choosing blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
i have tibhar 1Q on forehand and tenergy 05fx on backhand.
1Q is very spinny, slower than tenergy and hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I would recommend the Adidas Fibertech Classic. It is by far one of the best blades I've seen with composite for anyone using Chinese on the forehand and euro/jap on the backhand.

One thing I have to mention is that blocking, topspin, and mid distance power are stroke/technique based. You simply need a blade that feels comfortable in your hand. If you find a good blade with no vibration I would go with that and work on everything else. Also if you want good mid distance power a step up to provincial will also help when boosted. It provides more control and little bit more of a kick in your shots. But I would still say work on your training and core to get some great mid distance power and find a good no vibration racket to handle the blocking and topspin if that bothers you.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
that sounds good but i have a m.maze and i like it a lot but is kinda heavy for the rubbers i want to put on it ! ill put H3 neo and 05 !
so it may be too much ! i dont care a lot about the weight but with this combination i think it will be overweight

I tested that exact combo beofre. Maze + T05 + Hurricane + edge tape + thick grip tape = 210 grams!

Heavy? Nope. Just balanced and powerful and controlable on looping.

Since OP wants a much slower stiff non vibrating blade, I recommend the ALL+ to lower OFF - Dawei Matrix. All wood, but very stiff and not all that fast.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
i have tibhar 1Q on forehand and tenergy 05fx on backhand.
1Q is very spinny, slower than tenergy and hard.

I coughed up 60,000 Won to see what the buzz over 1Q was about. Although it was a serviceable rubber for FH, it wasn't better than Aurus, whcih costs a LOT less. 1Q currently sits on my BH wing of my ALC backup bat.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A much slower and controlable Arlyte/Carbon blade (but it vibrates some and is not so stiff) is the Gambler A/C. Speed is middle OFF-, about the slowest A/C blade I have ever used. Control was great. This blade spins the crap outta the ball and keeps it on the table if that is what you are into. That blade plays much like a Galaxy W-6, but entirely diffenrent composition.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would recommend the Adidas Fibertech Classic. It is by far one of the best blades I've seen with composite for anyone using Chinese on the forehand and euro/jap on the backhand.

One thing I have to mention is that blocking, topspin, and mid distance power are stroke/technique based. You simply need a blade that feels comfortable in your hand. If you find a good blade with no vibration I would go with that and work on everything else. Also if you want good mid distance power a step up to provincial will also help when boosted. It provides more control and little bit more of a kick in your shots. But I would still say work on your training and core to get some great mid distance power and find a good no vibration racket to handle the blocking and topspin if that bothers you.

You talk with Hedgehog any? (JY) He designed blades for Xiom and he now markets Addidas in Korea.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just a few pieces of info.

First, Butterfly rates the speed of Viscaria faster than TB ALC. I have tried several, I have one. I have personally never felt a Viscaria that was slower than a TB ALC. I have felt many TB ALCs. The plies on Viscaria are: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto. The plies on TB ALC are: Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto. Balsa is actually a faster core than Limba-Kiri-Limba.

The Zhang Jike blade is a little different than the Viscaria, but very similar. The plies are still: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto. Same as Viscaria. The shape of the head is different. The handle is a little different. The plies are a little thinner and this makes it a tiny bit thinner than Viscaria. Butterfly rates it slower than Viscaria. But the two I hit with were both faster than any of the Viscarias I have tried. They were lighter, and faster than the Viscarias I have tried. But they also had more control. It felt a lot like the Viscaria, same feeling from the wood, the ALC and the core, so it felt almost like the same blade but faster, lighter and with more control. It did feel really good to me.

The Nittaku Accoustic is an excellent blade. It is a tiny bit slower than a TB ALC. But it is all wood and the one I felt had good feeling (some people think of vibration as feeling). You could feel the ball on the blade well because of the mild vibration. It did not feel heavy to me. And it was in the same basic speed range as the TB ALC but a small amount slower.

Also, Butterfly gives TB ZLF the same speed rating as TB ALC but the ones I tried all felt a tiny bit slower than the TB ALC and what I noticed with the TB ZLF was that it lost some power once I was back from the table. It was better with shorter strokes closer to the table than with larger strokes further back, at least for me. That was consistent with all the TB ZLFs I tried. But, as Mr RicharD said, to some extent that is technique. The Innerforce ZLF did not have that problem for me. The Innerforce ZLF felt like the best blade for me of any I have tried. But that is because the wood used in it is the wood that I like best. I have tested so many blades and the ones with Limba outer plies and Ayous inner plies are the ones that always feel best to me.

But, rather than recommend blades I like, I will give you some info. First. What Mr RicharD and Der_Echte said is worth examining. They have both given some very good info. Second, what I recommend is that you find out what blades you like, what blades feel really good to you and then find out what the plies on those blades are. Every so often you will pick up a blade from someone you know and it will feel like a magic weapon in your hand. Different woods feel different. I know when I have a blade that has one of these two constructions: Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba (5 ply) or Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba (7 ply) and the Limba outer ply is very thin, I am going to love that blade no matter what the speed rating is. There are blades that are rated All, All+, Off- and Off with those plies. They all feel good to me. Once I knew that, finding the right blade for my game to develop was easy. All I did is get a blade with those plies that was the speed rating I wanted. :) That is what I would do, if I was you.

And if you know you like TB ALC but want a slow one, just get your distributor to give you the lightest one they have. Make them weigh as many as they have and take the one that is the lightest. Because the lightest one will be the slowest one. Even though you will get more bat speed from it. The weight range will be 3-5 grams up or down. So the heaviest TB ALCs will be 6-10 grams heavier than the lightest. And that Gambler A/C that Der_Echte is recommending might be perfect.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
Just a few pieces of info.

First, Butterfly rates the speed of Viscaria faster than TB ALC. I have tried several, I have one. I have personally never felt a Viscaria that was slower than a TB ALC. I have felt many TB ALCs. The plies on Viscaria are: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto. The plies on TB ALC are: Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto. Balsa is actually a faster core than Limba-Kiri-Limba.

The Zhang Jike blade is a little different than the Viscaria, but very similar. The plies are still: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto. Same as Viscaria. The shape of the head is different. The handle is a little different. The plies are a little thinner and this makes it a tiny bit thinner than Viscaria. Butterfly rates it slower than Viscaria. But the two I hit with were both faster than any of the Viscarias I have tried. They were lighter, and faster than the Viscarias I have tried. But they also had more control. It felt a lot like the Viscaria, same feeling from the wood, the ALC and the core, so it felt almost like the same blade but faster, lighter and with more control. It did feel really good to me.

The Nittaku Accoustic is an excellent blade. It is a tiny bit slower than a TB ALC. But it is all wood and the one I felt had good feeling (some people think of vibration as feeling). You could feel the ball on the blade well because of the mild vibration. It did not feel heavy to me. And it was in the same basic speed range as the TB ALC but a small amount slower.

Also, Butterfly gives TB ZLF the same speed rating as TB ALC but the ones I tried all felt a tiny bit slower than the TB ALC and what I noticed with the TB ZLF was that it lost some power once I was back from the table. It was better with shorter strokes closer to the table than with larger strokes further back, at least for me. That was consistent with all the TB ZLFs I tried. But, as Mr RicharD said, to some extent that is technique. The Innerforce ZLF did not have that problem for me. The Innerforce ZLF felt like the best blade for me of any I have tried. But that is because the wood used in it is the wood that I like best. I have tested so many blades and the ones with Limba outer plies and Ayous inner plies are the ones that always feel best to me.

But, rather than recommend blades I like, I will give you some info. First. What Mr RicharD and Der_Echte said is worth examining. They have both given some very good info. Second, what I recommend is that you find out what blades you like, what blades feel really good to you and then find out what the plies on those blades are. Every so often you will pick up a blade from someone you know and it will feel like a magic weapon in your hand. Different woods feel different. I know when I have a blade that has one of these two constructions: Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba (5 ply) or Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba (7 ply) and the Limba outer ply is very thin, I am going to love that blade no matter what the speed rating is. There are blades that are rated All, All+, Off- and Off with those plies. They all feel good to me. Once I knew that, finding the right blade for my game to develop was easy. All I did is get a blade with those plies that was the speed rating I wanted. :) That is what I would do, if I was you.

And if you know you like TB ALC but want a slow one, just get your distributor to give you the lightest one they have. Make them weigh as many as they have and take the one that is the lightest. Because the lightest one will be the slowest one. Even though you will get more bat speed from it. The weight range will be 3-5 grams up or down. So the heaviest TB ALCs will be 6-10 grams heavier than the lightest. And that Gambler A/C that Der_Echte is recommending might be perfect.

zhang jike and viscaria have same composition as timo boll alc and timo boll spirit.
of all these I'd go with viscaria if you can find one (discontinued) or zhang jike.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
my advice, find people who have these blades or others and try them. you will find out what you like.
don't buy a blade that you have not tried it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
zhang jike and viscaria have same composition as timo boll alc and timo boll spirit.
of all these I'd go with viscaria if you can find one (discontinued) or zhang jike.

This is not exactly accurate. All 4 blades have Koto as the outer ply and ALC under that. But the single ply under the ALC in the Viscaria and the Zhang Jike Blade are different from the three plies under the ALC on the TB Spirit and the TB ALC.

Zhang Jike Blade's plies are: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto

Viscaria has the same plies but slightly different thickness: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto

Timo Boll ALC's plies are: Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto

Spirit has the same plies as TB ALC: Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto

So, Viscaria and Zhang Jike Blade have same plies but slightly different thickness and they have done something to make the ZJK Blade faster, lighter and more control (softer).

TB ALC and TB Spirit have 7 plies: 5 plies wood and 2 plies ALC. ZJK and Viscaria have 5 plies: 3 plies wood and 2 plies ALC.

Limb-Kiri-Limba as the center 3 plies of TB Spirit and TB ALC plays vastly different than the one thick ply of Balsa that is the core of the Viscaria and the ZJK blade.

The Koto and the ALC part of these 4 blades feel similar. The inner plies of TB blades and the core of the ZJK blades play vastly different.

If you handed me a Viscaria and told me it was a TB ALC and had me hit with it, I would be able to tell you that it had Balsa in it and that it was not a TB ALC.

All 4 blades are excellent though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
This is not exactly accurate. All 4 blades have Koto as the outer ply and ALC under that. But the single ply under the ALC in the Viscaria and the Zhang Jike Blade are different from the three plies under the ALC on the TB Spirit and the TB ALC.

Zhang Jike Blade's plies are: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto

Viscaria has the same plies but slightly different thickness: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto

Timo Boll ALC's plies are: Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto

Spirit has the same plies as TB ALC: Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto

So, Viscaria and Zhang Jike Blade have same plies but slightly different thickness and they have done something to make the ZJK Blade faster, lighter and more control (softer).

TB ALC and TB Spirit have 7 plies: 5 plies wood and 2 plies ALC. ZJK and Viscaria have 5 plies: 3 plies wood and 2 plies ALC.

Limb-Kiri-Limba as the center 3 plies of TB Spirit and TB ALC plays vastly different than the one thick ply of Balsa that is the core of the Viscaria and the ZJK blade.

The Koto and the ALC part of these 4 blades feel similar. The inner plies of TB blades and the core of the ZJK blades play vastly different.

If you handed me a Viscaria and told me it was a TB ALC and had me hit with it, I would be able to tell you that it had Balsa in it and that it was not a TB ALC.

All 4 blades are excellent though.

wrong.

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i3/677393144/T2yypiXcVMXXXXXXXX_!!677393144.jpg

as for zhang jike I bought one and I also had a timo boll spirit so I can confirm plies are exactly the same in both of these.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
wrong.

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i3/677393144/T2yypiXcVMXXXXXXXX_!!677393144.jpg

as for zhang jike I bought one and I also had a timo boll spirit so I can confirm plies are exactly the same in both of these.

This got me to look at my Viscaria. There are 5 plies of wood and 2 plies of ALC. I have to admit that I do not know what the ply between the balsa and the ALC is. But the core is BALSA and the core on the TB Spirit and the TB ALC is definitely NOT Balsa. I can also guarantee that, if someone handed me a TB ALC and a Viscaria and they both had the same handle and I was told that they were both TB ALCs I would be able to tell you that the Viscaria was not a TB ALC. That Balsa core feels way too different.

TB ALC and TB Spirit are the same plies.

Viscaria and Zhang Jike Blade are the same plies.

Viscaria and TB ALC are not the same plies.

Viscaria and TB Spirit are not the same plies.

Zhang Jike and TB ALC are not the same plies.

Zhang Jike and TB Spirit are not the same plies.

Zhang Jike and Viscaria feel a lot alike but do not really feel like TB ALC or TB Spirit.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In any case, if you get enough people to let you try what they are using, over time you start knowing what blades you like. If you can figure out what wood is in the blades you like, it can help you have a better educated guess on other blades that you will like. But, in the end, when you feel something you like and that works for you, that has the right feeling for you, and the right speed and control, then you get that.

The particular blade you use, (Viscaria, Innerforce, TB, Clipper, PowerPlay, Rosewood, Ebenholz, Kong Linghui, P-700, etc, etc.) is not as important as that, when it is in your hands, it feels like the right weapon for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
This got me to look at my Viscaria. There are 5 plies of wood and 2 plies of ALC. I have to admit that I do not know what the ply between the balsa and the ALC is. But the core is BALSA and the core on the TB Spirit and the TB ALC is definitely NOT Balsa. I can also guarantee that, if someone handed me a TB ALC and a Viscaria and they both had the same handle and I was told that they were both TB ALCs I would be able to tell you that the Viscaria was not a TB ALC. That Balsa core feels way too different.

TB ALC and TB Spirit are the same plies.

Viscaria and Zhang Jike Blade are the same plies.

Viscaria and TB ALC are not the same plies.

Viscaria and TB Spirit are not the same plies.

Zhang Jike and TB ALC are not the same plies.

Zhang Jike and TB Spirit are not the same plies.

Zhang Jike and Viscaria feel a lot alike but do not really feel like TB ALC or TB Spirit.

don't know about viscaria, never bought one.

but zhang jike and tbs have same core, it looks and feels the same at touch.

I know butterfly says on their site viscaria has balsa core but I don't believe.
if it was balsa you'd be able to tell clearly just by touching it.
kiri is hard, balsa is like butter.
also the blade would be much lighter than tbs or zhang jike, at least 10 grams.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
don't know about viscaria, never bought one.

but zhang jike and tbs have same core, it looks and feels the same at touch.

I know butterfly says on their site viscaria has balsa core but I don't believe.
if it was balsa you'd be able to tell clearly just by touching it.
kiri is hard, balsa is like butter.
also the blade would be much lighter than tbs or zhang jike, at least 10 grams.

For a while I tried to figure out how it was so heavy and yet it had Balsa, but I can feel it. The core is Balsa. It is funny though, I read somewhere a while ago that Butterfly says that the core of Viscaria is Balsa but that it is Kiri. But, I can feel the one I have is Balsa and several others that I have hit with all had a Balsa core. It has very distinct playing characteristics and feeling. And in looking at it and examining the wood, I can see it. The two Zhang Jike blades that I have hit with both had that same Balsa feeling, but I did not examine the wood that closely.

Who knows, perhaps there are Viscarias and Zhang Jike Blades with a Kiri core and others with a Balsa core. It would not be very much like Butterfly to do that. But, Stiga does things like that all the time. :)

In the end, I guess it does not matter though. The real issue is that, hopefully gus-13 will find a blade or two that he really likes and can play with for a long time.

Last edited: