Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One a different note, if you have good feel and a good timing of wrist, you can get a lot more spin than it looks and you get errors from that. I have a serve (that you have prolly already seen) that has a very slow overall movement that makes the opponent think it is very light underspin, which they try to touch over short), but it is medium or light medium, then they net it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Carl, you are not getting the bat acceleration (and the spin) as you are trying to get the fast movement by moving your upper arm forward during the entire stroke. One cannot accelerate this way to well.

It is good to move the upper arm, but only to the point where the elbow in in position, then one should stop or great not move the upper arm and transfer that energy one started to the lower arm and wrist. Once upper arm moves forward to the impact zone, it quits moving as a pivot on the shoulder joint. Instead, the energy is transferred by stabilizing the elbow (and the upper arm) and swinging the lower arm (then wrist snap). The upper arm should be rotating like it has a rod down the middle and one is spinning on the rod. The lower arm goes forward like a hinge on the elbow. The wrist finishes the acceleration part to make the whip efficient.

This is one efficient way to transfer energy into a slow moving heavy spin.

You said it not me ;).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is not a good camera angle but you get a better idea of what DerEchte is talking about. In Mark's video, he has a delayed whip effect that is very hard to pick up unless you know what you are looking for. For below, fast forward to 30 seconds in.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
IDK, haven't read the last posts since this one and you might have already said that, or more likely, you already mentioned it to him on one of our Goon Squad TT gathering missions.
It's all in Brett's video on efficient serve mechanics. Carl knows better with his drumstick motion on his hook serve, but for some reason, he isn't applying it here. MAybe it is because his attempt to hold the ball as long as possible is interfering with his mechanics. Holding the ball as long as possible is not the key, getting the right contact depth between ball and rubber/wood is what holds the ball longer. MAny spinny serves are just stabbing motions. You want the ball to be hit so hard that it goes into the wood but not so deep as in a looping motion.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
BH very good whip on BH is pretty much the reverse of what I described on FH, so I revere-engineered it for FH semantics.

I really ought to join up with Brett and William, I am not paying for lessons where I am and it ought to help me.

Weird saying that.

In 2007, I was a recreational player attacking wannabe player with zero coaching or training with a 1400ish rating when I metup with Bogeyhunter (our NexyUSA CEO) he was 1900ish at the time (nowadays, many 1800 in this region play at a higher level than he did back then) Just ten minutes of serve mechanics and explanation is what I got from him, but it revolutionized my level later down the road.

At the first few session of trying to serve short, all I did was shoot missile projectiles off the side of my blade and endanger the public in general. However, 3-5 minutes a day practice in a Telephone trailer in Iraq helped my get closer to something that was efficient whip mechanics.

Bogeyhunter is now 2300s level and I am 1900s level (and ought to explode next tourney) so now I am at or above his level at the time I met him in 2007. At that time, I thought that if I could get to his level of 1900s, I would absolutely love TT and could be ahppy with that level forever. Now that I am at or above that level, I more and more realize what I still do not know about this sport and an not stisfied until I can achieve another 2-3 levels.

OK, all that to say that just ten minutes impacted my TT life. If I (any any ole Joe or Jane) would signup with Brett's program, one could do what i did or better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NextLevel

I only really focus on the whip mechanics when I practice serve. If I miss the timing, I miss it. I missed a lot today.

I will still keep in mind what you said. To not get unfocused.

Let me put it to you another way. If I am working with Brett on something, until he approves the video of what I am doing or until I am tired of trying and give up, I continue to send him video for comments because I want to be sure that he is convinced that I am on the right path, or that I have something that will at least get better. There is a time the video stops - it doesn't go on forever, or at least, not on the same things. Brett will mostly be criticizing my backspin serve based on match footage now and not because he is trying to fix my technique, though he might point out something if it is slipping.

Your last video provoked a lot of questions and got you feedback. Avoid going off on your own until you have an approved routine to practice. Carl asked you for video of a drill to help, and you know what to do, but you haven't received feedback that you are doing it correctly or that it is heading in the right direction. It is even good to submit the mistakes because at least, people can tell you are trying to do it correctly. Good coaches don't care about mistakes, they know those will go away. They care about technique because they know that stays.

But if you want to do it all by yourself, by all means, go ahead. Just record yourself even if you don't want to share with others because it is hard to hold yourself accountable if you can't see what you do. The feeling of what happens can be pretty deceptive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I will say I am shy of posting pix/vids of myself over the net. Carl posted a video of us warming up sometime ago, so you can all blame him for seeing my ugly mug from time to time :)

Archo, you are not shy one little bit in posting as well as posting videos unlike some 2400+ player on this thread. You've gotten feedback from your vids already. Keep on posting!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today I went to another club to train. I found someone there to do some topspin drills and then falkenberg steps until i was dead :D

After that i played with a young penholder who had awesome form but seemed to lack coordination. So we did third ball practice and i tried to show him how his positioning on receive was wrong. Without telling him but with doing the serves he couldn't catch over and over.

Then a 1900 player challenged me to a match. He was the rising star in their club, he is winning everything at the moment.
We played and i got the first game 11:7 with putting his short pushes even shorter and then flicking the return. This was the first time forehand flicks worked for me in a match!

Second game went 11:9 to him he caught me off guard with very spiny topspins. In the third game I accustomed to his spin and hit some awesome counter topspins, his topspins were mostly high with tons of spin so i just put all my weight into the ball and tried to grip the ball with the racket as NL had shown me. Sometimes he managed to counter those shots and that was scary! One time He opened up, i countered into his backhand, he countered back into my forehand. AT this point i was standing very close to table and i just smashed the ball with a squatting forehand into his wide forehand! It felt so good!!It worked and I won it 11:8.

In the fourth I went up 10:8, but he managed to catch up and we went up until 19:17 I think. He won it, now its 2:2 and i am starting to feel really tired!

In the last game i did only attack with my backhand as i had not enough force to do a forehand pivot. it was 8:8 he then made two open up faults! 10:8 I was breathing rly hard. Then the final ball was thrown into play. And i could smash the ball into his wide forehand and his block went long! AAAA relief!

I won 3:2! I hadn't thought in my dreams that i could beat him! After that i was so dead. MY feet felt rly sore, because of my new Mizuno shoes, they arrived and are great. Maybe a bit too big... but i can wear em just fine.

Somehow the best matches are always off camera! Maybe i played better because i was warmed up rly well. In official matches i never feel warmed up and topspins feel awkward most of times.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Today I went to another club to train. I found someone there to do some topspin drills and then falkenberg steps until i was dead :D

After that i played with a young penholder who had awesome form but seemed to lack coordination. So we did third ball practice and i tried to show him how his positioning on receive was wrong. Without telling him but with doing the serves he couldn't catch over and over.

Then a 1900 player challenged me to a match. He was the rising star in their club, he is winning everything at the moment.
We played and i got the first game 11:7 with putting his short pushes even shorter and then flicking the return. This was the first time forehand flicks worked for me in a match!

Second game went 11:9 to him he caught me off guard with very spiny topspins. In the third game I accustomed to his spin and hit some awesome counter topspins, his topspins were mostly high with tons of spin so i just put all my weight into the ball and tried to grip the ball with the racket as NL had shown me. Sometimes he managed to counter those shots and that was scary! One time He opened up, i countered into his backhand, he countered back into my forehand. AT this point i was standing very close to table and i just smashed the ball with a squatting forehand into his wide forehand! It felt so good!!It worked and I won it 11:8.

In the fourth I went up 10:8, but he managed to catch up and we went up until 19:17 I think. He won it, now its 2:2 and i am starting to feel really tired!

In the last game i did only attack with my backhand as i had not enough force to do a forehand pivot. it was 8:8 he then made two open up faults! 10:8 I was breathing rly hard. Then the final ball was thrown into play. And i could smash the ball into his wide forehand and his block went long! AAAA relief!

I won 3:2! I hadn't thought in my dreams that i could beat him! After that i was so dead. MY feet felt rly sore, because of my new Mizuno shoes, they arrived and are great. Maybe a bit too big... but i can wear em just fine.

Somehow the best matches are always off camera! Maybe i played better because i was warmed up rly well. In official matches i never feel warmed up and topspins feel awkward most of times.

