keep your original setup intact , you can always go back to it.

Reactions: davidsyd828
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Exactly 100% agree.

When I first started testing out these Chinese rubbers I was very impressed by how good they are. It made sense to me. BYD makes the cars of tomorrow today, why couldn't they produce a decent TT rubber.

But a lot of people online are still highly skeptical. Funny thing is almost all of the skeptics seem to not have tested the rubbers I speak of.
We are trained in our minds you get what you pay for. In many cases this is true so its applied to everything unfortunately.

Im pretty sure the research and development cost $ for these high level brands are substantial. Maybe thats why they charge so much?
But its a rubber, not a rolls royce. 85$ for a piece of rubber is crazy. and you need 2 of them.

Im also pretty sure there is some basic formulations on developments of rubber and sponge that can guarantee a pretty good product that doesn't require a lot of R&D anymore.
I suspect thats what these cheap Chinese rubber manufacturers are doing. they use already well knows formulations and can therefore sell a sheet for 5-10-15$ with profit.

At least thats my logic. I will find out. But seems to me there is quite a lot of people in favor of these cheap rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Could i make a recommendation ?
If you start out on a "experimentation phase" keep the setup you got now intact. Experiment with the new blade and new rubbers. Chinese rubbers need a slightly different playing style and take time to adjust. I you keep your original setup intact , you can always go back to it.
I was thinking that myself yes. I will need to buy 2 more blades. keep my old setup as you recommended.
2 blades of same brand and model. Then test side by side the different rubbers. Only way to do it I feel.

Reactions: lodro

_ak

This user has no status.
Another EJ is born :D
Funny thing is almost all of the skeptics seem to not have tested the rubbers I speak of.
On the other side there are too many posts like "i've found the best rubber for me" .
And it lasts quite short time till the next very best one.

I remember a time when I got rid from all the redundant stuff and kept using the same combo for years.
And then they changes the ball :)

Currently waiting for Battle 2 Provincial 39 and randomly picked Moon Soft for BH. Will see how real tacky stuff works for me. Big Dipper is the current keeper so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawsy