choosing blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
For a while I tried to figure out how it was so heavy and yet it had Balsa, but I can feel it. The core is Balsa. It is funny though, I read somewhere a while ago that Butterfly says that the core of Viscaria is Balsa but that it is Kiri. But, I can feel the one I have is Balsa and several others that I have hit with all had a Balsa core. It has very distinct playing characteristics and feeling. And in looking at it and examining the wood, I can see it. The two Zhang Jike blades that I have hit with both had that same Balsa feeling, but I did not examine the wood that closely.

Who knows, perhaps there are Viscarias and Zhang Jike Blades with a Kiri core and others with a Balsa core. It would not be very much like Butterfly to do that. But, Stiga does things like that all the time. :)

In the end, I guess it does not matter though. The real issue is that, hopefully gus-13 will find a blade or two that he really likes and can play with for a long time.

zhang jike to me felt more controllable and a slower than tbs.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
zhang jike to me felt more controllable and a slower than tbs.

This is also an interesting thing. I have a friend who makes more contact than I do and hits more, he hits and lobs, I brush a little more than he does and I loop even though sometimes I smash. There have been several times where we were comparing blades, and he felt one blade was faster and I felt that the other was faster. In comparing a Butterfly Jonyer Hinoki to a Cornilleau Hinotec All+, I felt the All Hinoki blade (Jonyer) was faster and had more control than the Hinotec. He felt the exact opposite. He felt a Stiga Offensive Classic was faster than a Clipper and with the same two blades I felt that the Clipper was way faster than the Offensive Classic. With each instance, it was the same two blades. I hit with one while my friend hit with the other and then we swapped. I am pretty sure our feeling things so differently had something to do with how different our technique is.