True, sometimes i win games that i thought i am not ready for and in another time i lose easier games even if i am full ready.

2 weeks ago i played in our town club in their TT small rom, not the academy that i go very often far to my town, and there i played 2 kids, one of them is out of the game since long time, i don't know how because he is still a kid, and the other one is one of the kids who are training there almost everyday with the coach.

I played the first one who is out of TT since long time and i won him 2-0 and he stopped, then i played the other one, i underestimated him, so he won 2 first, then i continued with him and i changed my strategy so i won 3, if it was a best of 3 then i will be a loser, i thought they aren't good yet because they are training since years and still not getting much of it, and the coach is always complaining to me that he doesn't have enough time and space to train them well and he is alone, but that match showed me few things, one is that i should never underestimate anyone even if he is a very beginner one, so definitely not someone who is training nearly everyday even he is still not higher level, two, i have to play seriously and put my style and control when i can, and i confess that in many games i lost because of me more than it is by them, i am not talking about very high skilled players, but i mean with some average or intermediate and little advanced players.

Played games is always a fun when it is not in a tournament sometimes, i played with my regular training partner and sometimes he is beating me a lot and sometimes i beat him a lot, but sounds i just let him win more than me and i just feel happy, he is really making me getting into TT since long time, so i understand your point playing with some and you both getting close in games, with this regular friends mostly in thursday we have nearly 3-4 hours together, we make something like 1-2 hours for practice and 1-2 for playing, sometimes it is only practice day, so we play like 10 times best of 3 or best of 5, even sometimes we don't count it like this, we just play and play until the time is late then leave, but i really feel the last plays i lose more to him, so i decided and plan to train/practice more so i can beat him again more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
@boogers

Congrats on the win! Sounds like an epic day of table tennis all together. I wish I had the mental drive/focusing ability to be able to do drills for longer periods of time. I'm super glad to hear the shoes you bought multiple of by accident are working great haha. Wish you would have recorded so we could see how well you handle the exhaustion.

Visually seeing how a passionate player is developing through their recordings has been good fun for me. Glad to see your updates, keep up the hard work!

True, sometimes i win games.
Nice!

This user has no status.

Is it really? is that so?
So, if i chose someone who i can beat and i video myself beating him to show you, is that what you look for? or is it only important for you that i video myself losing badly so you keep trolling me and making a fun of me, so don't know what is nice for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
@boogers

Congrats on the win! Sounds like an epic day of table tennis all together. I wish I had the mental drive/focusing ability to be able to do drills for longer periods of time. I'm super glad to hear the shoes you bought multiple of by accident are working great haha. Wish you would have recorded so we could see how well you handle the exhaustion.

Visually seeing how a passionate player is developing through their recordings has been good fun for me. Glad to see your updates, keep up the hard work!

Nice!

Thanks for your encouraging words Shuki! Like this its even more motivating to post updates!

Going to bed now. Gn8 y all! It indeed was an epic day of tabletennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Is it really? is that so?
So, if i chose someone who i can beat and i video myself beating him to show you, is that what you look for? or is it only important for you that i video myself losing badly so you keep trolling me and making a fun of me, so don't know what is nice for you.

video is nice no matter how you play, it allows others to see how seriously they should take advice from you. Imagine someone who's never played before claiming they have played all their life and giving advice to people on this forum. People would listen to that advice because they think that person has a lot of experience. That's not a good thing. Not all advice should be taken.

It goes the opposite direction too, imagine you're a super good player but people think you're bad by the way you post. They won't listen to any of your advice because they think you're bad even though it may help.

I'm a professional player, better than ma long. and I can tell you for a fact that if you practice by playing on one foot instead of two, you'll get better 5 times as fast!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Tareq, I also want to apologize. If you feel I've been making fun of you that's completely my fault and I should have been more conscious as to how what I said would make you feel. In my head it was playful teasing, but a bully never considers themselves a bully.

This user has no status.
video is nice no matter how you play, it allows others to see how seriously they should take advice from you. Imagine someone who's never played before claiming they have played all their life and giving advice to people on this forum. People would listen to that advice because they think that person has a lot of experience. That's not a good thing. Not all advice should be taken.

It goes the opposite direction too, imagine you're a super good player but people think you're bad by the way you post. They won't listen to any of your advice because they think you're bad even though it may help.

I'm a professional player, better than ma long. and I can tell you for a fact that if you practice by playing on one foot instead of two, you'll get better 5 times as fast!

I understand you point, but sometimes there are people who are trying to keep their opinions as facts even if it is not valid, and i see some giving advices here even if they are still not mastered it or doing it fully properly, so who should give advice then? i can put videos and give advices, but sometimes it is more than that, i am a photographer, and i posted a lot of my photos in many forums, and i have experiences with cameras and lenses, but my posts isn't getting much attention against others who are well known in those forums and very popular near of them because i am far away and not part of that region, and looking at their photos i feel they are still need more to learn, but it is that they are well related and have social communication there, so i am like lost even with my best photography and knowledge and experience.

So, here it is like there are few members who are taking al the lights, so whatever they are doing and showing are well watched and listened even if it is not the best out there, and i made very bad mistakes trying to ask questions and then advise when i am still not well known here, and giving advises is not only for only experienced people, we have a saying here in arab world, it says "Ask the experienced one and don't ask the doctor", so do you think the doctor isn't an experienced person? even he is better than many experienced, so even with my little or more experience i can advise, i just returned back to TT since last year and i advised some players in my area and they are happy, even the coach sometimes asking me about gear because his experience is about techniques and skills not much about gear.

At the end, i feel i better just stick my own business and just go have a coach and practice and don't worry/care about what is going on here, i know there are pros here and high level players, but i don't mention them because i don't see them playing here, mostly are those members who are nearly in same my level more or less and trying to show that they are already superior, or they already know a lot better so they only allowed to give advises.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
Tareq, I also want to apologize. If you feel I've been making fun of you that's completely my fault and I should have been more conscious as to how what I said would make you feel. In my head it was playful teasing, but a bully never considers themselves a bully.

And i apologize also to my posts, if i tell someone he is bad or still bad doesn't mean i want to make joke on him, at least i wanted him to challenge me in face and prove he is much good more than i expected, also sorry if i misjudged your skills or underestimate you, but i got that judge from watching players in my area who are training for a while doing better than you and i could win most of them, and i feel we are still far from high level, i showed some of videos here to the coach and he told me simply that many players in the academy can smash them, so i got that kind of wrong judgment, it can be an illusion too, but at the end, you trying your best, i am trying my best, and i shouldn't judge yet, and one day i will post videos of myself doing something, but i hope it will not be late after all or many here are trolling and making fun of me already.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The only way to correctly judge the video of somebody elses level is to make a video of yourself and compare it to the other guys video without ego .... in general for every sport and more so table tennis , things look much more slower and less complicated in video than in real life ... and in table tennis most of the nuances are lost while viewing the video unless you have a very trained eye for watching videos ..

And i apologize also to my posts, if i tell someone he is bad or still bad doesn't mean i want to make joke on him, at least i wanted him to challenge me in face and prove he is much good more than i expected, also sorry if i misjudged your skills or underestimate you, but i got that judge from watching players in my area who are training for a while doing better than you and i could win most of them, and i feel we are still far from high level, i showed some of videos here to the coach and he told me simply that many players in the academy can smash them, so i got that kind of wrong judgment, it can be an illusion too, but at the end, you trying your best, i am trying my best, and i shouldn't judge yet, and one day i will post videos of myself doing something, but i hope it will not be late after all or many here are trolling and making fun of me already.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
The only way to correctly judge the video of somebody elses level is to make a video of yourself and compare it to the other guys video without ego .... in general for every sport and more so table tennis , things look much more slower and less complicated in video than in real life ... and in table tennis most of the nuances are lost while viewing the video unless you have a very trained eye for watching videos ..

I think he's mixing me up with Carl. Carl posted quite a few videos explaining things to him. But yea you're 100% right, i don't know what level it is that players can see skill level better, or if it's a gradual change. But I noticed in recent thread "weird playing style", a LOT of people on this forum couldn't see how good the blocker was.