Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
That return should still get you mostly backspin, no? I tend to think of lobs and fishes as having mostly topspin/sidespin. Philippe does have interesting style, though, not a classic chopper. :rolleyes:

not a lot of backspin. Plus they are high. It depends on what your definition of lob is, I guess. To me, a lob is a defensive stroke played away from the table that doesn't have loop/chop amounts of spin.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
not a lot of backspin. Plus they are high. It depends on what your definition of lob is, I guess. To me, a lob is a defensive stroke played away from the table that doesn't have loop/chop amounts of spin.

A lob is actually a heavy spin shot.

I understand what you are saying but I am more with pgpg on this. A lob messes you up because it kicks and it is hard to track the bounce - I have never felt this way playing Philippe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
A lob is actually a heavy spin shot.

I understand what you are saying but I am more with pgpg on this. A lob messes you up because it kicks and it is hard to track the bounce - I have never felt this way playing Philippe.

I do know that good lobs have lots of spin, just not enough to be considered heavy; otherwise, it'd be a high loop. But back to the question: can a high, light backspin shot be considered a lob?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
my understanding ... these terminologies have everything to do with the how high or low the arc is , it has nothing to do with the amount of spin ...
I do know that good lobs have lots of spin, just not enough to be considered heavy; otherwise, it'd be a high loop. But back to the question: can a high, light backspin shot be considered a lob?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
'O great creator of being grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives.'
~Jim Morrison

Had fun last night for 2 hours straight. I didn't play any matches, just practiced. No video. So "in" the moment, didn't remember to record myself. Will try for next week for video.

With P, like last week, he attacked, I blocked. I didn't mix in too much RPB or SH with P. 1 hour straight. We were doing FH and BH for 55 mins. We started on pushing drill for 5 mins before someone called next. I thanked P and left. We are close in level, give or take 1. With the tensor rubbers, I still cannot push low, balls pop up high. Need more work. I sometimes push/float to the middle of the table, and sometimes I did my oldschool pushing and angled it extremely to one side. Caught P flatfooted a few times with these angled pushes.

Went to hit with "Mommy"... I am a little above her in level so I always only blocked for her to develop her strokes. Lately she has been taking lessons and is trying to get a RPB. I mixed in SH BH and RPB with her, but mostly I TPB for her. 45 mins.

Hit with an older gentleman for 15 mins before i had to call it quits. Apologized to him but i was beat. I also walk home which is at least 20 mins, so I needed some energy LOL He told Mommy that he likes to push-block with me, he prides himself on having a good push-block but knows I'm a little above his level. He is pretty steady in block/push-block. I mixed in SH BH and RPB.

My friend M was sitting on side watching and he repeated what he has said to me in the past. When I started hitting with the American Hinoki WRC 9mm in trying to learn a RPB, I had used the blade as SH and surprisingly for an oldschool penholder, my SH BH is decent.

*monster's ears perks up* ;-)

I told him my SH FH is da suck compared to my SH BH... he asked me to hit a few FH and of course, Murphy's Law, hitting in front of him, I was ok LOL Most times though I'm all over with my SH FH, no control. Convinced it's my "Shuki cocked wrist" (SHOUTOUT to Shuki! Where you at bro?) But for now, I'm concentrating on SH BH and RPB.

Had fun, good training with P. Glad to help out other members with their strokes.

Was intending to go 2x to TT this week. Friend from Toronto visited and Tuesday, Mrs OSPH and I took her out to dinner.

Aiming to go 2x to TT next week. And maybe work on FH stroke and FH loop both SH and PH.

As always, may all the net and edge balls go your way DTT CCers!

P.S. Not being humble, just stating facts, or at least what I think are facts about my game/strokes ... Mommy told me the coach she takes lessons from says I have good strokes. I guess we are our own worst critics, but someone watching me hit for a few mins thinks i have good strokes, where i hit for quite a few years and know myself and my strokes... i still am da suck LOL

But as Denzel Washington as Robert McCall said in The Equalizer, "Progress not perfection." I am making a little progress in my RPB and SH BH.

Until

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Just change to Shake Hand Already Jack !!!! lol !!! you know it was coming :p
'O great creator of being grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives.'
~Jim Morrison

Had fun last night for 2 hours straight. I didn't play any matches, just practiced. No video. So "in" the moment, didn't remember to record myself. Will try for next week for video.

With P, like last week, he attacked, I blocked. I didn't mix in too much RPB or SH with P. 1 hour straight. We were doing FH and BH for 55 mins. We started on pushing drill for 5 mins before someone called next. I thanked P and left. We are close in level, give or take 1. With the tensor rubbers, I still cannot push low, balls pop up high. Need more work. I sometimes push/float to the middle of the table, and sometimes I did my oldschool pushing and angled it extremely to one side. Caught P flatfooted a few times with these angled pushes.

Went to hit with "Mommy"... I am a little above her in level so I always only blocked for her to develop her strokes. Lately she has been taking lessons and is trying to get a RPB. I mixed in SH BH and RPB with her, but mostly I TPB for her. 45 mins.

Hit with an older gentleman for 15 mins before i had to call it quits. Apologized to him but i was beat. I also walk home which is at least 20 mins, so I needed some energy LOL He told Mommy that he likes to push-block with me, he prides himself on having a good push-block but knows I'm a little above his level. He is pretty steady in block/push-block. I mixed in SH BH and RPB.

My friend M was sitting on side watching and he repeated what he has said to me in the past. When I started hitting with the American Hinoki WRC 9mm in trying to learn a RPB, I had used the blade as SH and surprisingly for an oldschool penholder, my SH BH is decent.

*monster's ears perks up* ;-)

I told him my SH FH is da suck compared to my SH BH... he asked me to hit a few FH and of course, Murphy's Law, hitting in front of him, I was ok LOL Most times though I'm all over with my SH FH, no control. Convinced it's my "Shuki cocked wrist" (SHOUTOUT to Shuki! Where you at bro?) But for now, I'm concentrating on SH BH and RPB.

Had fun, good training with P. Glad to help out other members with their strokes.

Was intending to go 2x to TT this week. Friend from Toronto visited and Tuesday, Mrs OSPH and I took her out to dinner.

Aiming to go 2x to TT next week. And maybe work on FH stroke and FH loop both SH and PH.

As always, may all the net and edge balls go your way DTT CCers!

P.S. Not being humble, just stating facts, or at least what I think are facts about my game/strokes ... Mommy told me the coach she takes lessons from says I have good strokes. I guess we are our own worst critics, but someone watching me hit for a few mins thinks i have good strokes, where i hit for quite a few years and know myself and my strokes... i still am da suck LOL

But as Denzel Washington as Robert McCall said in The Equalizer, "Progress not perfection." I am making a little progress in my RPB and SH BH.

Until

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
"We'll see."

just change to shake hand already jack !!!! Lol !!! You know it was coming :p

LOLOLOLOL

We'll see.

--------------------

There lived an old farmer who had worked on his fields for many, many years. One day, his horse bolted away. His neighbors dropped in to commiserate with him. “What awful luck,” they tut-tutted sympathetically, to which the farmer only replied, “We’ll see.”

Next morning, to everyone’s surprise, the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How amazing is that!” they exclaimed in excitement. The old man replied, “We’ll see.”

A day later, the farmer’s son tried to mount one of the wild horses. He was thrown on the ground and broke his leg. Once more, the neighbors came by to express their sympathies for this stroke of bad luck. “We’ll see,” said the farmer politely.

The next day, the village had some visitors – military officers who had come with the purpose of drafting young men into the army. They passed over the farmer’s son, thanks to his broken leg. The neighbors patted the farmer on his back – how lucky he was to not have his son join the army! “We’ll see,” was all that the farmer said!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Break a leg !
LOLOLOLOL

We'll see.

--------------------

There lived an old farmer who had worked on his fields for many, many years. One day, his horse bolted away. His neighbors dropped in to commiserate with him. “What awful luck,” they tut-tutted sympathetically, to which the farmer only replied, “We’ll see.”

Next morning, to everyone’s surprise, the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How amazing is that!” they exclaimed in excitement. The old man replied, “We’ll see.”

A day later, the farmer’s son tried to mount one of the wild horses. He was thrown on the ground and broke his leg. Once more, the neighbors came by to express their sympathies for this stroke of bad luck. “We’ll see,” said the farmer politely.

The next day, the village had some visitors – military officers who had come with the purpose of drafting young men into the army. They passed over the farmer’s son, thanks to his broken leg. The neighbors patted the farmer on his back – how lucky he was to not have his son join the army! “We’ll see,” was all that the farmer said!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lots of the old-school are really gunna hate on you for your position. It isn't a good idea to piss-off seniors who carry canes, they could tend to use them and not care about consequences.

Hhahahahahaaahh 23x haha, everyone knows ttmonster in his club is one of the most agreeable and tolerant folk around. I have never seen or heard of him TELLING anyone such and such is mandatory.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
... dude can you please count the number of Penholders in Men's top 10 I think its 1 ... and in Women's Top 10 ... well I think its 0 in Women's top 100 :p ...

Hhahahahahaaahh 23x haha, everyone knows ttmonster in his club is one of the most agreeable and tolerant folk around. I have never seen or heard of him TELLING anyone such and such is mandatory.

lol sorry man I think I pissed him off. My bad hahahahaha. Ya I know right? ttmonster is the nicest person in the club but I think I touched a nerve :) My bad

@Jack: but still man, Jack, if you are already penhold, don't switch to shakehand!
Because Mr. T said don't do it man:

20d26b.jpg

Last edited: