Comeback rubber recommendations?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
I'd advise you stay away from Tenergies or Dignics or anything expensive. Have a look on tabletennis11 or any online store and see what's on offer. If you are anything like me you'll need 3-4 months after you come back to get your technique and fitness back, only a that point will the rubbers and blade start to truely matter.

I came back after 20 years with T05 and T05FX, an expensive mistake for that point in time. Now after training for 5 months I'm making a move back to faster rubbers.

says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
Alright, so I didn't jump the gun on a new blade. But my curious nature means I did need to try and investigate what's going on. So being at home today, I decided to see what I could do.

First thing I did was measure the balance point. The complete bat has a balance point around 5.5cm above the end of the handle.
Then, I played around attaching a bit of weight to the end of the handle until the balance felt more familiar. I ended up with a balance point around 2.5-3cm above the end of the handle. Quite a different feel indeed!

Also, I didn't know up until a week ago or so that top-heavy is actually a style that some people prefer. (I thought that it was just something we all had to deal with, with rubbers becoming heavier)
So, I did a bit more reading on the theories of balance and grip. Apparently, the bat-grip style I'm most used to is the pinky-grip. Emphasis on thumb and index finger pinching the handle on the rubber-end of the bat, and using my pinky finger for fine tuning movements. My index finger will run across the balance point.
This is not a very tight grip, or at least it doesn't instill confidence that it is tight enough to hold a stronger swing with a more top-heavy bat. I remember actually losing my bat once or twice mid-topspin as a junior player, so that does illustrate where my issue is in that regard.

Which means, that my issue is a combination of the following:
- The balance of my bat has changed quite drastically
- The way I'm gripping my bat is not very suitable for top-heavy play
- And yes, I *am* rusty, but that doesn't explain why I'm feeling such a difference compared to the old rubber setup I used just a few weeks back. It *could* explain why I'm having a really hard time adjusting.

So back to practical solutions. I didn't have grip tape, but I had the next best thing: paracord. I wrapped my handle with a beautiful purple layer of paracord :D and it feels like this has potential to work. Gonna bring this to the table and see how it feels playing with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
This set up is pretty slow, if your overhitting 100% technique. Go back to the drawing board. Check your stance is correct, you are low, soft knees and your weight is forward, standing upright and using too much arm and wrist to compensate bad posture is often what causes inconsistencies.

The bouncier rubber will exaggerate wrist flicks. Also most rubbers of this style take 3 to 4 weeks to settle, may be overly lively to begin with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
The issue is, my FH just feels very out of whack and insecure, and I'm wondering what the major factor is here.
I don't seem to be able to get my grip and drive working fluidly, top spin shots are going over the table all the time and I'm just not able to hit the ball in the right place, moment and with the correct motion.
It's definitely your technique, not the equipment. I guess you're just rusty as already suggested. Don't think about your bat, there's nothing wrong with it, concentrate on your legs, positioning, preparation, hitting point and the blade angle. You might lack timing, have an inconsistent hitting point also be hitting with your shoulder. If that's the case, do simple drive drills and concentrate on your forearm movement and hip rotation, relax, until you feel the ball and timing, your body works in unison and your drive is effortless and consistent. Then transit smoothly to the topspin motion. Ask your coach to show it to you.

In the meantime watch this, starting from 1:35. The guy in blue is pretty decent ;) Watch his elbow.

Last edited:
Jan 2024
Right, I'm not going to be one of those that doesn't reply when others are right: YOU WERE RIGHT.

1. I balanced the bat I use at work (and plays nice) and its point of balance was very close to the Appelgren+Rakza7's without modifications.
2. Right before yesterdays training session I decided NOT to try the handle wrap but play with the same configuration as before.
3. I had a great session, good feels, hit a few FH top spins here and there and most importantly did not get that awkward jerky pull motion more than maybe once or twice.

Conclusion: I must have been rusty indeed. I do also have a flu to blame, but rusty-by-flu is still rusty :D
Rubber wise, I think I am set for a while. Thanks for the considerations, everyone!